2015 super cab XLT 2.7 with 33Kmiles , no CRANK, bad STARTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 super cab XLT 2.7 with 33Kmiles , no CRANK, bad STARTER

While on vacation in Maine I was stranded with no crank. Due to the cold I assumed (incorrectly) it was the battery and replaced it the next day at my expense. Still no crank so Ford Roadside towed it to the nearest dealer. Dealer wanted to know if I bought it from them. They said it started for them but that they would change the starter under warranty but because there was a “nationwide backorder” on the starter, they couldn’t say when the part would come in. After leaving it at the dealer for three more days I checked in with them and still no part and still no date when they might expect it. They reminded me of the “nationwide backorder” and that because it was such a new part it was hard to get. I removed the splash shield had had my wife crank it while I tapped on the starter with a tool and got it running. Took it to a dealer closer to my home who said they had no issue with parts availability and fixed it.

I thought the starters are supposed to be “beefed up” versions since they undergo many more start cycles because of the Auto-Start function (which I disable almost all the time). The faulty starter was in great external condition, had no appearance of corrosion, and the main body case was painted gray. I noticed the replacement starter body case appeared the same but was unpainted. We will see how long it lasts. Disappointing support and unnecessary runaround provided by the dealer network. Makes you think twice about travelling very far from home. Even though you didn’t buy it from them you would think that while traveling you would get taken care of especially when traveling and especially when still in warranty! This is my fourth new F150 and after 2+ years with it I am unimpressed with quality and design. Between not starting/leaving me stranded, the rough shifting transmission (including thump when coming to a stop), and the poor turning radius/maneuverability (like driving a big boxy aircraft carrier), it is a chore to drive. It won’t fit into the garage that all the other F150’s (same model type) would fit in.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Sorry to hear you are unhappy. Some dealers are just flat out weird or old school. That's not how you treat a warrantied customer.

As far as being unhappy with the truck, I can't help you there. Seems like you are looking for something else.

All I know is that nothing is perfect.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply! No, not really looking for something else since this is my fourth new F150. Rather, looking for quality and reliability in fundamental product attributes. If it won't crank and leaves you stranded and the tranny doesn't shift well and gives you the occasional thump well after you have come to a complete stop, then something is missing. After 40+ years of being #1 we should excel in all the fundamentals and be way better in the basics. I don't think that (at least through warranty) asking it to start reliably and shift flawlessly is asking for too much especially considering the price. My previous three new F150s were better with all the fundamentals and never ever left me stranded. You are right though, nothing is perfect, especially the dealer network. We used to study Ford Q1 and continuous improvement. They need to go back to fundamentals and get it right up front. "Quality is a function of design, not of control of the manufacturing process however stringent". W.E. Deming I think......

I wish I could still purchase a "ManualF150" Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2015 super cab XLT 2.7 with 33Kmiles , no CRANK, bad STARTER