Another oil leak with pic. Please give insight

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another oil leak with pic. Please give insight

Soooo, another leak, great. I noticed this because of one reason only. Every time I'd shut the drivers door after driving it I'd hear a hiss type sound. Like when dripping water hits a hot surface. However, it only started making the sound with in the last week. It's obviously a drop of oil hitting the hot exhaust.

There are no drips on the ground (because the oil hits the exhaust) and I've checked and double checked, I'm not low on oil.

Obviously this wouldn't have anything to do with it, but the only thing that has changed, was I switched from Pennzoil full synthetic (which I had been running for the past 60k miles) to the motorcraft 5W20 blend. Are there different swelling agents by chance?

Anyway, here's a pic, it's on the drivers side just before the transmission.

I'm about to drive 1300 miles, will I be ok or should I get this taken care of prior?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

If it's losing oil like you claim I am sure it would show on the dipstick. It looks as if the valve cover gasket could be the culprit. Have you checked the the VC bolts to see if they are loose? I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere in the US.
If you DON'T have it checked I hear Valvoline MaxLife and M1 HM oil are some great oils and just might help you out.
If it were mine and I had the money I would get it looked at.
Go here and ask around;
www.bobistheoilguy.com

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
If it's losing oil like you claim I am sure it would show on the dipstick. It looks as if the valve cover gasket could be the culprit. Have you checked the the VC bolts to see if they are loose? I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere in the US.
If you DON'T have it checked I hear Valvoline MaxLife and M1 HM oil are some great oils and just might help you out.
If it were mine and I had the money I would get it looked at.
Go here and ask around;
www.bobistheoilguy.com
Thanks. I'll check the bolts after the cats cool down a bit. My only concern would be oil dripping on the exhaust that close to the engine as it gets very hot.

By the way, what was the outcome for your oil leak?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
By the way, what was the outcome for your oil leak?
Being I am disabled now my cousins or friends help me with my OCIs. They overpoured and it overflowed from the funnel and worked its way down the engine.
BTW, I am currently using Havoline 5W30 conventional oil. It really pi**es off the 5W20 oil worshipers.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Being I am disabled now my cousins or friends help me with my OCIs. They overpoured and it overflowed from the funnel and worked its way down the engine.
BTW, I am currently using Havoline 5W30 conventional oil. It really pi**es off the 5W20 oil worshipers.
Kind of them to help, but that's quite a scare for nothing haha. What advantages do you find with that oil? I've heard this engine can take just about anything. It's mainly those 5.4 guys that have to be picky.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Thumbs up

Before becoming disabled I had lived in FL for 25 years. I would let Ford do all of my oil changes. At the end, before moving back to La., my son helped me change my oil, using MC 5W30. My engine was a bit more quieter.
If I ever use a 5W20 it will either be MS5K or Castrol SynBlend. These 2 oils are the only oils in 5W20 that make my engine run quiet.
The 4.6 and 5.4 NEED the 5W20 for the top end of the engine. The 4.2 was originally designed to use 5W30 and in all of its years of production the tolerances and clearances have never changed.
Try some 5W30 in your engine. You will surprised how quiet it runs.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Before becoming disabled I had lived in FL for 25 years. I would let Ford do all of my oil changes. At the end, before moving back to La., my son helped me change my oil, using MC 5W30. My engine was a bit more quieter.
If I ever use a 5W20 it will either be MS5K or Castrol SynBlend. These 2 oils are the only oils in 5W20 that make my engine run quiet.
The 4.6 and 5.4 NEED the 5W20 for the top end of the engine. The 4.2 was originally designed to use 5W30 and in all of its years of production the tolerances and clearances have never changed.
Try some 5W30 in your engine. You will surprised how quiet it runs.
Sounds good. Since I never had any issues running pennzoil full synthetic, I'm going to go back to that, extend my change intervals a tiny bit and maybe even try it in a 5w30 weight. They may be just enough to stop my small leak. I only like the 5w20 for cold winter start ups. When I'm in Florida, that doesn't matter. But the times I'm in New York or Vermont, it's COLD!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
5w20 doesn't start any better in cold weather than 5w30 - 5w is 5w. 30 is thicker at operating temp.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by glc
5w20 doesn't start any better in cold weather than 5w30 - 5w is 5w. 30 is thicker at operating temp.
Thanks, always get that confused. Local ford dealer said not to use 5w30. But they're just going by their books and never give a good answer for something like that.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
glc
5w30 is more than safe to use in a 4.2. However, I wouldn't use it unless it were an older engine that was burning oil. I have 168k on mine and it isn't burning any more 5w20 than it was at 55k when I bought it. I'm using Mobil 1 EP.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glc's truck rides smooth. Didn't even have any trouble in the Sierra Nevada passes, just cruised right along. Now, his AT&T cell service on the other hand.... Struggled most of the time. Lol!

Hope all has been well with you glc!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM

I'll keep the mc 5w20 blend in there now. Cleaned up the seam that appeared to be leaking and put some rtv on it. It's not gushing and I highly doubt I'd lose half a quart between OCI's. I'll bring it to a ford dealer in Florida and have the leak addressed. I'm not ok with just dealing with it. I'd rather have the leak properly fixed even if it means a bit extra $$.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM
glc
Originally Posted by Randyl9ll
glc's truck rides smooth. Didn't even have any trouble in the Sierra Nevada passes, just cruised right along. Now, his AT&T cell service on the other hand.... Struggled most of the time. Lol!

Hope all has been well with you glc!
What a lot of people don't realize - the 4.2 has more HP and almost as much torque as a stock 302 in the pre-97 trucks.

I'm doing well, thanks!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Local ford dealer said not to use 5w30. But they're just going by their books and never give a good answer for something like that.
Really? The clearances and tolerances are the same from 97 to 08. And, in 97, 5W30 was the spec'd oil.
Imagine that.

Quick Reply: Another oil leak with pic. Please give insight