4.2L kind of jumping???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L kind of jumping???

Last week, I filled up my 2002 4.2 with gas. Not too much, about 4 gallons worth and ever since then, the truck has been running REAL funny. At low RPMs (like taking off from a start) or going slow in a higher gear, the truck seems to jump or hesistate..the chuga chuga chuga feeling. Then, the check engine light came on a day or two after the first symptoms. What I'm wondering, is if there was some Diesel in the gas or water?

The codes were 402 and 401...EGR flow excessive and EGR flow insufficient. I can't seem to think of anything that would do this. I put some gas cleaner in it and filled up another 10 gallons or so to see if that helped but it only made it slightly less noticeable.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Jason

Old 05-20-2004, 10:40 PM
And yes, I have searched the site looking for other information on EGRs and similar other possible solutions, but none of them have the symptoms I am experiencing.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Well, I figure since your getting EGR codes, then your EGR system is problaby stopped up or something. Heck, I don't really know what to tell you except maybe take it to a qualified mechanic or have your dealership check the problem out. Sorry if I'm not much help.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:00 AM
Thanks Peacemaker. I would if it was still out in warranty but, well, mine ran out about 2000 miles ago and well, I guess I am stuck either figuring it out myself (myself meaning me and the entire F150 board ) or taking it to the dealership like you said.

Hell, if the problem persists over the weekend, I might do just that...

Jason

Old 05-21-2004, 03:02 AM
take it to the dealer and see if you are part of the dpfe replacement warranty it last for 24k after your 36k warranty so you can get a new dpfe sensor for free up to 50 k miles if your truck applies.

the dpfe sensor detects operation of the egr valve and it ussually fails even when the egr system is working propperly.

so your truck's pcm is thinking egr closed when its open and it makes it run rough.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 AM
hmmm you got 0402 and 0401 your egr valve could have stuck open then another time stuck closed i've never seen one pop both codes for high and low flow.

have them run an oasis and see if your truck applies first then they will replace dpfe as long as you have code P0401 or P0402 stored in the pcm. so dont clear that code untill it is fixed.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, I forgot all about this. I got a letter in the mail a good while ago from Ford saying that I had an extended warranty on my "entire" EGR system if I had under 60,000 miles and my EGR system messed up, they said they would fix it for free. This is a "recall", and i believe your truck is covered too. I have a 2001, so your 02 might be covered also. I say go to ford and check it out. It's worth a try. Just ask them if there are any recalls on your 2002 4.2L V6 EGR system. I know for a fact my 01 had a recall, i just never took it in because I had no problems yet. Knock on wood.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks Peacemaker and Mr Bentwrench. I will definitely be giving my dealership a call today to find out about that recall situation. I still have the codes on there and will keep them on.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Anytime.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Well, I called the dealership then went online and found out that my truck doesn't seem to be on any recall list for anything. So I guess I'm back to checking out the DPFE sensor. I've checked all the vacuum lines and everything is alright.

Hmmm, I guess I'll just check out the DPFE deal this weekend and see how it goes.

Jason

Old 05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Houston,
I am experiencing the same symptoms with my 98 4.2. Only difference is that me check engine light hasn't come on yet. I too have checked all the vacuum lines with dpfe, egr and egr solenoid and , oh yes, my old truck has a pcv valve! Checked it too.

For what it is worth, I had a 1984 F150 with Cleveland 351 inch V8. At about 50000 miles the egr valve went bad. My symptom was chugging at any speed. Replaced the valve and the truck ran fine.

I will be curious to see what your cure is. Since I suspect the EGR valve, I will most likely replace it first. TheDPFE and EGR cost about the same... don't believe I will use ford parts...Will see my friendly NAPA man!
Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2004, 07:34 PM
hey houston go to tomball ford they are the best! talk to Doug hes the most helpful though he doesnt act like it at first, but hes helped me with the problems ive had goodluck!

-Thomas j

Old 06-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Well crap. I checked out the EGR Vacuum regulator and the DPFE and they are both functioning correctly. The EVR has the proper resistance and the DPFE has the correct voltage running to it. Well, I guess the DPFE could still be the problem. The voltage is correct but that is on the harness side.

One thing though, I think I got the DPFE right. On my old 97 F150, it was a big aluminum block thing right in front of the engine. On the 2002, it looks like its in the same place (and it has two lines going into the exhaust line) but its a piece of plastic about 1" square and about 1/2" thick. Is this correct?

Like iron just said, I guess the last thing to do is to replace the actual EGR valve. Just need to go and get a big crescent wrench...can't find mine right now.

Jason

Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Well crap. The update on this is that I replaced the EGR valve and nothing happened. Check engine light came back on after about 50 miles and the chugging was there from the beginning.

Its still doing the same thing. Say when I'm slowing down in traffic, I have it in third gear. If I slow enough and then traffic picks back up, as soon as I give it gas (in third or whichever gear) it gives a REAL hard CHUG.

The same thing happens when the RPMs are a little low, and I just take my foot off the gas. It does the CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUG until the RPMs get up high enough and its fine.

Still REALLY confused...

Old 08-15-2004, 01:10 AM
did you replace the dpfe? the little black plastic one is a newer design now there is an even newer design that is bigger but you would have to get it at ford. the aftermarket would be releasing the original designed ford type not the newer redesigned suposed to fail less one.

if its not dpfe or egr it could be egr ports in lower intake might be all clogged up, and need cleaning.

and if you ask the dealer if your truck applies to 02m01 and you have less then 60k and less then 5 years from warranty start it will be covered. its not really a recall in a sence that they have to replace a part just because ford tells them too. they only replace it if you specifically come in with engine light and have codes p0401 or p0402 or p1400 or p1401 and your vehicle applies to 02m01

most 2000 through 2003 model year vehicles equipped with a tube-mounted EGR Pressure Sensor (DPFE) are covered.

Last edited by Mr_Bentwrench; 08-15-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.2L kind of jumping???