Any thoughts on More Trans Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any thoughts on More Trans Cooler?

Hey 'yall,
We are planning a trip back to OK, to pick up the last of my Fiance's stuff. Checked out the weatherplanner stuff. Ambient temps through the cities will be 50s to low 80s. On to the trans part of this.

I have a trans gauge installed, as well as a Hayden 979 trans cooler (~10x10x3/4), with a 10" fan. It seems to be doing OK, but something is telling me that I should have some extra margin on the cooler, as I will be towing a trailer back. At least an 8x10, if not my 18' flatbed (round trip). I expect the load to be 1500lb MAX in the trailer. MY flatbed weighs 2500lb, empty. I'm not sure of the weight of the 8x10 (U-haul, 1500lb?).
Trans temps I'm seing now (~100F ambient, still) are 165-180. In the mornings, it might get up to 150F by the time I get to work. I don't consider that a good example, 'cause it's all city stop-n-go driving. Towing the trailer around town, I'll see 195 under 1/4mile+ hard acceleration, then it will cool to 180F. That was back the first of August (110+).
I'm thinking of taking off Friday Morning, and heading into Globe, to see how thing go, in the cooler temps and through hills (~7%).
Bottom line: I'm on the fence as to whether I need more trans cooler or not. Someone push me off, please?

Thanks!

Tony
PS... I will be changing the fluid this weekend. Mobil1?
------------------
97 F150, 5.4l, E4OD, Towing Package, and every option except leather seats

[This message has been edited by F150Tony (edited 10-03-2000).]

Old 10-03-2000, 07:25 AM

I dont know anything about a Hayden trans cooler. But I do know about Perma Cool systems. I have one on my Expedition. Its a combination 6 pass cooler. 4 pass for trans, and 2 pass for engine oil. Thus, it cools 2 liquids. I did a lot of reading before I installed a cooler and found Perma Cool to be the most convincing! I think they are at:
http://www.perma-cool.com/

Check it out. Mine is 5/8" thick tubing. From talking to them about my application, they said I didn't need a fan. Apparently, these systems cool very well! They are constructed better than the others I've seen or read about. I've had it on for 30K and no probs at all!

You might want to add a small 2 pass 5/8" Perma-Cool trans cooler to what you already have in place. OR, if your out of space, I would call Perma-Cool and talk to them. They are VERY helpfull. They should be able to tell you what will work for your application.

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

Old 10-03-2000, 11:50 AM
First thing is where are you taking your temp reading from? Pressure Port or outgoing line? If port then yes I would be a little concerned but not if it ddin't climb above 180-190 or so. If outgoing tranny line then you are probably OK.

Other than that I would just change to a full synthetic fluid that can withstand higher temperatures without degrading. Amsoil comes first to mind. That should give you a better safety margine if it ever gets above 225 or so.

Old 10-03-2000, 11:14 PM
Rand,
Thanks for the info! I have been looking at Perma Cool, if only because they include the fan on the cooler. I will give them a call.
Did you see a big temperature drop with their trans cooler? Do you have numbers? How about oil temp? Didn't the Expd'n come with the oil cooler in the lower radiator hose? How much did the oil temp drop?

cphillip,
Are you the same guy from F-D.com? Anyway, I am reading the temp from the outgoing line. I have been thinking of Mobil1.

Has anyone had any experience w/ Mobil1?

Thanks for the info!

Tony

Old 10-05-2000, 11:56 PM
Yep Tony, thats me at F-D.com! I don't have a life do I?

Your OK then on those tranny temps man. and Yes, Mobil One is a good choice. I don't think you need any more protection. You sound like you got it all together to me. Just go with the fluid change whne you get a chance. I know you are going to see a drop with the cooler wheather anyway.

Old 10-06-2000, 01:25 PM
cphilip,
You are right about the trans temps. I just got back from Globe, AZ: ~140mi RT, 5-7% grades. Ambient temp started at 75F, climbed to 87F by the time I returned. To Globe: Trans ran a solid 150F in the flats, and would climb to 165, mostly in the down grades, but would come back down to 150F. On the return, ~155F, and no more than 165F, still, in the downgrades.

Monday, I have an appt. at the trans shop. I'll let them know to install the Mobil1.

Thanks again!

Tony

PS: I was towing my flatbed trailer: ~2600lb, empty. And the diff never got over 180F.

[This message has been edited by F150Tony (edited 10-06-2000).]

Old 10-12-2000, 11:45 PM
Question

Hey Guys,
I know this is probable not the right place to ask another question but you seem to know coolers. What about the cooler that comes stock with the tow package..any good?
Thanks,
RkyMtnFordFan

------------------
1999 oxford wht F150 s/c, 5.4, XLT, ORP, Alpine/Infinity, K&N

Old 10-13-2000, 08:48 AM
Yes, they are quite good. Fairly large and seem to work well. Sometimes at low speeds and in difficult prolonged backing with a trailer they get insufficent air flow over them so some of us put fans on for this situation but otherwise they seem adequately sized. They have a flow bypass built in to divert the flow until the tranny gets up to operating temperature so you cannot get too much cooling at start up and in cold wheather.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:36 AM
Sorry I have not gotten back to you. I never checked my temps. Was not important to me. I just went by what some of the experts have said. "A trans cooler will extend the life of your trans." It couldn't hurt!

Where I do need the cooler is when I'm driving in sand about once a year, and when I'm towing my 5,300 pound boat. Other than that, its just extra protection.

I really wish I had thought of putting a temp gauge on the trans before and after. That would have given others some good feedback. Sorry!

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

[This message has been edited by Rand (edited 10-19-2000).]

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on More Trans Cooler?