2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just out of the shop. There was an overheat code in the system. Essentially the tech got a basic canned response about making sure the truck is not overloaded, was the A/C on etc. The rest of the response was exactly this: "if the vehicle is not overloaded and normal diagnostics are completed per Section 303-03 of the WSM with no faults identified, with the concern only being duplicated while towing, the vehicle is not being overloaded, and no faults can be identified using Section 303-03 Engine Cooling of the Workshop manual, then no further diagnostics or repairs should be made. When the warning indicator comes on in the message center, it does not necessarily mean that the engine is overheating. This is supported by the temperature gauge spiking. A fail-safe cooling strategy is being implemented to prevent an overheat condition from occurring. The vehicle is operating as designed for the driving conditions (extreme heat, road grade, load) in which it is being operated in."

Wow, what a mouthful and some doesn't even make sense to me. I understand (and believe) the truck was not overheating but now with 63000 km on it, a one time only recent PCM "update" at 60000 km and with my history pulling the EXACT same trailer on the EXACT same hills and never seeing the gauge even move slightly they obviously have changed something in the pcm that isn't reading the CHT sensor properly is how I see it but didn't even mention the temp sensor. A bigger issue that comes to mind is safety related. What is a driver to do when he sees these warnings? First thing that comes to my mind is quickly find a place to stop. Have these engineers ever driven through the mountains? Isn't always a easy or safe thing to do. Second, my trailer doesn't even come close to the trailer towing limits my truck is rated at. The truck is rated (by Ford) to pull max of 11000 plus as equipped and my trailer absolutely maxed out is 7200#. I live almost 4 hrs away from the mountains so reproducing the situation is not practical.

Hmmm, now I'm frustrated. I'm confident I won't see the problem driving or even towing around my area but what about the next time I hit the mountains?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have towed this same stretch with the same trailer before what was the temp difference on the two days? Might your radiator have more bugs and dirt in it now?

If you see the truck getting hotter downshift and make the engine spin faster. That will pump coolant through the system faster and help drop the temps down.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:01 PM
There isn't a bug on my rad. Have had screen covered since 2nd day I owned it. Ambient temp MAY have been a little higher although at this time of year its generally 30 degrees plus in that area. The thing that really bugs me is it was at relatively high revs with the A/C blowing (3rd gear at about 4-4200 RPM at 95-100 km/hr). As soon as I crested the hill and the truck shifted to 4th then quickly to 5th the heat gauge dropped from fully pegged to below half in a matter of 2-3 seconds. On subsequent hilly sections I would watch the temp gauge an it would eventually climb to about 3/4 up the gauge, I would let off and shift and again it would IMMEDIATELY drop to normal. In some of these places this action may not be safe. Again, been same place, same trailer (way under max spec) but new programming.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Also as mentioned, mine did show an overheat code that the tech cleared.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant can't cool off that quickly. Find the test mode procedure and try it next time. This will show you what values the temp sensor is sending to the PCM. This will point you in the right direcTo enter the IC dealer test mode:

EDIT:
To get into the test mode
- On the cluster, hold the SELECT/RESET button in
- Turn ignition switch to RUN (I think the second position)
- Hold SELECT/RESET button in for about 5 seconds until display says ENGINEERING TEST MODE
- Then press the button in to cycle thru all the stages of the self test.

To exit, just hold the button in for about 3 seconds or just turn ignition to OFF.tion for the source of the problem.

Last edited by Wookie; 07-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM
That's exactly why I think its simply a programming / sensor issue. Thanks for the info Wookie, appreciated.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Also, this is a lariat so is there a different procedure to enter test mode? There is no select / reset button.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 5land
Also, this is a lariat so is there a different procedure to enter test mode? There is no select / reset button.
I think you push and hold the "OK" button on the steering wheel, but I'm relying on my sometimes faulty memory in writing this.

- Jack

Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by 5land
Well, just out of the shop. There was an overheat code in the system. Essentially the tech got a basic canned response about making sure the truck is not overloaded, was the A/C on etc. The rest of the response was exactly this: "if the vehicle is not overloaded and normal diagnostics are completed per Section 303-03 of the WSM with no faults identified, with the concern only being duplicated while towing, the vehicle is not being overloaded, and no faults can be identified using Section 303-03 Engine Cooling of the Workshop manual, then no further diagnostics or repairs should be made. When the warning indicator comes on in the message center, it does not necessarily mean that the engine is overheating. This is supported by the temperature gauge spiking. A fail-safe cooling strategy is being implemented to prevent an overheat condition from occurring. The vehicle is operating as designed for the driving conditions (extreme heat, road grade, load) in which it is being operated in."

Wow, what a mouthful and some doesn't even make sense to me. I understand (and believe) the truck was not overheating but now with 63000 km on it, a one time only recent PCM "update" at 60000 km and with my history pulling the EXACT same trailer on the EXACT same hills and never seeing the gauge even move slightly they obviously have changed something in the pcm that isn't reading the CHT sensor properly is how I see it but didn't even mention the temp sensor. A bigger issue that comes to mind is safety related. What is a driver to do when he sees these warnings? First thing that comes to my mind is quickly find a place to stop. Have these engineers ever driven through the mountains? Isn't always a easy or safe thing to do. Second, my trailer doesn't even come close to the trailer towing limits my truck is rated at. The truck is rated (by Ford) to pull max of 11000 plus as equipped and my trailer absolutely maxed out is 7200#. I live almost 4 hrs away from the mountains so reproducing the situation is not practical.

Hmmm, now I'm frustrated. I'm confident I won't see the problem driving or even towing around my area but what about the next time I hit the mountains?
Hey 5land,

My offer still stands to look into this for you. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM the previously requested info.

Nick

Old 07-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Info sent Nick.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Same Issue

I had this same issue with my ecoboost last week plugging a camper. Did you ever find a solution?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ovht
I had this same issue with my ecoboost last week plugging a camper. Did you ever find a solution?
Welcome to the forum, Ovht. What's your rig's model year/mileage? Did you have your dealer inspect to see what was causing your truck to overheat?

Crystal

Old 07-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Isn't this a "normal" response to high engine load conditions? Here is a quote from my 2014 Owner's Manual:
Engine Fluid Temperature Management (If Equipped)
WARNINGS
To reduce the risk of collision and injury, be prepared that the vehicle speed may reduce and the vehicle may not be able to accelerate with full power until the fluid temperatures reduce.
Never remove the coolant reservoir cap while the engine is running or hot.

Your vehicle can pull a trailer, but because of the added load, your vehicle’s engine may temporarily reach higher temperatures during severe operating conditions such as ascending a long or steep grade while pulling a trailer in high temperatures.
At this time, you may notice your engine coolant temperature gauge needle move toward the H and the POWER REDUCED TO LOWER TEMP message may appear in the information display. You may notice a reduction in vehicle
speed caused by reduced engine power. In order to manage the engine fluid temperatures, your vehicle may enter this mode if certain high-temperature and high-load conditions take place. The amount of speed reduction depends on many factors such as vehicle loading, towing, grade and ambient temperature.

If this occurs, there is no need to pull off the road. You can continue to drive your vehicle while this message is active.

The air conditioning may also cycle on and off during severe operating conditions to protect overheating of the engine. When the engine coolant temperature decreases to a normal operating temperature, the air conditioning will turn on once again.
So, as I see it, the system is just telling you to slow down a bit. Possibly, operating in a lower gear will help too, since it should move coolant faster. But, the added RPMs may also generate additional heat, so it may be a wash.

It goes on to say if you get a CEL, and the temperature gauge is at full hot, you should pull over and let things cool down with the engine running and the transmission in Park. If it doesn't cool down this way, turn the engine off.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 07-31-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 PM
So I have now been to a Ford Dealer 3 times and had over 12 conversations with Ford Service Personnel. All of this equalled NO SOLUTION! 5Land's post above is what all of my visits to the dealer and conversations with Ford's Customer Care department resulted in...my vehicle is operating under normal protocols. So I wish I could tell you more but what I can tell you is dealing with the Ford Customer Care department was a complete waste of time as they are not mechanics and don't have any stroke with the dealers or the manufacturer. I want to be clear that my Ford Customer Service person was very professional and a pleasure to deal with but if you are looking for results; good luck. This is clearly not a new or unique problem with this engine and it took the customer care team over 3 weeks to tell me they can't help me along with the canned response. Surely, they have a database with this problem imputed that they could have spared me several trips to the dealer and costs for rental vehicles.

Sorry for my rant but I thought I would save any of you the waste of time in dealing with the Ford Customer Care team as they won't and can't do a thing. My guess is that Ford has a lot of information on this topic as there are several F150's that have done this but it is easier and cheaper to say that it is operating under normal protocols than admit there is some problem than could be fixed and expose a potential recall etc.

I love the product and my dealer but I am very disappointed in the lack of support and care from the manufacturer.

Sorry I am not much help. Hopefully someone else has a better experience with a solution. Would be nice if the manufacturer stepped up and supported the product they are selling to the public.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by colbray
So I have now been to a Ford Dealer 3 times and had over 12 conversations with Ford Service Personnel. All of this equalled NO SOLUTION! 5Land's post above is what all of my visits to the dealer and conversations with Ford's Customer Care department resulted in...my vehicle is operating under normal protocols. So I wish I could tell you more but what I can tell you is dealing with the Ford Customer Care department was a complete waste of time as they are not mechanics and don't have any stroke with the dealers or the manufacturer. I want to be clear that my Ford Customer Service person was very professional and a pleasure to deal with but if you are looking for results; good luck. This is clearly not a new or unique problem with this engine and it took the customer care team over 3 weeks to tell me they can't help me along with the canned response. Surely, they have a database with this problem imputed that they could have spared me several trips to the dealer and costs for rental vehicles.

Sorry for my rant but I thought I would save any of you the waste of time in dealing with the Ford Customer Care team as they won't and can't do a thing. My guess is that Ford has a lot of information on this topic as there are several F150's that have done this but it is easier and cheaper to say that it is operating under normal protocols than admit there is some problem than could be fixed and expose a potential recall etc.

I love the product and my dealer but I am very disappointed in the lack of support and care from the manufacturer.

Sorry I am not much help. Hopefully someone else has a better experience with a solution. Would be nice if the manufacturer stepped up and supported the product they are selling to the public.
Hey colbray,

I completely understand your frustration. I suggest to continue working with your CSM on this, as they're in the best position to assist. I'll be here if you need me.

Nick

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills