Installed B&M ShiftPlus+ kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2000, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Installed B&M ShiftPlus+ kit

I bought this thing several weeks ago, but haven't had the time to hook it up til today. As discussed in several other posts, the B&M instructions are vague, but it really isn't too bad an install if you take you time.

I ran my cable thru the firewall right in the corner of the hole for the PCM box, and attached the 3-postion switch up alongside some plastic box under the dash on the passenger side.

So far, I'd have to say the difference in position 1 is subtle, but noticeable: shifts firmer and not so slushy (this Ford auto tranny is the slushiest shifting box since the Powerglide in my old '62 Chev SS). In the firmest position (#2), the shifts seem firmer yet, but not as violent as I anticipated. I will have time to evaluate it further today after a long drive.

I did not notice any "humming" noise from the increased tranny pump pressure this thing generates.

All-in-all, not too bad a project; the cost was right ($31), and it seems to do what they advertise.

Wiil post again when I get some more miles on it.

------------------
'97 F150 Supercab XLT; 4.6l; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); fiberglass bed cap; towing package; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

Old 03-26-2000, 08:51 AM
Well, I managed to put about 100 miles on the B&M-enhanced tranny last nite and I can say I'm very pleased with it. A definite improvement in tightness of the shifts, and the truck is much more fun to drive because the "jell-o" feel is gone. A great deal for $31 and an hour's installation time.

------------------
'97 F150 Supercab XLT; 4.6l; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); fiberglass bed cap; towing package; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

Old 03-26-2000, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I also have this on mine. It is a very suttle difference in the num 1 position. B&M doesnt recomend that you run it in the 2 position much though. It probably is worth what you pay for it but I was hoping for a little more from it.

One thing that can say though is watch where you have that small black box that is in the line. Im not sure what it is that it does but it does get very damn hot. I mounted mine in the pocket on the lower right of the steering wheel. The wire runs out the rear and is hooked to the steering colmn support tubes. The thing actually gets the whole tube warm. So make sure that you dont touch any plastic or other stuff that may melt. Also by attaching it to the tube the tube is like a heat sink. Not to mention that it is easy to reach the switch from the drivers seat.

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and 3in fresh air airbox modifications,B&M Shift Plus,factory fogs added along with Blue bulbs and Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Old 04-18-2000, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaymz,

Where did you get this kit at this price? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 04-19-2000, 08:02 AM
J.C. Whitney had them on sale. Call 'em and ask if the sale price is still in effect.

------------------

'97 F150 Supercab XLT; Pacific Green; 4.6l; B & M ShiftPlus; Bosch Plus4s; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; Towing Package; Gibson dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); ARE fiberglass bed cap; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

[This message has been edited by jaymz (edited 04-19-2000).]

Quick Reply: Installed B&M ShiftPlus+ kit