A V6 Airaid? Bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That new exhaust will help your mpg I'm sure. Post up some pics when you get it.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, I wantd to report that the MPG started to go back up - bout time - only took about 600 miles. I'm getting 16.5 city, 19 highway. That's still a far cry from the 18/22 that I was getting before, but at least it's coming up!

Guess the lesson learned in these V6 trucks is to hang on for a lil while after you install it and reset the computer and don't give up. I'm gonna shop her for sure, but we just bought a new house (so money is spread a little thin right now). Will definitely post pics when it's done.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Cool. Good luck with the house and everything.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Well, here's the final update I plan on making to this already very long thread. After resetting the computer AGAIN and driving the ACTUAL speed limit on the highway through 5 tanks of gas (approx 1,700 miles - took a couple of long trips these last weeks), my mileage is back up at "pre-Airaid" levels (17 city/21 highway). HOWEVER, if I punch it, I still get the Airaid sound and performance. So, lesson learned - if your mileage doesn't fully come back after one computer reset, try try again!

Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I've been getting pinging from hell when the weather turned colder the past few weeks. So I took my MAC intake off, and put the oem intake back on and put some 89 octane in the gas tank. Seems to have helped alot. I've always had to use 89 octane in the winter anyway, because of pinging. The MAC just made it worse. Funny thing is, it doesn't ping at all in warmer Summer temps with the MAC intake installed while using 87 octane. These engines are just plain sensative to temperature changes.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok, I took the Mac intake off my truck a few weeks ago and put it up in the garage. So today, I went out there and got it to clean it up and store it. To my surprise, the metal tube showed no signs of rusting inside or out after I ran it for about 3500 miles.

The filter was still pretty clean too. I just sprayed the rubber connectors with some WetShine, and wiped them off with a rag. I can definatley notice it's not under the hood anymore while driving. Especially in third gear where it pulled the hardest.

I figured it'd be best to take it off in the Winter anyway, since it's so wet and humid outside. That couldn't be any good for a steel chrome-plated tube. I can have it back on in 30-45 minutes, so it's no big deal. Just a precautionary measure.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Pinging

I have not heard any pinging in 98,000 miles of 87 octane - in minus 25 to 95 degree weather.
CAI would do that?
I cut my air box open to "breathe" better, still no pinging. I thought the computer was there to prevent that.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't know man. Maybe mine is tuned on the lean side. It's done it since the day I brought it home from the dealer. A SuperChip's tuner should take care of that though. Hopefully this is the last Winter I have to run stock. My truck is paid off in May, so I'll have a little money to play with. BWHAHAHAHA!

Old 12-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, after a little vacation from the boards I am here to report that my truck is pinging all over the place, especially in the "cold" weather. Has thrown two codes (both of which were reset without paying Ford $100).

See, here in Texas, anything below 32 is not only cold, but FRICKIN cold. Lately it has been FRICKIN COLD, and my truck has NOT liked it with the Airaid on. I guess just because my truck is from Virginia doesn't mean that it likes the cold, huh?

Not to mention, I am back down to getting 14mpg city, 16mpg highway.

For that kind of fuel econ, I could have a 5.4V8.

So, I've decided to ditch the Airaid. It just seemingly isn't "compatible" with my truck. Eff it. Plus, I'd hate to see what my gas mileage is going to be if I kept that thing on next week when I get my 20's put on.

I loved the low pitched throaty grumble at WOT though! If we had a dual income household things might be different and maybe I wouldn't care quite so much!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I hear ya spoon. Mine never got bad fuel milage, it's just the damn pinging I always get in the winter that sucks. My truck runs like a singer sewing machine during the warmer spring and summer months. I think it's my MAF wires. See, I could always clean the wires from the opening side of the sensor. The two torx bolts that hold the MAF down to the plastic tube have small circles right smack dab in the middle of where the torx driver inserts into the bolt. But I cannot for the life of me find a torx driver that will fit. I have regular torx drivers, but the one I need has a hole indented in the tip of the driver itself. Do they even make such a tool? Or is it built that way so I can't take it off?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Try Grainger.com. It is a "security" torx, so not just anyone can fiddle with it. Have seen them on your everyday clothes irons.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
I hear ya spoon. Mine never got bad fuel milage, it's just the damn pinging I always get in the winter that sucks. My truck runs like a singer sewing machine during the warmer spring and summer months. I think it's my MAF wires. See, I could always clean the wires from the opening side of the sensor. The two torx bolts that hold the MAF down to the plastic tube have small circles right smack dab in the middle of where the torx driver inserts into the bolt. But I cannot for the life of me find a torx driver that will fit. I have regular torx drivers, but the one I need has a hole indented in the tip of the driver itself. Do they even make such a tool? Or is it built that way so I can't take it off?
I got a set at O'reilly's in a GM kit for about 15-20 bucks. They also have a dedicated 7 piece set of tamper resistant torx for 20 bucks.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Cool. Thank guys. I'll be taking a trip to O'Reilly's tommorrow to get the Rancho's. So I'll look for them when I go.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 PM
See, I have some exposed wires myself around the area of my fluids. Is there any way I can clean and WRAP those wires with electrical tape to protect them from the elements? Could these wires be throwing my codes? I don't mind the pinging, but having to reset my computer ever 3-5,000 miles is a pain in the *******.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
I've been getting pinging from hell when the weather turned colder the past few weeks. So I took my MAC intake off, and put the oem intake back on and put some 89 octane in the gas tank. Seems to have helped alot. I've always had to use 89 octane in the winter anyway, because of pinging. The MAC just made it worse. Funny thing is, it doesn't ping at all in warmer Summer temps with the MAC intake installed while using 87 octane. These engines are just plain sensative to temperature changes.
I feel bad for you guys. In NE, the summer easily reaches 100*F if not more for a week or so at a time. If not around 100*, no cooler than 90* with killer humidity. This winter, it has ALREADY reached -15*F plus windchill and I have NEVER experienced any "pinging".

What does it sound like anyways? Like ping, ping, ping, etc.?

I just have to disagree with peacemaker about the sensitivity of these engines. By the way, I am running 87 octane 'till my Troyer Tuned #6600 gets here! 91 octane forever afterwards.

Quick Reply: A V6 Airaid? Bad decision?