A V6 Airaid? Bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About air intakes

I have been seeing some intakes on ebay, similar to what the AIRAID intake looks like. It has an 3" aluminum intake tube, 2 couplers, but I was curious of how I am going to hook up the MAF. Does Anyone know if the filter adapter for the V8 will work on our 4.2l? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...QQcmdZViewItem

Heres what I am looking at...

Old 12-18-2005, 10:54 AM
That looks just like my MAF. Just take it out of the filter box using a 10mm wrench (2 screws). To get the connector off, use a small flatblade screwdriver and press down on the tab in the middle of the connector. Be careful with the MAF, they are 150 bucks if you mess one up. I have a MAC air intake. You can get them on this website in the "online store" section. I think the one for the 4.2L is $158. They're good intakes for the price.

Here it is:
http://digitalmarket.f150online.com/...cat=161&page=1

Last edited by Peacemaker; 12-18-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
That looks just like my MAF. Just take it out of the filter box using a 10mm wrench (2 screws). To get the connector off, use a small flatblade screwdriver and press down on the tab in the middle of the connector. Be careful with the MAF, they are 150 bucks if you mess one up. I have a MAC air intake. You can get them on this website in the "online store" section. I think the one for the 4.2L is $158. They're good intakes for the price.

Here it is:
http://digitalmarket.f150online.com/...cat=161&page=1
i had a mac on my 03- it rusted on the inside of the tube and was getting sucked into my engine

Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Surely that wont be a problem with an aluminum intake pipe, correct. Thats has to suck. I found this intake(above pic) on ebay for $40buyitnow + $8 shipping. I think I'll get it for Xmas :-)

If my MPG drop or I get a CEL then I wont be too angry for $48

Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf
I feel bad for you guys. In NE, the summer easily reaches 100*F if not more for a week or so at a time. If not around 100*, no cooler than 90* with killer humidity. This winter, it has ALREADY reached -15*F plus windchill and I have NEVER experienced any "pinging".

What does it sound like anyways? Like ping, ping, ping, etc.?

I just have to disagree with peacemaker about the sensitivity of these engines. By the way, I am running 87 octane 'till my Troyer Tuned #6600 gets here! 91 octane forever afterwards.

It sounds like someone is taking a belt sander after a metal pipe - lasts a few seconds at a time.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I thought about the rust problem with the inside of the MAC pipe. I'm going to put my stocker back on pretty soon for sure before it becomes a problem. I'd like to try an AirRaid intake since they're plastic. Can't wait to get that Microtuner, and a new exhaust when I get my truck paid off this coming Summer.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, actually the tube of the Airaid is not plastic......remember this is the one I've got on my truck. Maybe some of them were, and maybe this is just really heavy duty plastic that sounds like metal when you hit it with a wrench.

If you can find an old Airaid that is plastic (as I have heard that the EARLIER Airaids were plastic) then that would probably be your best bet.

For one, I can't imagine that my pipe is rusting THIS fast after putting it on, causing the codes.

Then again, this IS Texas and the weather can swing 60 degrees in one day, with the humidity sometimes ranging 60-70 percentage points, so who the eff knows for sure. Guess the only way to find out is to take it off and look at it - damn that would be a pain in the butt.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Af1 Af1 Af1 !!!!!! Check This Comment Out!!!!

YES IT IS TRUE THAT AF1 IS THE BEST FOR FORDS!!!! THEY ACTUALLY TOOK THE TIME TO MEET SPECS AND ANYALIZED THE WAY FORDS PERFORME. IN THE NEW FORDS, THEY ARE SO SENSITIVE THAT THE ONLY SAFE INTAKE TO USE IS THE AF1. THEY ALSO TELL YOU HOW TO RESET UR SETTINGS FOR AFTER INSTALLING THE INTAKE!!! I DID IT, AND SO MUCH AIR CAME IN THAT MY CATALATYC CONVERTERS GOT STOPED UP, AND YES!!! I TOOK THEM BAD BOYS OUT!!! I HAVE A SH** LOAD OF UPGRADES, BUT ONE OF MY FIRST THINGS WAS AN INTAKE. UR MONEY IS WELL SPENT!!!

Originally Posted by Lominopee
i just purchased an AF1 intake for my truck and it should be coming in soon. AF1 is supposed to give the most sound, most power, and it looks the best of all intakes, cept its about $240; a small price to pay for the best on the market...

Last edited by STOMPTHECHEVY; 12-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 PM
off the topic but where did you get a pre runner syle bar for your truck stompthechevy

Old 01-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Whapt
off the topic but where did you get a pre runner syle bar for your truck stompthechevy

WHAT IS THAT UR LOOKING AT?

Old 01-07-2006, 02:33 AM
I clicked on the little picture thing in the upeer right hand corner of your post

Quick Reply: A V6 Airaid? Bad decision?