F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   98 F150 4.6 Worst vehicle I ever bought (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/9026-98-f150-4-6-worst-vehicle-i-ever-bought.html)

Going back to Foreign 10-28-1999 01:52 AM

98 F150 4.6 Worst vehicle I ever bought

4000 miles rear springs replaced for squeaks
6400 miles tranny replaced for slipping out of gear when hitting small bumps. Found out it was replaced with a factory rebuilt after being told it was a new tranny by the service manager! That one leaked less than 2000 miles later and a rear seal, tail housing and yoke on the drive shaft was replaced by a second dealer because the first dealer refused to work on it since it was in dispute. Fortunately it was in the shop being worked on during the dispute and I was awarded a 75,000 mile warranty. I wanted 100,000 and a new tranny but they would not do that. Got it out ofd the shop with a vibration at 65mph and the driveshaft had to be replaced. It only took 4 trips to fix a driver side air leak at the top corner of the glass that I pointed directly out to the service writer. Now at 20,000 the squeak is back, the tranny has been slipping in cooler weather and I continue with a spark knock and a whopping 14mpg combo city and highway mileage. Looks like I will be returning to rice burners soon!

Blake Bowden 10-28-1999 02:34 AM

I'am starting to agree. I bought my 97' F150 4x4 5.4 with 45k miles on it. I'am now at 60k and have these problems:

Check Engine Light (Maybe O2 sensor?)

Bad wind noise coming from top of drivers door

Continously slipping tranny. Shifting from 1-2-3 the RPM's will increase 600-800 before engaging gears, then the RPM's will drop to the appropriate level...BLAH

Rough Idling

Door Crack on Drivers Side door

Paint/Metal Cracks on top gutter rails

I had a 96 Camaro, then a fully loaded 96 Tahoe SLT and sold the camaro and traded in the tahoe for my dream truck. Unfortunately this POS truck is litterally falling apart at the seams. Yea, it has fairly high mileage, but gesh..it's 2 freakin years old! Before my previous cars I had a 1990 Mustang GT convertible and that thing ran for 185k miles before I traded it in....it's too bad Ford made Quality #981277439 with the F150's. Damn shame. I heard of similar problems, piston slap, leaking back window, cracks, poor paint, piss poor driveline, etc...now just saving up so that I can dump this truck before I pay big bucks on getting it to run the way it should. I don't think it's covers all Fords, just the crappy F150's. Just the other day I tried changing out the plugs on my 5.4...that's the most rigged design. I love having to remove most of the top part of the engine, just to find that the plugs are about 6' in the engine. Unless you're just the man and have all the tools and time in the world..you're not changing the plugs. I got the first 4 changed..but laughed/cussed my ass off at even attempting the others...man the good ole days of changing plus on my chevy 350 or my mustangs 5.0...

MY RANT OF THE YEAR

[This message has been edited by Blake Bowden (edited 10-28-1999).]

seacrow 10-28-1999 08:19 AM

Sorry you guys have had bad luck, I too had a 98 F-150 that was a POS but I gave Ford another chance and my current 99 is a gem. At least try another American truck before selling out and buying an overpriced-undersized Tundra. Believe me there are just as many foreign P'sOS as there are American. I used to work at a Toyota dealer, part of my job was taking new cars off the truck and PDI. I once drove an Avalon and the windsheild fell out and about half of the Camry's spent a week in service to get the things running right (4cyl). They just don't let this stuff slip out to destroy the great American brainwash.

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6Romeo, Auto, 3.55 LS, Oxford White, Dark Graphite int., Tow Package, Orlando appearance package (Body color honeycomb grill, mirrors, and Lariat wheels) Gave up on the captains chairs!! I'll live with the 60/40 for now :(
I am taking my Bucs front license plate off until they dump Trent Dilfer :( again!

wolvrin704 10-28-1999 10:44 AM

No matter what the vehicle is there will be some lemons. I have a 97 with 60,000 miles and the only problem I have is the check engine light which I will be having the dealer look at. I had a Toyota before my F-150 and I will twll you right now I wouldn't trade the F-150 for a dozen of the Toys. I liked the Toy but LOVE my F-150.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster, Bosch+4 plugs,MSD 8.5 wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars.
Future mods:4" lift,ram air hood,and a supercharger.

cloaker 10-28-1999 02:56 PM

Let's see...ford sold 1.1+ million vehicles in the last 3 months...nuff said right? that is one million one hundred thousand plus vehicles!!! in three months!

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
3.73, 4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTO,
139wb, Medium Red Tor.,
Rhino, K&N, BugGuard,
RainGuards, Superchip
f150online sticker!!! GET ONE NOW!

Loser1 10-28-1999 04:21 PM

The only problem I have with my F150 is fitting it in the garage next to my Expedition!!!!

I love my rides!!!!!

I do understand the frustration one might have if they do get a "lemon" vechicle.

------------------
99 4x4 XLT supercab 5.4L Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Med. Graphite w/Captain Chairs, Pioneer DEP-4000, Tint, K&N, Bedliner, 3" Catback w/3 Chamber Flowmaster, 285/75/16 BFG A/T on American Racing Python wheels

'00 Expedition, Silver w/Dark graphite, 5.4l and some other stuff. All in all she'll stay stock.

Tina 10-28-1999 04:28 PM

Blake B: Noticed you're interested in a F250. Me too. I've been doing some searching for the lowest prices and tried Autobytel on the internet. Great place. I filled out their questionair and they got back with me the next day. They found a dealer 2 hours from me that will sell me a 2000 F250 4x2 Crew Cab XLT 6speed Turbo Diesel with sliding rear glass and tinted windows for $28,863 On top of this is tax and tags of course. I really want this truck but I have the opposite problem than the rest of you. My 97 runs GREAT!! And it's paid for. So I'm still tossing all this up in the air. Try www.autobytel.com and see what you can come up with! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/wink.gif

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Dustoff 10-28-1999 07:14 PM

Autobytel is great! I have used it twice (7/98 and 9/99) and have received outstanding service from them and the dealer they recommended.
I would highly recommend giving them a try!

--------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II

Pastmaster 10-28-1999 08:33 PM

Hey GBTF: Before you go over to a TIN truck, consider another F-150 or a SuperDuty. I don't know what you do with a truck, but I won't ever buy a toyota. I understand your problems, and your entitled to your own opinion, but give them another look, you didn't state the year of your truck, but alot has changed since 1996. Ask anyone around here!

Dunbarton 10-28-1999 09:43 PM

Blake,

It is a risky proposition buying a used 4x4 of any kind without specifically knowing the history of the vehicle. I am not condemning for that as maybe that was what your budget could afford.

I bought used (cars) some years ago and had more than my share of problems with them. I swore never to buy an unknown used vehicle again.

A 4x4 is inherently used for just that. Many are beat to hell off road and abused in other ways. Sure, some are well cared for but they are in the minority on a new dealer's used lot.

This F150 I now have is my first truck and new Ford product ever and so far it is as good a vehicle as I have ever had.

I agree with those who also recommend to give Ford F150 another try and buy a new one if you can...... I wish you the best in your endeavors for a new and suitable vehicle and can relate to your frustration.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

HCBPH 10-28-1999 10:51 PM

Here's a thought for those that have 'Lemons'. I had a Dodge that was the same as some of these listed. I still have the documentation showing that for over 180 of the first 365 days I owned it, it was in the shop. I didn't have it the first 6 loan payment days. This was one year before the Lemon law in the state I lived, I was stuck. About the only thing not fixed was the topper and the tires, most repairs were done 2-6 times. After a lot of raising Hell with the District Rep for Chrysler, he told me to take it to the Chrysler/Plymouth Dealer. Turned out the Dodge dealer had 'deficient' mechanics, they were breaking as much as they fixed. Once fixed by mechanics at the Chrysler/Plymouth dealership, it was fixed for good.

Check out where your friends with Fords get theirs fixed. Any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer should be able to do warranty work. Go to the dealership where they do the best work, after all there is a difference in dealerships and mechanics. I have one place I go for mechanical work and another for body work.

Good luck to everyone with problem vechicles, may they be corrected very soon.

------------------
97 XLT Extended Cab 4X2, Northland Edition Short Box. Dark Toreador Red & Saddle Tan Accent. Tan Interior. 4.6L V8, 4-Spd Automatic. 3.55 Limited Slip differential, ABS, Factory Mag Wheels, Factory Bedliner, Non-Leaking Sliding Rear Window, Trailer Towing Package, LeBra Tonneau, Ziebarted, with Repaired Crack in the drivers door.

Blake Bowden 10-29-1999 12:07 AM

Yea I see you guys points also. I'am just sick and tired of all these problems occuring within a few months. You can't beat the F150 for looks/style. I've actually been looking at a 4 door F250 4x4...just wish I could get the one I want for under $36k https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif Tundra? Nah...I don't want a pumped up compact pickup. Even if my truck is a POS I wouldn't have a foriegn pickup, guess that's just me. It's just when you have your paint, tranny, and engine going to hell with the truck is 2 years old it tends to make people a little irate.

Blake

crash1 10-29-1999 12:09 AM

I'm with wolvrin704. 90,000 miles and a power steering pump later, my dad's '97 sc is still as tight as ever.

When they first came out, I fell in love. As a tech, we were driving these (as with any car) before the dealer was authorized to sell them.

At that time, I was warned to stay away from the first year production run. "The factory needs time to work out the bugs." It is hard to resist having one of the first few released, but I waited. To me it was not worth the headache.

I'm glad I did. Now I can even fill-up with the engine running...lol

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150

V10 man 10-29-1999 02:31 AM

Tina,

Buy that truck now!! Sounds like a great price. My 99 SD, Crew, XLT, V10, Auto, Loaded was $26800 plus tax, license.

cphilip 10-29-1999 10:39 AM

My Wife's 97 Nissan Pathfinder has been in the shop 12 times for four problems and after the warranty went out the power antenna failed. My 97 Lariat F150 has been in three times for three problems one of them cosmetic , one of them caused by a clumsy service guy. Other was noisy bushings and steering linkage. All mine were fixed same day or at least the next. All of hers required more than one trip each a week apart or more to fix with one requiring three trips. Problem = Nissan dealer keeps no parts on hand. Ford dealer almost always has his or will get them next day. Judge for yourself: Quality is a matter of preception and luck, service is everything.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over gold, 4.6L (Windsor) automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels and the 4X4 decals, MOD so far= K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster VVS shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps.