Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaks

Just picked up a 92 4X4 with the 5.0 and a 5 speed manual transmission. Truck has 133K and is leaking a good deal fluid from somewhere on the tranny. Appears to be comming from the top around at the rear of the tranny. Leaks only when on the road, but not when sitting. Before I head to the shop I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what, out side of the rear gasket could be leaking?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 02-14-2000, 05:15 PM
Seems I read a past post which talked about a gasket leak around the shifter. Try a search on that topic.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Nerf Bars and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, maybe a Superchip

Old 02-15-2000, 01:14 AM
Unhappy

I also have a 92 with a 5 speed and 112,000 mi. with leaks. The leaks come from 3 rubber plugs at the top rear of the transmission. They are access holes to remove the shifter rods if you were to overhaul the transmission. I wish they would have just put threaded holes in with threaded plugs. Mine leaks in the winter but not in the summer here in hot AZ. It's a Mazda transmission. I have replaced the rubber plugs 2x. They cost about $3 each and you can do it yourself. Good Luck-Steve

Old 02-18-2000, 09:35 PM
Steve 41

You are correct, it is a Mazda transmission. How do you replace the plugs? I can't even see them with the transfer case adapter in the way. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 02-19-2000, 01:13 AM
Oops, I did not consider the transfer case adapter being in the way because I have a 2WD. When I was first searching for the leak I actually found it by removing the shifter boot and access plate from the inside of my truck. When you remove the boot and access plate you can see the top rear of the transmission where the plugs are. Hope this helps-Steve

Old 02-19-2000, 06:21 PM
Thanks Steve,

Your answer does help. Next challenge is to figure out how much hardware/carpet has to be removed to get to the access plate. I have one more question: I am assuming that the M5OD transmission uses Dexron III, Mecron ATF, or at least that is what I have been able to ascertain from Haynes and Chilton. Is that what you are using? The reason I ask is because since I realized the leak and refilled the transmission the shifting seems to want to bind a little.

Thanks again,
Rich

Old 02-20-2000, 12:33 AM
Rich,
I am using the MERCON (DexronII) fluid as recommended in my Chilton manual. It's pretty thin fluid, has a blue tint if I remember correctly, and is very slippery. I'm sure you are using the right fluid.
Some food for thought: My leak is the worst when I park front-first in my driveway because it is a sloping driveway, the fluid would be right up against the rubber plugs. If I backpark there is no leak. If I park on level ground I also do not have the leak. Since you just filled it up it may be interesting to check your fluid level a week later to gauge just how much is leaking. My leak at it's worse is a spot about 4" in diameter. Then it will not take much when I do go to fill it, so my thought is that it really is not leaking that much other than when I'm parked at an angle, or I suppose driving up a hill.
I top it off as part of my 3,000 mile oil change, and it has never been dangerously low.
I haved own my truck since it was new and have always thought the shifting was notchy, but it has never failed or gotten better or worse, and I'm still on the original clutch at 112,000 miles.
Good Luck-Steve

Old 02-20-2000, 06:01 AM
Banned
The '98 owner's manual lists Mercon ATF as the correct fluid for the M5OD and the Ford FACTORY shop manual further lists
Use Motorcraft MERCON Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or DDX or equivalent Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Full capacity is 3.5 liters (3.75 quarts). Fill to 6mm (3/8") below fill hole. I had a '92 and the specs were the same for it as well.

Old 02-20-2000, 02:31 PM
Cool

When I replacing these plugs at the rear of the trans apply a small amount of silicone around the plug prior to installing them in the trans(do not go crazy when applying the silicone a thin coat will do). There is one other possible fix. The shop that we get reman. trannys from installs metal plugs just like the ones Ford installs in the front of the top cover. Either way should repair your leak. Another way to get to the plugs is unhook the shifter from the top, remove the rear driveshaft, unbolt the trans crossmember, and lower the trans down with a floor jack. You also might want to check the front shift rail plugs and top cover gasket for leaks, because these tend to leak as well. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2000, 07:39 PM
Thanks All for the good info. Today I pulled out the passenger seat and rolled back the carpet far enough to get to the access plate. Sure enough there were the tree little plugs. Loose enough that I could freely move them. Unfortunately I soon realized that there is not enough room to pop them out without taking the shifter plate out. Is there anything I should know before I unbolt the plate and remove it? Nothing worse than a shade tree mechanic with no written instructiions.

Thanks again to All,
Rich

Quick Reply: Leaks