how to drain the torque conv. on a 99 4.6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2000, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to drain the torque conv. on a 99 4.6 ??

how do you drain the torque converter on a 1999 4.6 ? what type of drain plug is it, hex head ? how do u turn over the engine to locate the plug ? what is the total amount of fluid needed for a drain,filter change and torque converter drain ?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2000, 07:54 AM
Cool

Ranger91,
On my '97 you have a tapered pipe plug (hex head). Someone said to replace it anytime you remove it, however I simply put a little ptfe (teflon thread sealant) on it and put it back in. The was I found the plug was I removed the rubber grommet (insert seal) and had someone barely bump the starter until it becomes visible. This method takes a few minuites, but it does work. I think the capacity of the T.C. was if I remember right around 4or5 quarts (can't remember exactly)

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Old 02-20-2000, 02:22 PM
Cool

what's happening rangerr91? To drain the torque converter on your 4R70W trans takes a
couple easy steps. Remove the rubber grommet in the bottom of the trans bellhousing. Turn the engine over by hand at the crankshaft bolt or have someone bump the engine over till you see the plug. The plug has a 11mm head on it and comes out fairly easy. I also would put some teflon sealant on the plug when reinstalling. I am not sure how much the torque converter holds, but with a pan and torque converter drain it can hold between 12 and 14 quarts. The tranny will only hold about 8 quarts before you will have to start it. After starting finish filling the trans. Check for leaks and road test. Oh by the way the trans takes Mercon V trans fluid, it's stamped on the dipstick handle. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2000, 07:45 PM
Lightbulb

Howdy All,

Not a Good practice to use Teflon tape/sealant on any fittings that are on a trans. Small particles from the tape/sealant have been known to block small passages in transmissions. Which can affect the opperation of the trans and/or premature failure of it. The Manufacturer recommends replacing the plug to prevent leaks, although you could probably use the same one over again as long as you don't over tighten it. Just verify that itZ not leaking when your done. Also after you drain the converter, drop the pan and replace the filter with a new one. Be carefull, sometimes the seal on the filter stays in the pump bore. ItZ best to just use your finger to remove it, as you don't want to scratch the sealing surface.(itZ part of the pumps inlet.) I would spend the Xtra dollars and buy a new gasket and filter from the dealer. Also you may want to pull the case out line off to flush the old tranny fluid out (ItZ usually the line that is closest to the converter (bellhousing)

I believe the fluid capacity is around 13-14 quarts. (check your owners manual and look on your dipstick for the type of oil) Put in about six quarts, then with the case out line still removed (end of line in a bucket) start your truck and continue adding fluid. ItZ best if you have a helper that can watch the fluid comming out of the tranny line, as soon as the fluid comming out looks new shut off your engine, reconnect the line, and continue filling the trans til itZ at the cold fill line on your dipstick. Test drive and recheck your level. The tranny is considerd at operating temp after the vehicle has been driven for aprox 25 miles (hit the HiWay)

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, FOxFO, 5.4L, 3.55, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS

Old 02-21-2000, 08:55 PM
There is no reason to purchase a new trans pan gasket. The gasket is of the reusable type.

Old 02-22-2000, 09:24 PM
If you properly apply the teflon thread sealant tape you will leave the first thread or two bare- thus preventing the possibility of teflon tape entering your transmission system. I would have to imagine a ridiculus amount of teflon tape was overused or the rotation the tape was applied was wrong to were the torquing pushed the teflon off the threads instead of the rotation tightening the teflon into the thread clearance. Use it correctly and it works correctly!

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Quick Reply: how to drain the torque conv. on a 99 4.6 ??