Power??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power??

Any body have a 4.2, auto that is stock that will spin the tires? Im having lots of problems with my truck, and want to compare the low end power (of the line) to others. My truck has cat back, k&n, superchip, and 3:55 geaars and will not spin the tires unless im in water? Is this normal, or should I take it back to the dealer to have it looked at?

------------------

Ed
  • '97 4.2l Auto Supercab
  • 265 75 16
  • catback system
  • Airtornado
  • K&N system
  • 3.55 gears
  • Superchip
  • 10 disk CD Changer
  • Soon to have 75 shot of NOS, 3" lift kit and 4.11 gears.

[This message has been edited by getsumbaby (edited 11-21-2000).]

Old 11-21-2000, 08:39 AM
Smile

My 4.2 will not spin the tires much on dry pavement either. I don't think you have a problem, as these engines don't reach their powerband until the upper RPM's anyway.

Old 11-21-2000, 09:36 AM
You shouldn't be able to spin your tires in a 4.2 unless your tires suck or if you're in water...but i hear the second you gear down to 4.10 or 4.30 you got it.

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Things to come: coil spacers, 4.10 gears, Grill
ilmagill@aol.com For Pictures :
www.geocities.com/ilmagill

Old 11-21-2000, 10:59 AM
I can smoke the tire without using the brakes on dry pavement and I only have 3.08's. Must be because I have a manual 5-speed. Its when Im turning of course.

------------------

Website www.angelfire.com/de2/6inafseries

98 XL 4.2L
5-speed
-Pendaliner bedliner
-SlimTop flushmount tonneau
-ASP underdrive pulley
-Gibson split duals
-Clarion CD player
-Belltech 2/2 drop.(Springs, shocks,and shackles) Not installed yet.

Future
-66mm throttle body
-Vortech Supercharger
-Autometer boost and tach guages.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Fseries (edited 11-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Fseries (edited 11-21-2000).]

Old 11-21-2000, 07:20 PM
Cool

i can spin mine from a stop all the way through first and into second. V6 the only mod done to the engine would be a K&N and i dont think that helped much. 5 speed though. Thats the way to go with a v6.

------------------
1999 XL, 2WD, standard cab, short bed, sport package, nascar package, bright red, V-6, 5 speed, Rockford Fosgate CD player, Pioneer 6x8. class 3 hitch, fog lights, Black Rhino Lining, K&N filter.
http://www.geocities.com/bassbuster/truck.html
I like to hang out at http://www.cooltrucks.net

Old 11-21-2000, 07:28 PM
country: where in Il are you from. Maybe we could meet up and make a f-150 club.
chuck

Old 11-21-2000, 07:55 PM
My truck will easily spin the tires through first, second, and chirp 3rd. Without the nitrous. I have smoked them by dumping the clutch from 3000 and then I just sat there for a while and then took off after I had to shift to second from a near stop. If I drive off the line and floor it real quick it will chirp the tires. I say some of you guys need a tune-up The only mods I had when I could do this were a K&N and exhaust.

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2000, 08:10 PM
In my original post i said AUTO. I know a 5 speed will spin the tires, but who has an auto that will do it? I have done alot to my truck and it is just terrible. I ordered the NOS kit that NOS recommended($475.00). Its the same kit for the mustang GT, 75 hp shot(fogger system,not dry). Any one know the difference it will make on an automatic? ill get the gears on my next check-4.11 I guess. Any suggestions??

------------------
Ed
  • '97 4.2l Auto Supercab
  • 265 75 16
  • catback system
  • Airtornado
  • K&N system
  • 3.55 gears
  • Superchip
  • 10 disk CD Changer

Old 11-21-2000, 10:12 PM
I have a question about your NOS kit. Why did they reccomend the WET kit? I am using a Mustang GT DRY kit jetted for 100hp without any problems. I was just wondering why you had to buy the fogger-especially with a dual runner intake which is prone to fuel pooling? Anyways, just a few q's, I hope you enjoy the silly juice, I sure have. With an auto it will be easier to use and you will notice it! I got about 78 HP to the rear wheels with a 100 shot. Probably could be better with higher bottle pressure.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:40 AM
When I first got my 99 F-150 4.2L 5-speed manual w/ 3.08 Gears, I could spin the tires in 1st,2nd and even got 3rd to spin a couple of times. If you have a manual you just have to know the timing and the feel of the engine. Now that I have 265/75R BFG AT's on my truck, it's a little harder, but I can still do it in first gear if i try. With my new tires and wheels, I've noticed a nice drop in power off the line. I was thinking about getting my gears changed out to 3.55 LS or something higher, but I am worried about poor gas mileage. Seeing as I drive 840 miles from my university back home once or twice a year. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what gear ratio I should use. I was also wondering how much it would cost to get the 3.55 LS installed in my truck. Unfortunately I don't have time to work on it myself at this time.

Thanks for the help.
~¤MarK¤~
Soon to come : Rancho 4" 2 Wheel Drive suspension lift. Who needs torsion bars when you've got those wonderful coil springs...

------------------
99 F-150 supercab w/ a big ole 4.2L
BFGoodrich 265/75R's
16" Eagle Alloys series 589
Billet Grille
Pioneer DEH-P9200
2 Amps,1600 Watts Total Power
4 10" Punch XLC's
Custom Door Poppers

Fightin Texas Aggie Class of '02 WHOOP!

Old 11-22-2000, 02:29 AM
The gear swap around 500 or so(I think).3.55 is a good in between gear.Power and desent gas milage.If ya just want power go for the 4.10 gears.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ----mods----
stereo,pioneer cd,cadance ultradrive amps,alpine 12 sub,eclipse mids&tweetsAppearance: profile bug guard,smoked headlight covers,Gts tailblazerII taillight covers painted to match truck,blue cargo lights,chrome exhaust tipFunctional:265/75 pirelli scorpion at,cranked torsion bars,black Delta tool box,valley towing class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats Performance: Jet reusable air filter,modified airbox(crash1style)Coming Soon supercharger, jba headers,throttle body spacer,ravin cat back,superchips
lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 11-22-2000, 08:37 AM
Smile

Cooltrucks, I am in Collinsville, IL. If your not familiar with Collinsville, I am about 15 minutes east of St. Louis. I would enjoy a club, but probably won't be able to devote much time to it as I have a baby on the way. Also as a result, I won't be able to make many mods to my truck. I would love to get an intake and exhaust for it.

Old 11-22-2000, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor
My truck is 3.08's V6 4.2 pretty much stock in performance.. I even have an 800lb truck cap. I can spin the tires from a dead stop on dry ground. They spin beter going around the corner. Don't forget that they 3.08 rarely comes with T-Lok... so only the right rear wheel will spin there for a left turn will really let them spin. If you have trouble making this happen (especialy with stock tires) I recommend taking it to the dealer and get it checked out. If you have lack of power it could be due to a bad plug wire or bad plug.

One of my friends had a similar problem when a plug wire burned out he went down to 7 cylinders for a week and couldn't figure out why his power band had disappeared .

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 11-22-2000, 09:39 AM
i have all my mods with 3.55ls gears snd 285/75/16 bfg at's should it still spin?

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Things to come: coil spacers, 4.10 gears, Grill
ilmagill@aol.com For Pictures :
www.geocities.com/ilmagill

Old 11-22-2000, 11:11 AM
Talking

Well. I can power break my truck and SMOKE the tires(265 75 16). But off the line, it will not go.

ILUVNOS: I dont know why they recommended that kit? But im going to call today and ask them. Is there any questions I should ask them at NOS? Ill let you know what they said? Also, should I go with the 100 shot instead of the 75? Is it safe to use the 100 often, or very sparingly? Any thing you can tell me about the go-go juice would be helpfull.

------------------
Ed
  • '97 4.2l Auto Supercab
  • 265 75 16
  • catback system
  • Airtornado
  • K&N system
  • 3.55 gears
  • Superchip
  • 10 disk CD Changer

Quick Reply: Power??