New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Arnason
My radiator fan has been stuck on high for the last two weeks or so. I am in Canada, the tempature outside has been close to freezing. The fan goes to high about five seconds after starting and shuts off about five seconds after the engine is shut off. It sounds like a jet engine. 2102 F-150 Ecoboost about 60,000 miles (100,000 km)
You may have to wait a few years for a service bulletin. You Canadians always get the new stuff first!

- Jack

Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Ford Customer Service
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My radiator fan has been stuck on high for the last two weeks or so. I am in Canada, the tempature outside has been close to freezing. The fan goes to high about five seconds after starting and shuts off about five seconds after the engine is shut off. It sounds like a jet engine. 2102 F-150 Ecoboost about 60,000 miles (100,000 km)
Hi Larry,

We better take care of this issue before weather really drops!
Have you been to the dealer to get i diagnosed yet? Send me a private message with your VIN, full name, phone number, and servicing dealer. I'll see what resources are avilable to help.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Angry My fans are doing the same thing. 2013 Limited Ecoboost

I live in South Carolina and the weather here has been in the 40's to 80's over the past week. If I have my AC on, they are blasting at 100%. If I have no AC on, they are blasting at 100%. Highways, locally, etc.... 100%

Hey FordServiceCA , is there any plans to get this recalled? I only have 55k on my truck.

People think I'm about to blow up when I pull next to them at lights!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 PM
There are 2 relays as I recall, they replaced one on mine along with the full fan assembly. All has been good since then!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Can you post a picture of that 2102 year model?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigRedHHI
I live in South Carolina and the weather here has been in the 40's to 80's over the past week. If I have my AC on, they are blasting at 100%. If I have no AC on, they are blasting at 100%. Highways, locally, etc.... 100%

Hey FordServiceCA , is there any plans to get this recalled? I only have 55k on my truck.

People think I'm about to blow up when I pull next to them at lights!
Welcome to the forum, BigRedHHI! Mathieu is our representative from Ford Service Canada; I help out folks here in the United States. We don't have any information regarding potential recalls; as a next step, I recommend having your truck diagnosed at the dealership. Once they've taken a look, I'll be able to step in and assist, if needed.

Crystal

Old 09-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Did the fix work

My 2012 did not start this until 61,000 miles..a month ago

Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM
i am having the same issue in my 2012 ford f-150 V-8 5.0L flex fuel. lately, past couple of weeks-a month, when I start my truck up the fan will start immediately in high speed and wont stop. temps haven't gotten above 70, typically not higher than 50-60 while driving. ive checked the solenoid and it works properly. any suggestions? I just hit 40k mi.

Last edited by tbbmaintmech; 02-02-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by tbbmaintmech
i am having the same issue in my 2012 ford f-150 V-8 5.0L flex fuel. lately, past couple of weeks-a month, when I start my truck up the fan will start immediately in high speed and wont stop. temps haven't gotten above 70, typically not higher than 50-60 while driving. ive checked the solenoid and it works properly. any suggestions? I just hit 40k mi.

First, make sure your anti freeze is at proper levels. If it is, I would have to say that a trip to the dealer is in order. Unless, you want to start replacing parts on your own. In my case, they replaced the full fan assembly and a relay.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=greenmotion; it becomes annoying really quick when going through a drive-thru.

I love my truck, but this is definitely a huge gripe I have with it. [/QUOTE]

32 degrees celcius today up here in Kitchener, Ontario Canada ( 92 farenheit for Americans ) and had this occur just today. I have 180,000 km on truck and yes I have spent time in the heat pulling a 10,000 lb trailer ... DEATH VALLEY in July ... so not an earth shattering event. My solution to noise in the drive thrus is to NOT USE DRIVETHRUS !! My wife uses drive thrus, I choose the exercise

Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM
has anyone found a fix for the loud fan yet?

Old 07-26-2020, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by greenmotion
Hello everyone;

I just rolled over the 400 mile mark on my new ecoboost and had something happen today that was kinda new.

I am located in Texas and it has been pretty hot lately. When I started the F150, the engine fans almost immediately went into overdrive. I am not sure if they were blowing at their highest setting, but they sure were loud. I figured it would calm down once on the road, but they kept going what sounded like full-speed. (I could hear it from within the cab).

After a 40 minute drive, I decided to pull over and check under the hood. I turned off my truck, looked under the hood, saw nothing unusual and started it back up. Once again the fan(s) spun up to full speed, but once on the road for several minutes, they finally calmed down and occasionally (when traffic slowed down) would spin back up.

To give you an idea, it was probably around 98 degrees here today, but I have never experienced this with my Explorer. Especially not the 45 minute period earlier today during which they were going full blast.

Is this normal? Or are these break-in pains?

Thanks all!
Your expansion valve is clogged. I'm also in TX and my 2014 just started doing it.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Curt Wynn
Your expansion valve is clogged. I'm also in TX and my 2014 just started doing it.
I bought my 5.0 F150 new in 2013 and the fans were loud like that out of the factory for me. The higher the humidity is the more often the fans are running at Afterburner speed. High humidity makes A/C systems (car or house) work much harder to remove the heat and humidity from the air. I've never heard the expansion valve being the culprit but it's worth a check. Just because of this mention, I went and looked into the expansion valve issue and it also appears that can cause your A/C to not be as cool as it can be.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by old ford
I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.
Don't get the V-8 Just bought a 2013 V-8 5.0 and it does the same ****. Don't know what to do now...

Old 03-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Cool Cooling Fan Issues

I have a 2017 F-150 EB XLT with 97K miles. Ever since the dealer performed a cam phaser update due to a recall, the high-speed fan comes on every time I drive somewhere. Before the cam phaser issue, t did not come on nearly as often especially on high. The dealer acknowledged that this was unusual and had several complaints after the cam phaser recall. They ran all the tests that they could and reported that the fans come on when the PCM calls for them to but could not say why the PCM was calling for the fans to come on. I live in Wyoming and the fan comes on high while driving short distances in sub-zero temperatures (-20 f of -28c degrees) as well as warmer Wyoming summer temperatures, so it doesn't seem to matter what the ambient temperature is. I asked the dealer if they checked the A/C but haven't received an answer yet.

Quick Reply: New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high