Having Auto Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Auto Transmission Issues

Just got the word from my coworker that my tranmission is slipping. He said it will drive in 2, but not in D. He said it's "about a quart and half low" on fluid.

Not sure what the problem is at this point, but I'd like to make some worst-case assumptions to get your opinion on what the price should be, roughly. The two assumptions would be either that the whole transmission is shot or that only torque converter is shot. And is it possible I would need both, or does a whole new transmission include the torque converter?

Also, any chance the additon of more fluid will solve the problem? One can dream... I haven't seen that this tranny has lotsa issues on this forum.

1999 V6, automatic, 4x4, reg. cab, reg. bed.

Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
So, the plot thickens. OD light blinks, CE light is on and blows the following codes.

p1747
p0750
p0755
p0743
p0141
p0161

It will drive in 1, 2 or D, but starts and stays only in 2nd gear. It will go in reverse, but shifts hard into reverse.

I tried to look those codes up in the list of codes, but they aren't there. Sounds like all the trappings of a blown tranny to me, however.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
P1747 Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid - Short circuit
P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction
P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

http://www.obd-codes.com/

With all those codes I'd start looking for a wiring problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Fuse 23 is blown, which apprently can lead to this type of behavior. I replaced it and it blew again. Any thoughts? Is it hard to replace the OD swicth? The cap's mising from it and it looks like it just mighta gotten knocked on and f'd up and is now shorting out.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Well I took the steering column shroud off and checked out the OD button wiring for any fraying. Nothing. I also looked around under the hood for any frayed wires. Nothing.

Based on what I've read, it sounds like I could have a cooked tranny, cooked solenoids, cooked PCM, or some frayed wire somewehere that is causing this fuse to blow and, thus, all the subsequent issues I am having. So, I think it's time to get it towed somewhere.

Based on all of the info I have provided, would anyone like to venture a guess as to what the most LIKELY problem is?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
glc
Check the main harness plug where it goes through the firewall.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by khazouri
Based on all of the info I have provided, would anyone like to venture a guess as to what the most LIKELY problem is?
Most likely a wire supplying power to the transmission has shorted to ground. I really doubt that you need a new trans or PCM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
But @ 1.5 quarts low, he does need more fluid.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
All,

Thanx to everyone for your help so far. I went ahead and took a peek under the truck and did discover something that definitely looks to be a problem. I am posting two pictures with arrows indicating what I am talking about.

The pictures tell the tale, but long story short, there is a harness, which originates from what I believe it the area of the starter realy, on the passenger side, that is resting on top of the exhhaust pipe, just as the pipe joins the manifold. This harness appears to be burned significantly, and appears to attach to the transmission, inasmuch as it disappears above the transimission, so far as I can tell. (I'm not very mechanically inclined, so you'll have to forgive me.)

So, the obvious questions as follow:

1. What is this harness for? What is it called? Could this be my problem?

2. If so, what would be the expected labor time/cost for replacment of this harness, including cost of the part? (I know harnesses can be expensive.)

True to form, and as with every other forum on the planet, I am unable to post the pictures that describe what I am talking about and to explain in writing would take all day. I guess PM me with your email address and I'll send the pictures? Or, tell me how to post them. I tried to do what FAQ says, but there is no "manage attachments" box anywhere that I can see and when I click on "insert image," it prompts me for a URL.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
glc
To insert an image from a URL, you have to upload your pics to a photo sharing site such as Photobucket. This forum does not support attachments.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 AM
I appreciate the reply, but it should probably say that in the help links. It tells you to not use quick reply, but says nothing about a third party service.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or just load them in your photo album and post them from your album. once loaded in your album, you view the pic and copy the whole box that has the IMG in it. then go back to the forum and paste it. easier to have 2 tabs or windows open so you dont have to keep going back and forth.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Perfect! I will do that next time and thanx for the tip. The truck's been running great ever since I had the harness repaired or replaced -- whatever they did. I haven't even looked to see!

Quick Reply: Having Auto Transmission Issues