Raptor's Port and Polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
doing this to a stock engine probably wont be worth it.
I coulda told you that before you started.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
well.....im done. i even put some buffing compound and polishing compound when i finished and on my CAI tube.

Pros and Cons.....

Pros: On the initial test drive my "seat of the pants" dyno yielded considerable gains. 1st gear gets more low-end power, 2nd and 3rd's top-end are in love with me now.

Cons: Idle dropped from 850 to 750....ehhhh.....and my SG2 shows a TPS reading of 22 (should be 20). I took the buffer over the butterfly, so i may have knocked something out of alignment. Its not DIRE but not something I want permanent either. but the gains are noticeable. I'm no HP expert (as many of you know) but I'd have to say AT THE MOST is maybe 5 hp.

For the reasons associated with the risk in maybe screwing something up, I opted out of doing a write-up. I'm sure if anyone wants to do this later on, its pretty simple, but its just "iffy" right now until I can bump up my idle...

Note: the risk in doing this IMO is not great enough unless you are going "all out" I should say such as CAI, efans, UDP, exhaust and maybe turbo. doing this to a stock engine probably wont be worth it.
Get a programmer and and you can fix your idle issue!

You want to do me one in trade for some shackles maybe??

Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I coulda told you that before you started.
dosent matter, mines not stock, i still would have done it. i was referring to people who dont have a darn thing on their engine. i have a CAI, efans, and soon to have UDP and a tuner, so it does its part to help

Derek, if I can find one, i'll do it for ya in swap for some shackles! i was just thinking how I spent $20 on sanding wheels only to use them once. maybe it looks like i'll be able to use them again! do you have a spare or access to a spare? at the moment my local JY has nothing but tritons. and you say a tuner will fix the idle issue? cause if i did it exactly like i did mine i think you might have an idle issue. but i think i know what is wrong with mine, so im going to go outside and see if i cant fix it. but if you come across a 4.2L TB let me know and i can do it.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros: On the initial test drive my "seat of the pants" dyno yielded considerable gains. 1st gear gets more low-end power, 2nd and 3rd's top-end are in love with me now.
You have to be kidding us. You seriously think you used a dremel and did alittle work to your throttlebody and now you feel the difference. Anyone that belives this must be smoking the same thing as you. Stop spread all this misformation here.

The truth about all your mods work is....you put EFans on and your truck overheats. Now you P&P your throttlebody and you have an idle issue.....

Technical Article 101:

-How to overheat your truck for 100 bucks.
-How to screw your idle up for free.

Last edited by ScottFF00; 06-25-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't beat him up man...play nice

Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Alright. Sorry

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No pictures at all? You could have at least taken before and after pictures.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 PM

woot! my hunch payed off. i was sitting on the john thinking about my idle problem and immediately ran outside (after wiping and flushing of course) and i realized....my butterfly was backwards.

in the idle position, the butterfly sits at what looks like not a perfect vertical angle, but like a 91 or 92* degree incline, which diminishes to 0* as you open the throttle. well, since its sits at this angle, the rim of the butterfly was cut at an angle to sit flush with the face of the wall of the TB. Well while i was porting it, i took out the butterfly and ran my 180-grit over it very lightly (took that dull brown color and now looks like polished gold) and when i reinstalled it, i had it bass ackwards so it was completely wrong...thereby allowing more air in, throwing off the IAC. so i flipped it around, reset the computer and upon crankup...sure thing. she climbs to 650...700....750...790.... then i take it down the driveway and back and in neutral she sits at a modest 850 RPM. yay!

Scott, its okay if you don't believe me. i didnt do this to impress you. fact of the matter is i felt a difference and my other F-150 buddy drove my truck around and immediately wants me to do his now. I'm not saying im going to go out racing lightnings now. but if you want to chip some money my way, i'll gladly find another stock TB and drive to jacksonville and do a dyno for ya

and i dont have an "overheating" problem. with the 102* weather we've been having my truck is sitting at 205 degrees, but that is not a problem.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 06-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 PM
'Seat of the pants' aka 'butt dyno' readings are notoriously inaccurate.

Any change in power delivery or sound is perceived as 'more power' by the guy who spent the money and/or did the labor. Real changes should be verified using controlled experiments. Corrected dyno, 0-60 times, unbiased tester, etc...

As for a minor (5 hp?) gain, your actual peak power can vary that much or more with the change in the weather between breakfast and lunch. It is very difficult to measure changes that small with an instrument as unreliable as the butt dyno.

IMO, reducing air velocity through the intake by hogging it out is rarely a good idea, unless you are correcting a known deficiency.

Polishing a surface to increase airflow has been pretty thoroughly debunked over the years, specifically for intake ports. Pretty sure the same physics apply in the intake tract.

But hey, it's fun to work on your truck and learn on your own, so props for that!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by rednoved
No pictures at all? You could have at least taken before and after pictures.
well, i intended to do a full-scale write-up but my parents borrowed my camera for the week (went on a vacation on the Harley) so all i had was my camera phone. i didnt get any before shots, but i did get a few durings and after. i cannot seem to setup my alltel upload album so unfortunately, no pics for now

Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
'Seat of the pants' aka 'butt dyno' readings are notoriously inaccurate.

Any change in power delivery or sound is perceived as 'more power' by the guy who spent the money and/or did the labor. Real changes should be verified using controlled experiments. Corrected dyno, 0-60 times, unbiased tester, etc...

As for a minor (5 hp?) gain, your actual peak power can vary that much or more with the change in the weather between breakfast and lunch. It is very difficult to measure changes that small with an instrument as unreliable as the butt dyno.

IMO, reducing air velocity through the intake by hogging it out is rarely a good idea, unless you are correcting a known deficiency.

Polishing a surface to increase airflow has been pretty thoroughly debunked over the years, specifically for intake ports. Pretty sure the same physics apply in the intake tract.

But hey, it's fun to work on your truck and learn on your own, so props for that!
i wouldnt say reducing the air velocity. if you could see the difference in diameter of my CAI tube to the rubber o-ring to the TB, this helped reduce some of the turbulence that the various-sized openings caused. and while i agree with that and would love to dyno it, all i can say is that it didnt hurt the performance either, so either way, im proud of it. plus im moving to tally soon, so i might find a shop and do a few pulls and let you guys know

Last edited by Raptor05121; 06-25-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Don't beat him up man...play nice
I concur. If you search the old threads, you'll see that Alex has taken all sorts of abuse from everyone here; for just about anything you can imagine, and some things you can't imagine. It's time we leave the kid alone. We've already had enough laughs at his expense. Just search the old threads.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Derek, if I can find one, i'll do it for ya in swap for some shackles! i was just thinking how I spent $20 on sanding wheels only to use them once. maybe it looks like i'll be able to use them again! do you have a spare or access to a spare? at the moment my local JY has nothing but tritons. and you say a tuner will fix the idle issue? cause if i did it exactly like i did mine i think you might have an idle issue. but i think i know what is wrong with mine, so im going to go outside and see if i cant fix it. but if you come across a 4.2L TB let me know and i can do it.
I will be in touch!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I concur. If you search the old threads, you'll see that Alex has taken all sorts of abuse from everyone here; for just about anything you can imagine, and some things you can't imagine. It's time we leave the kid alone. We've already had enough laughs at his expense. Just search the old threads.
So you want us to not laugh at his expense, but we should search the old threads where we will laugh at his expense?

This is the internet. It's better when it's entertaining.

And if someone posts inacurrate information or uninformed opinions in an open forum, they should be called out on it, IMO. That's how people learn.

BTW, if a post is truly abusive, report it to a moderator.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
It's not meant to be a tattle type thing, but honestly, it really isn't just the internet. Respect others just like the way you would in person. I see this too much and it kind of bothers me. I got the same thing when I messed up painting my chassis a week or two ago. It's needless gripes that are intended to provoke a response. I understand that there is usually no harm, but there are jokes and then there are comments that are used to create a sense of shame or such on the OP or the directed of the comment. Sometimes I see these comments and it reminds me of the playground in elementary school. I know where you are coming from DDD, but it still doesn't make rude comments right.

John

Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
That is the theory, but I've seen parties with advanced knowledge report that a shiny surface does little if anything to promote air flow.

Basically, there is a 'boundry layer' - a thin area of turbulent air near the surface, and it matters not whether the surface is polished smooth or not.

Bottom line is it may not be worth the trouble to polish.

That's why golf ***** have dimples! Now that would be interesting to see, a TB with dimples like a golf ball on the inside.

Quick Reply: Raptor's Port and Polish