How can I get more out of my 4.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
wrench/screwdriver
Wrench?? I took off my factory with just a screwdriver......

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
You think a PSD will beat a corvette? What year corvette?......................... And what's the crap about your momma's truck beating "any v8 car, unless its an import"? .
Well I don't think you have ever seen a PSD launch in 4x4 at about 30psi have you???? They will pull a 1.6-1.8 60', that is simply amazing, even better get some one to take you a ride in one. Here's a comparsion, a new GT500 with about 500rwhp and on slicks is lucky to get a 1.8 60'. A Vette is doing good to pull a 1.9 and thats on a very well prepped track. Now the Vette WILL catch the truck by the end of the 1/8 mile prolly, but since most street races only go to about 55-60,(unless its a highway thing) the PSD or any diesel will most likely embarass whatever it goes up against.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
My K&N 77-series was sent to me in a little over a week for $211.16. Took my dad and me a little more than 30 mins to do it from opening the hood to closing it. The hardest part was disassembling the MAF because one of the screws were jammed stuck.

Did you have to move anything around to get this to fit???

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by TXhustla
Did you have to move anything around to get this to fit???
No CAI's are just a remove stock and assemble CAI. Nothing needs to be moved.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
4.2 guy. How old are you, about 15? You need to stop spouting useless crap information and go study for your SATs or something.

You think a PSD will beat a corvette? What year corvette?

You are a sad, silly, stupid little boy. Trucks were never meant to be "go fast" vehicles. They are meant to haul stuff.

You put enough money into anything, it'll do whatever you want it to. My advice was simply that bolting on 1000$ worth of crap to a 4.2L in a truck, is essentially pointless other than for pleasure.

And what's the crap about your momma's truck beating "any v8 car, unless its an import"? Do you know anything about anything? Just do us all a favor and go away.

dirty88 - in the DFW area, you'll be lucky to find a shop to do your rear end for less than 800$. If/when you do, let me know where.
umm... ok... i wasnt trying to **** anyone off... no im not 15 im 17... i know more about diesel's then you ever will (not tlkin to everyone on this site when i say that casue u are all older then me and you have more xperience so im sure y no more about them)... maybe not all there is to know about them... but i know alot about them... so go ahead and **** all over moms psd... she dnt care and i dnt care... im sure you would agree with me if you rode in it... and if not i guess i dnt really care... but dnt diss something that you havent rode in... have you heard me dissing anything that i havent rode in. sept for maybe the beating any v8 car... lol that was prly stretching it... anyways... who cares... i know im right about it... and not one of you will belive me untill u ride in it...

y would u ask me if i know anything about anything... if you think im dumb go ahead... might seem dumb on this sight casue i dnt no much about gas at all... i really dnt care what you think of me and if you dnt like me y do u come to my threads...

u might think im braging about mom psd... in a way i am... but in a way i aint... i just got so frustrated when everyone was saying there 4.2L pulls stuff just fine... i had to say somethin about diesel's... but anyways... im sry to whoever i pissed off... wasnt trying to... but i hope there is no more bi''hing becasue i dnt like getting in fight over the internet.

im dumb when it comes to gas motors... so help me out.

if you dnt have anything nice to say dnt say it...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I think the only thing that will beat his moms PSD will be my bowling ball flying down the highway.
umm. ok how old are you? thats something i would say dnt u think?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Well I don't think you have ever seen a PSD launch in 4x4 at about 30psi have you???? They will pull a 1.6-1.8 60', that is simply amazing, even better get some one to take you a ride in one. Here's a comparsion, a new GT500 with about 500rwhp and on slicks is lucky to get a 1.8 60'. A Vette is doing good to pull a 1.9 and thats on a very well prepped track. Now the Vette WILL catch the truck by the end of the 1/8 mile prolly, but since most street races only go to about 55-60,(unless its a highway thing) the PSD or any diesel will most likely embarass whatever it goes up against.
thank you josh... finnaly some help... the psd is just one of the three diesel pickups that will embarace a ricer if the ricer is stock and the pickup has somthing done to it.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Ok... so the PSD will have a great 60' time. Cool. I've seen/ridden/driven some pretty nice diesel trucks. But I've also seen/ridden/driven some pretty nasty cars. PSD truck in a 1/4 mile is not going to have the ability to out run a car that weighs at least half as much and has nearly, if not more power. I don't care how hard it launches, it's still a beast to move.

Your maw's truck may be cool - I'm happy for you. My mom drives a Mazda3, cool.

Your last comment, stock ricer vs. a modded diesel - that's just silly. Ever seen a "fast" ricer? There's a reason nobody who's worth anything pays them any attention. Ever notice what kind of motors they put into the "ricers" at real races? Sure, there are some pretty bad tuned imports with boost, but the majority of them are holding high displacement with boost. (i.e. domestic V8s.)

The whole point is, there's nothing you can do to a 4.2L truck short of boost that's going to make it worth spending the money on. In my field, and many others, return on investment is a big factor. Of course, I've spent plenty on my truck, and have more to spend to get it how I want it. So therein lies the problem.

Off my box now. Have a good one.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
The whole point is, there's nothing you can do to a 4.2L truck short of boost that's going to make it worth spending the money on.
Some people enjoy their truck. Everything I have done to my truck was well worth it.

[B]In my field, and many others, return on investment is a big factor. Of course, I've spent plenty on my truck, and have more to spend to get it how I want it. So therein lies the problem.
Whats your Idea of return?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by 04heritage
Some people enjoy their truck. Everything I have done to my truck was well worth it.

Whats your Idea of return?
I agree, everything I've done was worth it. I enjoyed spending the time, not so much the money, doing the mods, and enjoying the ride better. But you gotta pay to play.

ROI breakdown:

Money spent on "fuel mileage/HP" increasing mods - roughly 500$.
Decrease in fuel consumption - roughly .5-1mpg.

I drive 250 miles per week. At 16mpg (very conservative,) compared to an old 15mpg, with a 26 gallon tank, I get an extra 26 miles out of a tank. I fill up every week.

How long would it take me to recoup my costs? I use 1.0417 LESS gallons per week, (avg 250 miles.) At $3.26/gal (current price in my area,) that's 3.3958$ saved each week. It will take me 147 weeks to recoup my initial investment.

Sound like a smart investment? Not from an investors point of view. But I'm just a stupid college kid, and 500$ isn't much money.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you bought the wrong stuff.

I paid $745 for my parts and went from 14 mpg to 19 mpg.

$165 shipped for my MAC CAI
$175 for E fans
$405 for the Xcal 2

But like TJ said I couldnt leave it at that.

2/4 drop (hope to drop the rear another inch or two)
gibson headers (175 shipped kick azz deal)
$500 on 2 different exhaust set ups.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM

$175 for E fans
$405 for the Xcal 2

I paid 150 shipped for my CAI, and had two different exhaust setups. No tuner yet, but it's on the list. Hoping I may gain some from that.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$175 for E fans
$405 for the Xcal 2

are e-fans worth the price on a V6? ive asked my dad about them(who is very car savy) and he says unless i am going to be doing alot of towing and hauling stuff around, that it isnt worth the time and money to install e-fans on my 4.2. do they really help that much? besides keeping the engine cooler?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
They just remove the weight of the fan from the motor, which is something like 8 lbs. They made my truck much quieter and it got better mileage.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
No CAI's are just a remove stock and assemble CAI. Nothing needs to be moved.
Did you notice any differences with this K&N filter?

Quick Reply: How can I get more out of my 4.2L?