B&M, or reset computer first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post B&M, or reset computer first?

I am debating on getting the electronic B&M shift improver for my truck, but I was wondering what y'all think of it, those who may have it already. Also, if I disconnect the battery, then go out and drive the truck, will my computer have to re-learn everything, including the transmission shift points/firmness? I guess I am wondering if disconnecting the battery will do anything to improve the way the tranny shifts, or is it not even worth the time? Thanks for your help!!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-07-2000, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if the adaptive computers will relearn the shifts enough to make you happy. You may want to post in the ask a vendor section, or in the computer chips section.

I do know that the factory 'slip & slide' shifting on these trucks is a joke! Ford does it intentionally, I guess to appeal to our 'feminine' side. IMO, the Superchip makes it shift like it should have from the factory, and if you want a really crisp hard shift, have the Superchip people program the chip for that.

BTW, you can get a 'custom' chip that only improves the shifting and doesn't require premium fuel.

My friend runs a B&M set on the lowest shift stiffness with a Superchip in his Expedition and loves how it shifts.

The stock shifting is my biggest complaint with the auto F150, as it is the worst of any vehicle I've ever driven. I wouldn't be surpised if improved shifting reduces the quarter mile time by 0.5 second.

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, bed liner, Sony 10 disc CD, Edelbrock IAS, K&N filter, Superchip

Old 02-08-2000, 12:33 AM
Dave,
Has your friend ran the Expedition with only the B&M on it, and if so, what did he say about the way it shifted then? I am asking b/c the B&M is pretty inexpensive ($40) and I am a college student, so price is definately a consideration!!! I'm sure you know what I mean! Let me know what you find out!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-08-2000, 01:19 AM
Yes, he had the B&M first, and was very happy with it, and usually ran it in one position stiffer than he runs it now w/the Superchip. Apparently, the B&M increases the line pressure in the tranny, whereas the chip keeps the pressure the same. In theory, the chip is a little less hard on the transmission, but many people report good results w/ the B&M. If Ford programmed it to shift like it should, you wouldn't have the problem, but I think the B&M is a good solution on a budget.

Old 02-08-2000, 02:14 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the response! I think I will try the B&M, and I agree with your assesment of Ford's transmissions. My friend had his tranny TOTALLY replaced in his 1998, with less than 30,000 on it, it hung up real bad in 3rd, before the shift into overdrive. By the way, what kind of dirt bike do you ride? I have been riding for about 8 years now, and currently have a 1998 Husqvarna WXC 250. Nothing beats a good day in the woods or at the track!

------------------

Old 02-09-2000, 01:10 AM
You are right about the woods riding - that is my favorite and we have a few excellent forests to ride in California. My bike is a modified 1991 Kawasaki KDX250 (Race Tech suspension, etc...) that I've got set up to work pretty well in the woods. It is also street legalized for dual sport runs. Most my buddys are now riding '99 or '00 KTM 300EXCs, and that will be my next bike.

I've been riding since 1976 and don't plan to stop anytime soon!

Old 02-09-2000, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

OK, I'm curious about this product, too. Does ANYONE have actual experience with it on a F150 PU? I have a '97 4.6l that I'd like to try it on. Don't really want the SuperChip as I don't want it to mandate premium gas.

BTW: this product is on sale at JC Whitney for $30.99.

------------------
'97 F150 Supercab XLT; 4.6 L; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; fiberglass bed cap; towing package; JVC HEad unit & 12 disk changer; compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

Old 02-09-2000, 09:24 PM
Jaymz- when I discovered this board, I had exactly the same question, as I was considering buying the B&M. You may want to search back for older threads; check the computer chip section as well, as a lot of the shifting questions got put in there. Webmaster Steve has deleted many of the old posts, so you may not find much.

If I remember correctly, there were a 2 or 3 people that were very happy with the B&M in a F150. There was one member who noticed that the B&M unit got hot and smelled (my friend with the Expy has not noticed either problem). Some questioned whether the increased line pressure was bad for the tranny, but nobody reported problems. I think one guy knew someone who knew someone who blew a tranny using B&M products.

I do know B&M has been modifying trannys for decades and that the stock shifting sucks.

Old 02-10-2000, 12:06 AM
Jaymz,
Go and look unde the "ask a vendor" thread, there is a topic i posted about the B&M that was answered by Mike from superchips. I agree with you, I am not up for spending extra $$ on premium gas, and I am not unhappy with the power that my truck puts out now, just the crappy shifting. i am gonna get it from JC Whitney if it is on sale now!!!
DAVE,
Those race tech suspensions are supposed to be great, i've heard alot of good about them!! The woods are my favorite, I am not a big track fan at all. And actually, i almost got a 99 KTM 200 or 250, I rode both and loved them, a 250 is perfect though, especially for someone my size, it has all the power you need in the woods, as you well know!!

------------------

Old 02-10-2000, 12:44 AM
ORP - you are right about the power of a good 250. The KTM 300s will only pull my modified KDX (FMF, Answer, Boyesen, carb work, thin KX gaskets, mild porting) on the fire roads, and my 40-45 hp is plenty in the woods - the 300 is about 50 hp per KTM, but I love the heavy flywheel on the KDX250 for nasty trails (but hate the excess 20 pounds).

Race Tech rocks in the woods! This is my 3rd bike with their suspension and I'm totally satisfied. If you go Race Tech and want some set up opinions, email me at mcyclenut@earthlink.net

Old 02-10-2000, 06:33 PM
Smile

Hey guys,
I read a post this week on another board about a guy using the B&M Shift Plus. He said he got a buzzing noise from the trans when in park or nuetral. Otherwise he loves it. His trans was the E4OD, I think you guys have the AODE. I'm using the B&M valve body shift improver in my E4OD (works great!) and I'm thinking about adding the shift plus to gain some adjustability.

Old 02-11-2000, 08:13 PM
U said: "I do know that the factory 'slip & slide' shifting on these trucks is a joke! "

My ? is: Is this when you are backing off the throttle the depress to accelerate and it feels like it is going in between gears the tach raises about 500 then it catches?

I hate that

------------------
rev.
99 reg. cab, flareside,
true dual exhaust. I call
it candy apple red w/ metal
flake. Ford calls it something else
Roy
wesanders@earthlink.net

Old 02-11-2000, 10:15 PM
mancard,
That is one of the many poor characteristics of mt tranny, along with soft, delayed, jolting shifts in stop and go traffic and under heavy acceleration. I am no mechanic, but I do know that a $30,000, 2 year old truck shouldn't be acting like that. I don't want to sound like i am endorsing those low-riding Z-71's but my friends 2000 chevy shifts amazingly good, hold gears longer, etc.. maybe the B&M will solve most of this, but I am having trouble finding it on the JC Whitney page, it's supposedly on sale there for $30.99?????

------------------

Old 02-12-2000, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ORPlariet

B&M unit is on page S-6 of JCW Catalog #635F-02.

They have a new catalog out about every 12 hrs, so don't blink.

Ordered mine online Thurs. Somewhat concerned about "heating" comments and whining experienced by some users, but for $31, it's worth a try.

Will let people know how it works (if I get inspired enough to install it in dead of a MN winter).

Old 02-12-2000, 07:39 PM
JAYMZ,
Just got my shift plus today at a show I went to, they had it on sale for $30. I am going to install it tongight or tomorrow. I am going to try and mount the unit in an area that is somewhat ventilated, to try and avoid the heating/smelling stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

------------------

Quick Reply: B&M, or reset computer first?