Should we worry about the ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Should we worry about the ecoboost?

After reading all the complaints and watching the video one posted on here about carbon build up on the ecoboost, should we worry about the future of our current truck? Mine is a 2011 and i have not had any issues that have been described from other owners. Of course mine has not hit 22k miles yet either so i dont drive mine for long drives and dont have the higher mileage just yet. Lets have some "educated" debate on this. Im sure there has been other postings on this and my take on it is i really dont think Ford will let all their hard work and advertisement be for waste and open up all kinds of lawsuits over an engine issue. I would hope that they have a fix for most of the issues described and i dont think the engine is a bad engine. Just some bugs to work out here and there. Should I worry, should we worry? I dont want to sell or trade my truck since i ordered exactly what i wanted and i love my truck. But i also dont want problems down the road and cost me a ton of money to fix.

If we can use a comparison, i would compare it similarly to the 6.0 diesel that Ford had so many problems with. You heard of many issue but not everyone had an issue or the same issue. Are we repeating history with similar circumstances? I purchased the Ecoboost based upon the testing that Ford had apparently done with he engine and felt better that it wasn't "brand new" and had been out for a couple of years in other vehicles. Now, I dont want to panic and jump ship just to have other issues with another vehicle if there is nothing to really worry about. I have considered waiting for the 2015's to come out and see what the pricing and rebates are before making a decision but again, i am gun-shy about getting first year models for fear of problems to work out. I dont know. I could use some educated advice. There are tons of Ecoboosts on the road and dont believe that there could be an issue with all of them.

Chime in if you agree with me or disagree on the issues whether to worry or not. How many issues have there been on the 5.0? That would have been my other choice when i got one but really liked the specs of the Ecoboost and it hasn't disappointed me. No problems related to the truck because its an Ecoboost, but had other issues that were resolved. A couple of things I dont think we should have to deal with on a brand new vehicle and some things that i think Ford could do better with quality assurance. But other than that I am a die-hard Ford fan.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All i will say is its the internet.. People come on here to complain about issues they are having and look for advice.. Not many posts about how great their truck is.. How many Eb's have been sold in the F150 since 2011? I pretty sure its a big number so the actual complaints about the eb not that bad

There are some issues with the 5.0 also.. As i wont get into those cause i dont want to start a pissing match..

Main thing im saying is drive the truck like you have been doing.. And not worry about it. Im at 32k miles in 13 months and not one hiccup.. Other than the rearend clunk and its not just a eb problem.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
People come on here to complain about issues they are having
Yup

There are some issues with the 5.0 also.
Yup

Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about it. There are many with or approaching 100,000 miles already with no problems. I did install catch cans on mine and do get some oil in them but I wanted to see how much over an extended period of time. Mine runs very strong with no issues at all.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
If you listened to the video, he said the only problem was with a misfire when below operating temperature. Runs fine otherwise. If that's the "major" problem, I think it's OK.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well i do agree with you all on it. I just hate to hear complaints because im usually one to get the bad end of the deal on something like this. My luck may have changed though, like i said, no problems with mine at all. I absolutely love mine. I did see that about the misfire issue. My problem is i drive 6 miles one way to work. I may have to start taking a longer route to make sure to get it hot and just not worry about it like you said.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
If you listened to the video, he said the only problem was with a misfire when below operating temperature. Runs fine otherwise. If that's the "major" problem, I think it's OK.

The video was a rambling mess. I think the point was only that there is no Ford approved way to clean the valves. Plus, the conference was about a different engine/vehicle. That in 8+ minutes caused more confusion than the video is worth at this point.

Edit: I really should have said "different implementation in a different vehicle"

Last edited by madmaxmutt; 05-22-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Why worry? This engine has been in the Taurus SHO and Flex for longer than the F-150, and I'm seeing a lot of love said for it in those platforms.

I'm keeping mine.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You answered your own question in the second sentence, i have not had any issues. Message boards are full of hypochondriacs, you have to learn how to filter out the moans of people pissing and moaning about problems that don't exist. Ford has sold over 500,000 EBs in the F-150 in 3 model years now. If there really was a real, wide spread issue it would have shown up by now. There have been a few niggles but nothing I would even consider a real problem. I have an early build 2011 with 62,000 on the clock. I have the original intercooler on the truck and have only had the shudder 1 time. That is the only problem I have ever had with the EB.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Thumbs up turbo.

I'm sure Ford have done their home work on their ecoboost. I remember when the 02 supercharged HD and lightning came out. I took a chance and bought one knowing it was supercharged. My son bought the lightning. I have 169000 miles on the HD. Only replace the bearing and gaskets on the super charger at 149000. I drag race this truck for a good while now i just drive and baby it. My son sold his lighning at 13000 miles , new addition to the family. I don't think you have much to worry about enjoy your truck , thats what you wanted.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Old 05-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Had my 2012 for a couple years now and have over 77,000 miles. Running strong as ever. No problems at all.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM
I now have just over 76,000 miles on my 2011 and not a single power train problem. I don't have any performance mods, no catch can, and I have not drilled the drain hole in my CAC. I've changed the spark plugs at 30k and 60k, and I change the oil every 5000 miles.

I asked the service manager at my dealer about that video, and he had not heard anything about it. He asked around other dealers and they had not heard anything about it either. Yesterday I emailed the "Ford Representative" on another forum, asking if this thing was real it not. We'll see what they say.

As someone else said, this is the internet. Unless the message comes from Ford (such as in a TSB), I'm inclined to be skeptical.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM
I didn't get a eb when I got me 2012 just due to the turbos and didn't want a big bill to fix it now iv seen how it has turned out I maybe should have got one my dad had a 11 eb and so did a guy he works with and beside my dads truck having a cat go bad that truck worked great. both eb needed a vac pump by 30,000 miles but that's not a big deal and ford took care of that. I love my 3.7 but I tow ten time more than I thought I would so a 5.0 or a eb would be nice at times. id say if its been agood truck to you so far id stick with it

Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 PM
With everything going on at GM I feel like Ford would have done something already if they deemed it necessary. If so, we will see some changes with the new engine family.

Quick Reply: Should we worry about the ecoboost?