Mileage dropping like a Bonanza full of doctors

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumba
I still say the temp is a big part of the problem. You probably do have the O2 problem. I'm not trying to say you don't. But it will not run efficiently at 180.

I never did like the Bonanza because of the low decent speed. Those intakes freeze up faster than you can notice it happening. I've always heard of the Vtail version of the Bonanza and its problems. But have never been in one.
I have flown a vtail before, and I've been trying to remember the type ever since you mentioned it. It was an aluminum production plane built from surplus WWII parts. It was a two side by side seater with a bubble canopy, and a flat four. There were a bunch of them built, and they were famous for their stall problem because the ailerons, elevator and rudder were all tied together. Do you know the airplane I'm talking about?
The only two airplanes that I know of that had the ailerons and rudders tied together were the Piper Tri-Pacer and the Ercoupe, with the latter fitting your description.

I topped it off and took it on a 50-mile roadtrip down the highway @ 70 mph and with the new Bosch sensors I'm getting a calculated 18 mpg.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
The only two airplanes that I know of that had the ailerons and rudders tied together were the Piper Tri-Pacer and the Ercoupe, with the latter fitting your description.

I topped it off and took it on a 50-mile roadtrip down the highway @ 70 mph and with the new Bosch sensors I'm getting a calculated 18 mpg.
Yes, it was the Ercoupe, dang that was before you were born when I last saw that Airplane. But not being an experienced pilot at the time, I really didn't notice to much of a difference. I haven't flown anything now for at least 15 years. But I did enjoy it back in the day.

A friend of mine was doing a practice jump for the July 4th celebration in my town last weekend. His chute didn't open properly, and then wouldn't release, and his drag got caught in his back up, and he hit some trees pretty hard. It's kind of odd, the last time we spoke, he told me he wasn't jumping anymore. But he was lso teasing me about joining him for one last time. I just told him I was to old for that stuff anymore. Then I got this news Tuesday.
He is recovering from hip surgery now he is laid up wishing he had retired with me. I'm gimped up, but I am still walking.

I'm glad you got your problem sorted out. Knock on wood, I've never had to replace an O2. I've got well over 200k on my personal truck. But I only use Shell gas. I do believe it makes a big difference.
I still think you need to replace the thermostat. But my advice and a few dollars will get you a cup of coffee

Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 PM

My dad used to own an Ercoupe. He said on nice days you could open the canopy like a drop-top convertible and enjoy the (noisy) breeze

Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey GLC did you get that link from one of my posts? Or did I get it from you?
I've been trying to remember where I got it so I could give credit when I use it.

Either way it's a pretty cool link!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Neither - I found it with Google.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:33 AM

BUMP.

Mileage has either dropped back down or I did my calculation wrong. Driving like a grandma, keeping my shifts under 2K and hyper-miling like a ****, I'm getting at best 13 mpg, with 9 mpg "normal" driving.

I'm going to be swapping the t-stat tomorrow but I have a feeling as if this is a computer problem as my SG2 shows my fuel flow at 4-5 gph when at normal cruise (which should be 2 gph). Could my MAF have died?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 AM

T-stat swapped back for a 195*. Reset ECM to stock. CEL is good except I did pull a P0232 and P0174 this afternoon while at work. Of course I'm stuck with this crappy Florida E10, I'm at 160 miles at half a tank, 100% city driving, being somewhat careful.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumba
I know a Doctor that crashed a Bonanza...
That V-tail didn't just take out doctors...
Buddy Holley
Jim Reeves (great voice)
Ozzie Osborn's drummer, Randy Rhoads

Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound nuts, but I wonder if maybe the rear brakes or the parking brake might be dragging. I suggest this because my boss' Subaru was starting to get bad MPG, turned out his rear brakes were dragging a bit. Had them fixed and MPG went back to normal.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 AM

97XL- nothing is dragging. For instance, at X throttle pressure (before mileage went nuts) I would do 65 mph @ 20 mpg, with the injectors flowing at 3.00 GPH. Now, with same throttle pressure X, I still do 65 mph, but I'm getting a displayed 11-13 mpg, and the injectors are flowing anywhere from 6-8 GPH. If something were dragging, I would have to increase throttle to maintain the same speed. All I can conjur up is something with the engine's brain is telling it to flow the hell outta those injectors. My theory is also evident that the exhaust smells NASTY. You can tell how rich it is, just standing by the exhaust pipe (you dont even have to bend over) you can smell unburt fuel.

I'm so fed up with this. I just topped off again (after I topped off three days ago) and I'm getting 10.34 mpg city. I'm bout to pull the whole top end apart and see if the injectors are culprit. I absolutely have no idea what else it could be. The MAF, IAT, IAC and air filter have all been cleaned 3-4 times in the past month with ECU reset via unplugging the battery. Nothing. Setting my XCal3 to stock and back to 87 street, nothing changes. Tire pressure good, brakes are A-Ok, pads wearing normally, no excessive brake dust. Oil level good, and thinking it was the thermostat, I pulled my 180* and put the 195* back in. Nothing doing.

My most recent CELs show bank 2 system lean and some clutch circuit high or something.

EDIT: I just thought of something, the EGR. Is there a way I can test this or check it or something? I did replace a vacuum line to it a few months back. Culprit maybe?

Last edited by Raptor05121; 08-31-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Have you replaced the front O2's yet?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
How many miles on the truck? Im thinking Cats

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Yes front O2s have been replaced. 210K on the truck. I took a mallet to the cats and they sound solid. No loose metal

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow 10mpg with a 6 banger .

Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered taking it to a dealer or shop? I am not sure, but maybe someone certified to work on the vehicle can figure out what is wrong.

Quick Reply: Mileage dropping like a Bonanza full of doctors