Questions about synth. oil in 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2000, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about synth. oil in 5-speed

This post goes to the ones out there with synthetic oil in the 5 speed manual. All I want to know is: Did you see a difference in MPG? Performance, les friction???

I know that it will make shifting easier in the winter, but what about the other questions above?

thx, 4byFord/eph1fifty/steve (depends on the day)

------------------
1997 4x4 XLT 4.2l ORP 5-speed
For more details and pics please see my site...Thanks
www.eph1fifty.cjb.net

Old 03-10-2000, 07:41 AM
Don
The factory fill spec is ATF.
Understand that as a fluid ATF has (2) contradictory rolls, lubricate and transfer torque. As such, ATF can not contain extreme pressure additives because roller clutches, sprag clutches, and clutch plates would slip under load. A gear oil should contain these additives.
Ford's choice of ATF over conventional gear oil is for it's thinner viscosity. To reduce drag and improve cold weather flow.
I use a special 0W synthetic gear oil and note improved shifting, and a slight milage gain.

Old 03-10-2000, 10:19 AM
Thumbs up

I put Amsoil synthetic ATF in about 2 months ago, and I haven't noticed any increase in mileage. What I have noticed is an improvement in cold weather operation. The oil feels thinner, and the gearshift moves a little easier. Shifts are a little easier too, it feels like the syncros are coming up to speed quicker. Considering that 4 quarts of this costs less than $30, what have you got to lose?

Old 03-10-2000, 04:57 PM
Im also very curious about this. My truck is approaching the 10k mark and I was thinking about putting some sort of synthetic in my tranny and transfer case. I have heard pretty good things on this site about Amsoil. What stores carry this stuff?? Dont feel like ordering it. My shifts are a little clunky, but tolerable. Any improvement in mpg would be nice. (high test is up to $1.90 here in good ole CT) I might be walking to work soon. Just checked my mileage today....15.2....

Old 03-10-2000, 06:04 PM
BlackenedFord, are you sure you need to change oil allready? Any way, FYI, the diffs use synthetic oil allready (on a 1997 and up - thats all I know).

The reason why I was wondering about this is I heard that a vehicle running with full synthetic, will reduce heat and friction. Thus a smoother running car. Increase in MPG (I know it was tested on older trucks 1981 and less and these newer trucks will not be effected as much). Oh yeah my truck has 34,000 miles. I doubt that I have to change oil but if it will help the life span of my clutch, and give .00001 percent MPG increase------I'm all for it.

Besides I want to stretch every little bit of MPG that I can get out of this truck.

Old 03-10-2000, 10:48 PM
I'm using synthetic Red Line D4-ATF. It took a while, but it made a definite improvement in shifting. It didn't make a noticable diff in MPG. I switched to it for the smoother shifting and (hopefully) longer transmission life.

------------------
Danny
'98 F-150 Std., RC, SB, 4x2, 4.2L, 5-sp, 3.08, AC, speed control, rear slider.
Mods: Mobil 1 engine oil, Red Line D4-ATF trans fluid, Edelbrock IAS shocks,
50 Series Flowmaster, K&N with airbox mod, electric radiator fan, Superchip

Old 03-11-2000, 03:23 PM
Put amsoil atf in at 12,000. smoother shifting don't know if it helps mileage.my results are the same as Bill_Aquino,s.It's woth it.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 03-11-2000, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the input. How often should we change oil in our transmissions? I'm up to 34,000 miles with original oil in the trans. Do you think its about time I change oil.

Also is it a hard job (harder than an automatic)? Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2000, 04:20 PM
I changed mine at 12,000 miles.It is an easy job just undue drain plug,the lower plug on the drivers side of tranny.drain takes about 2 min.the hardest part is refilling.I got one of those fluid pumps like for filling the rear end.Screws on the amsoil bottles perfectly takes about 3.5 to 3.75 bottles of tranny fluid.good luck

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 03-21-2000, 01:52 PM
Cool

On my 1999 F150 I was told from a Ford tech that the trans has synthetic oil in it. The owners manual also states that the dif uses synthetic. If you look at the manual to find out when to change the fluid in the trans it refers you to the dif instructions and it states lifetime lube synthetic.

Old 03-30-2000, 04:42 PM
Has anyone tried GM's SynchroMesh synthetic manual transmission lube? I have heard it improves the Mustang's (T45?) shiftability. I may try some in the truck just to see if those 1-2 shifts ease up.

1999 4.2/5 speed.

Quick Reply: Questions about synth. oil in 5-speed