Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start

My husband and I have a 1985 F150 with a straight 6 engine and 4 speed manual transmission. About a month ago we were driving and when we came to a stop it died while coasting down.Now the engine with turn over but no fire. We have tried jumping it, new battery, new voltage regulator, and new distributer cap. The truck was running fine and had no issues prior. We have another F150 (93 with 5speed manual tyranny and dual tanks) that has a bad transmission . We swapped the distributer cap, wires and ignition coil and the 93 starts with parts for either truck, the 85 does not. I am at a loss at this point. Fuel pump is good, battery good, wires good. The only other thing I can think of would be a ground. Where on this truck are the grounds?

Old 08-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
have you checked the codes? You say the fuel pump is good. Have you verified the pressure? If you have fuel pressure, the problem is probably electric.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:22 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you checked for presence of spark and fuel? You have a carburetor, take off the air cleaner and work the throttle linkage, do you see fuel spraying down the throat? Remove a plug wire from a plug, put a screwdriver tip into the boot and hold it near a ground, do you see a spark when cranking it? Have you changed the fuel filter?