Sometimes tranny shifts hard

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sometimes tranny shifts hard

I have a 1992 f-150 2wd auto transmission. Occasionally when shifting into reverse or drive or when the transmission upshifts or downshifts while driving, the tranny slams into gear pretty hard. It shakes the whole truck sometimes it's almost enough to give you whiplash (ok, slight exaggeration)! What could cause this? The tranny fluid is full. It is not a constant problem so i don't think the tranny is worn, the truck does have 108,000 on it though. Also it doesn't seem to matter if the truck is hot or cold, but it usually happens when i have been driving up and down hills. Could the tranny pressure be getting too high from all the up and down shifting?

-Jon

Old 01-08-2001, 08:23 PM
Talking

Which tranny/engine combo? Computer controlled or conventional? Any SES light/codes? Several were used around that time, and process for diagnosis varies depending on engine and trans model.

Old 01-10-2001, 04:24 PM
I have the 4.9L I6 engine. I believe it has the E40D tranny, computer controlled. No lights or codes.

-Jon

Old 01-23-2001, 04:47 PM
I have a 1994 F-150 4X4 and I have had the transmission rebuilt, a new valve body put in, and it still shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and it seems like it doesn't have any power going up long hills unless I stomp the gas pedal to downshift to 3rd. After I drive around in the City for awhile, it goes away and the transmission shifts like normal. GO FIGURE - IT IS SO FRUSTRATING - ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Quick Reply: Sometimes tranny shifts hard