4.2 V6 Oil And Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For years, I've been hearing "only use Motorcraft". I suspected that Motorcraft doesn't actually produce the oil, oil filters, spark plugs, ignitions, et cetera.

I guess it's a chore to unravel the mystery of who makes what. But it would be interesting to find out. Then some of us could, in theory, pay less for the Autolite or Denso, knowing that it's the exact same part.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:33 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I believe Motorcraft oil is from Conoco. Oil filters used to be Purolator. Spark plugs are Honeywell (Autolite). However, the Motorcraft plugs are NOT the same as the equivalent Autolite plugs. Coil on plugs are Denso.

Note that Motorcraft parts are made to Ford specs, not necessarily the same as other brands from the same manufacturer.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
As of 2002, there has been no Conoco. The company merged with Phillips and is Conoco-Phillips with Phillips 66 a spin off company. Yes, they blend and bottle Motorcraft oils. The 5w-20 is known as a white based oil. It's not white in any regards, it's actually crystal clear and extremely pure. It will have a Viscosity Index normally at just under 150. The VI is what makes the oil spread across several viscosity ranges without the use of any sludge causing polymers. It's been a cheap date considering what is in the bottle.

Oil filters wearing the Motorcraft brand are made by Purolator and Champion Labs to Ford specs. Most of the oil filters coming out of the factory on engines are made by Champion, some of which come grey in color. Again, considering what's in the can, the Motorcraft oil filters are a bargain.

Spark plugs as per glc plus NGK makes the iridium plugs in Japan. The new 2.3 EB engine uses iridium plugs and you'll be seeing more engines calling for them.

When comparing parts pricing, you're hard pressed to beat Motorcraft parts. They are made for your vehicle, not a one fits all kinda thing. Versus other brands, Motorcraft parts work better and last longer. If you compare pricing vs other brands of cars/trucks, Motorcraft is a cheap date vs the likes of Toyota whose parts are astronomical. Toyota has been under the Gov'ts watchful eye for price gouging on parts. Consider that if you think a Toyota is a good deal. My little brother thought Toyota was a great deal until he had to replace a steering box in his Tacoma. Try $4800.00 plus installation. Exhaust system over $1,000., parts only. You'll never know just how good a vehicle is until you have it long enough to need parts. You can keep the foreign made crap.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you compare pricing vs other brands of cars/trucks, Motorcraft is a cheap date vs the likes of Toyota
As for cost of long term ownership, Ford is probably one of the better manufacturers for pricing of it's Motorcraft parts. You are correct. Almost all other brands price their parts really high. The most common service, an oil change, can cost an arm and a leg if you are using OEM branded oil & filter. A Motorcraft filter can still be found for $3 - $4, over the counter, and they are sold just about everywhere for that price. Try buying an oil filter from Honda, or any European brand.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:40 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
This is for a case of 12.

Quick Reply: 4.2 V6 Oil And Filter