98 F150 4.6 Worst vehicle I ever bought

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd relate the experiences my friends and I had with our trucks.

Initially we all owned toyotas, myself and one had loaded 97 T100s, and the other just a 90 pickup 4x4. As far as they went, they were all good trucks. Absolutely no major mechanical problems. They did okay offroading (plenty of ground clearance). One problem was constant fish-tailing and hydroplaning during any amount of rain.

My friend sold his T100 a few months ago for a Chevy 2500 turbo diesel, extended cab long bed. I'm not sure what the Chevy 'loaded' package is, SLT? He got that too. He has over 200 thousand miles on the engine (I think it was replaced once) but it still runs fairly well.

As for myself, I'm about to sell my T100 today or tomorrow and go buy a spiffy F-150

Lastly, my friend with the 90 toyota is hoping that with a christmas bonus from work he can trade his in and lease one of those new dakota crew cabs.

So we'll have all the big names covered, I'll post any big problems that pop their heads up.

Old 12-13-1999, 01:42 PM
Chevytruck, you mean to tell me that the only time your truck has been in the shop is for engine ping and oil changes. Fess up.

Old 12-13-1999, 01:53 PM
Spartan:

I like your post. We can learn from the experiences of others, both good and bad. I really don't have a big beef against Ford. I just had one bad experience and it was enough to turn my loyalty. If I get burned by GM, I will likely go elsewhere, maybe Dodge, maybe even a Toyota if I run out of domestic options.
See, for me, troublefree driving is more important than functionality. The extra options that GM has over the competition is nice, but if I ever have reliability problems that are not taken care of, they too will lose my business. I would rather spend my money in a way to support the US economy, but lets face it, the auto industry isn't concerned with my finances. I will do business where I get the most value for my money. Imports are not real "working" trucks, in my opinion, but I will put up with less functionality and drive a lighter truck to get more reliability. So far, I am happy with both on the Silverado, but just like FordTough mentioned, it only has 14k miles. Hopefully, my good luck with GM will continue, but I have no problem going elsewhere if it doesn't.
Good luck with your F150. I am sure you will be happy with it. Like GM with the new model year, Ford had some new model issues to work out. I am pretty sure they have those things resolved now and you will have little if any problems with it.
I too will continue to disclose my experiences good or bad with my Silverado. I am no longer in the game of "My truck's better than your truck". If my truck has problems, I am not too proud to tell everyone. Believe me, when I had problems with my Ford, EVERYONE heard. It will be no different if my Silverado has problems, especially if GM won't fix them.

Hey, this will probably be my last post here for a while. Everyone have a great celebration of Christ's birthday!

Old 12-13-1999, 02:00 PM
FordTough:

Thats what I am telling you, except not even for oil changes. I do my own regular maintenance, i.e. oil changes, lubes, brakes, etc.

My Silverado pulls a trailer much better than the F150 I had also. I know, I know, your going to give me all the higher torque curves at a lower rpm and all the other stuff. That may all be true, but I have towed with both the 5.4l and 4.6l, as well as my 5.3l. Equally equipped mind you, i.e. all having the same rear diff gearing, all 4wd, etc. "At highway speeds" and when "going up inclines", the Silverado tows much more comfortably than the F150. At highway speeds, HP is to more of an advantage than low end torque. That is where I "feel" the difference, regardless of the specs of each on paper.

Have a great Christmas.

Old 12-13-1999, 04:01 PM
Chevytrucks: Thanks for your reply. I agree with you 100%, each person has their own opinion. How do you like your Silverado? How do you compare it with the older vortec 350's? I have heard alot of mixed emotions on the trucks. I do like to see that the newer 2000's got 285hp and 325 lb/torque out of the 5.3l. How are you doing for mileage?

Old 12-13-1999, 07:56 PM
zbad71, 2sly4u etc. how many times have you got kicked off of edmunds.com

Old 12-14-1999, 10:47 AM
Pastmaster:

I like the 350's better than this 323, but I like the overall package of the model better.
I read that someone you know got 21 mpg with the 350. I don't know anyone that got that good of fuel economy from the 350. I consistently get 18-19 combined city and highway. Consistently get 20-21 on all highway trips, both figures without a load, of course.

FordTough:
It's obvious you just want trouble so I am not responding to your posts any longer.
Good luck with your truck.

Old 12-14-1999, 11:11 AM
chevytrucks, I like the way you ease your way into things, before you start your bashing just as you have done on edmunds.com I know that you have been kicked off of there atleast 3 times. I am sorry that I accused you of having vibration problems, I got you mixed up with someone else. But just because you get kicked off of edmunds doesn't me you have to come over here starting stuff. (you may think you haven't but you will, just a matter of time)

For those who don't know him. He says contradicting things. He also claims he bought a 98 Ford used with 34,000 miles and has had every thing to break on it. He buys a used ford with his claimed 6 digit income. I don't get it.

[This message has been edited by ford-tough1 (edited 12-14-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 02:33 PM
#1 I didn't get kicked off of Edmunds site... ever. Just because I changed to a different login id, doesn't mean I was ever kicked off.

#2 I am not bashing anyone here. I havn't started anything at Edmunds.com either. I have only dished out in response to others'
bashing and ridicule and they could not take what they dished out. Anyone that disagrees is a basher. Seems like that attitude carries over here too. You seem to think that just because I don't agree with you about all aspects of Ford, I am bashing you and your truck.

#3. Yes, I did buy a used F150. I also have 2 other trucks and a car that I "own", no financing involved. I started out leasing my Silverado for financial reasons to my benefit. I have since paid cash for it and it is "truly mine", not the bank's. Just because someone buy's a used truck doesn't mean that they can't afford a new one. My brother in law is extremely wealthy. The only new vehlicle you will ever see him in is the one he bought for my sister. All his trucks are old Chevy or GMC trucks, and I mean 7 years old or older. I think the newest truck he owns is a 92 3500.

#4 Regardless of what you believe, and I don't really care if you do, I do have a six figure income, and not that it was really relevant information for you to disclose here. I am in a Software design role (education in Engineering) in my job. I also make over 40k a year doing taxes during the tax season. Is it really relevant to you or anyone else here? No.

It seems that you are the only one getting nasty and personal. You claim it is because I have bashed your Ford's and because I was kicked off of another site for the same. What it "really" boils down to is that I own a GM truck so now I am not welcome here. My opinion was asked for, not volunteered. Wouldn't you agree that is your attitude if you are being truly "honest". You Ford owners always say that Chevy owners are the first to bash and cause problems. Isn't this what you have done, Mr. Ford-Tough1?

Regardless of what I have said or done in the past, until I have bashed here or "initiated" problems here, you send a message to me that is very pompous and arrogant and you are saying that anyone with a GM vehicle is not welcome here.
There are plenty of GM truck owners that frequent here and are contributors to this site. Some of them own both Ford and GM. How do you know that I don't own a Ford truck? Maybe I have an older Ford. You have no clue, because you jumped to conclusions and "bashed" me before I said anything to merit such an attitude from you.

Is this the way all Ford owners act?

Old 12-14-1999, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome Ford-tough1 looks like a great site for a trucking enthusiast such as myself. Just for the record I am happy to say that after 13000 km 8000 mi on my truck I am still very satisfied. And that nice built Ford tough leather jacket the dealer sent me makes me even happier to own that truck. Ill be sure to stop in soon to the chat room. Hopefully soon , but im quite busy right now getting ready for X-mas. Friday im loading up the truck with our Snowmobile and one on the trailer and heading 1000 k 600 miles out east to Quebec for the holidays to visit family.

Old 12-14-1999, 04:06 PM
Refer back to the first post you made on here. Who made the personal attack? Yes there are other people that own ford and chevies on here, and some that own only chevies but I have never said anything to them. They don't act like you do. I don't bash GM owners for owning a GM. You acted like you have never seen these problems before. You said "Driving a Chevy, I would be able to stay on top of potential problems and know what to look for in my truck." when you asked where I got the post on 99-00 GM trucks. Like you didn't know all of the problems, you were a member at edmunds.com so you knew about the problems. You could never say that ford is having as many problems as GM. You could decide that by the amount of posted problems with GM. I am being defensive before I need to be because I have seen what you have done elsewhere. I never said a word to you over there because it was a "neutral" site with people with every brand. But this is a Ford site so I will step in.

In one sentence you will say you are not bashing ford trucks and in the next you talk about how everyone is having problems with them.
In one sentence you talk about the irrelavency of something and in the next sentence you tell more about it.

This is what you do I have seen many many post where you do this.
I will take a quote from you "Grow up dude"

Old 12-14-1999, 04:36 PM
F150online
Founder
I am closing this thread. Not for the content in it, but for the presence of a single poster, some jackass with the initials DH from Lees Summit, MO.

I do not find any information that he posted in this thread to be offensive, but rather his mere presence, that he insists on re-registering on these message boards, despite having been banned, which is blatant harassment.

I have contacted a local attorney to see what kind of action might be taken and will let everyone know the results. My gut instinct is that since I have the "paper" trail of this user, a recording of a threatening message he left on my answering machine, each and every email message sent and received, hotmail account id's (among many others) and message threads, I have sufficient evidence to file a restraining order, if not worse.

For anyone that wished to help me with this user, please contact abuse@rr.com with the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx), telling them of the history of DH and let's hope that his account is revoked.

Scum like this keeps coming back, the best I can do is catch it as early as possible (thanks Clark). Bottom line, "dano", you are not welcome here.

You continue to threaten me, disrespect the rules of these message boards and waged a personal attack on my family.

Find a Chevy board to harass where you are welcome.

Steve

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 12-15-1999).]

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999, 12:32 AM
Hello Ford-Tough one im new here but I have been reding the posts here for a few months.
Seeing this lost Chevy guy here finnally spurred me to Join. I would like to say that last June I bought my first new Truck, a 99 F-150 regular cab 8 foot box 4.2 with the 5 speed manual. I am a student but I work part time construction after class. I pull out the garbage trailer and close down the site for the night. My point is that out of all the trucks that show up at the job site, they are 3 too 1 Ford. I would like to say that Ford Motors on average last longer, (any motor can go early- Ford GM or Mercedes) Fords have much better structural ridgity. Ive ridden in both the 1998 and 2000 chevy's nice trucks but looking in the side mirror you could see terrible body flex. The body flex in these two trucks was as much as my 89 had before I traded it after a life of hard work, and the new Chevys were just personal trucks. Also if you buy a new truck based on long term durability look around construction sites see how many fords from the early to mid 80's that are still around, again about 3 to one Ford, and on average they are in better shape than the Chevy's. The reason we dont see any old Chevys around here Because here in Canada with the amount of road salt used used the Chevys just rusted away. Here Cities , construction companies and Highway agencies all use ford's and they keep them along time. Dont get me wrong Chevy trucks are nice and have there positives too but when it comes down to working a truck hard go with the Ford.

Old 12-15-1999, 12:55 AM
Welcome aboard, as you have already found out this is the best site for Ford trucks. Visit the chatroom on week nights. Alot of people show up.

Quick Reply: 98 F150 4.6 Worst vehicle I ever bought