Where is the radiator drain valve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the radiator drain valve?

Where can I find the radiator drain plug? I looked under my hood a few minutes ago, and all I see that resembles a drain plug is this yellow hex shaped thing on the lower passengers side of the radiator. Is this it? If someone could help me, I need a few tips on draining/ filling the radiator if anyone cares to help. I don't want any air in the cooling system. Thanks.

Peace

Old 04-14-2004, 09:40 PM
the drain**** should be on the lower passenger side of the radiator. Take off the radiator cap and turn the drain**** until fluid comes out and let it empty out completly. That will drain out the coolant in the radiator and out of the waterpump, but it won't drain out of the block completly. The block has drain plugs on it to drain out of the engine.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Yes, that's it. I do mine a bit different. To FLUSH, not DRAIN, I get my engine semi-warm (speeds up the process), turn it off, drain the radiator, refill with distilled water, run a few minutes after upper hose turns hot (thermostat open), then, drain and repeat a few times. It's not good to leave tap water in it and you can't get it all out. Do this until about 10 gallons of distilled water is gone. The final radiator draining will leave mostly pure, clean, distilled water in the engine. Refill the radiator the last time with your total amount of straight antifreeze. Then, top off with distilled water.

Last edited by max mitchell; 04-14-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys! That's some good info there max. I'll try that.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:33 PM
You're Welcome ! I just prefer to skip block draining. I've never had any problem doing this.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I'll try it your way when I get a chance max.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:08 PM
The block on the v-6 is simple to drain. I drain the one on the drivers side, which is easy to get at, and has sealant from the factory apllied to it. I used loctite liquid teflon sealer on the plug which is square. Just watch out for hot water. I believe if you drain this one plug and the radiator, most of it is out. The little tube is called Loctite pST. pipe sealant with teflon. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I forgot all about this post LOL. I'm waiting until the end of Summer to do it. And while I was at the parts store yesterday I saw that they now have a 50/50 mixture of coolant in the gallon size jugs. Sounds like that would make it a little easier than measuring it myself. I might try that, I don't know. Thanks for the help and ideas guys, your great!

Quick Reply: Where is the radiator drain valve?