Thinking about a tranny cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Thinking about a tranny cooler.

You know, the one that has the fan already mounted on it? Anyone know how hard it is to splice one of these into the existing system? Of course I mean like what kind of fittings (and sizes) would be needed. Also, should it be an add on, or in addition to the factory cooler. Just want to do some research before going shopping. What do I really need to get this done. Should I just get a bigger(no fan) cooler?,,,,,98

Old 08-24-2002, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fittings you can get at www.bulkparts.com and I think it is kit # T 395 that you will need. You will definatly want it to be an add on in addition to your factory cooler. Fluid to water heat transfer is WAY better than fluid to air transfer. Those people that bypass the factory cooler and just use the new cooler are making a big mistake. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2002, 01:34 AM
Thumbs up

And of course I would like to use a trans temp gauge also Plus I have the radiator cooler plus the external towing pkg cooler. Do you think it would overkill to have a third cooler? Should I just replace the the existing external cooler? Sorry I have so many questions, I'm sure once I crawl under the truck it will not be such a difficult thing to understand. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.,,,,98

Old 08-24-2002, 11:33 AM
do you tow?????how much cooling do you need ?? i just ordered an exteral cooler because i only have the internal kind so i needed some help... i'm thinkin' a little overkill..

Old 08-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Yes, My opinion is that three coolers is overkill. If anything I would replace the external with the fan mounted one. Maybe you should install the temp guage and see what temps you are running.

Old 08-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Exclamation

Well, I don't really tow, but I do spend alot of time driving across the country with a fully loaded truck. Usually at or slightly above the speed limit. I just want to make sure the trans is going to last as long as it possibly can. My trans fluid has gone bad before it should have several times. Less than a year, somewhere around 15 to 20k. I have about 81,000 on the truck now, and the fluid has been changed 5 times. This is only since we bought it with 24,000 miles on the truck. Every time the fluid has been brown as can be. I'm thinking of a trans temp gauge, cooler, and shift kit as a pkg.,,,,98

Old 08-25-2002, 08:08 PM
98SCREAMER,
I have a couple of recomendations and comments for you.

Recomendations:
1) Install the gauge before you invest in a cooler. Let the temp data dictate how much cooler you need, then go a little larger. Unfortunately, you may need to buy one or two coolers to try before you find the right one. I bought a hayden, then got my hands on a 2000 SD ford cooler.

2) Use a high quality synthetic fluid like (LE. I did notice a temp rise with this fluid, but I think that is because it is transferring more heat from the trans into the fliud (just a theory).

3) Don't bother with the fan. a) The fan is only useful if sitting in traffic or long periods of maneuvering a trailer. b) At >40 mph, the fan is useless and impedes air flow in some cases. c) if you are sitting in traffic for a long period, shif into neutral or park. In gear, at a stop, ALL slip heat is generated by the convertor. W/ my cooler, I even see the temp go down when I shift into neutral or park. c) for the amount of benefeit, the fan is not worth the extra work (i.e. wiring & plumbing & mounting)

Comments:
Your mainentance is abought right on the money. My persnonal schedule: Change fluid 1/yr or every 15k, Change filter every other year. I do have Jiffy lube do a transfer. A little spendy (particularly w/ my own fluid), but easier than the mess I would make at home.

When you inspect the fluid, does it smell burnt? Are there a lot of metal frags or shavings on the magnet or in the pan? This would all indicate major work ahead.

Have you had a (reputable) shop look at it?

Pics of the Hayden cooler (I took out) and the SD coolerSD Cooler.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2002, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the great advice! It does smell a little burned, but mostly I was going by color. I LIVE on the road so I am never at home to pull the tranny pan at all. I always have a complete recirculatory change done every time, to me it doesn't make sense to replace three quarts or so The pan has been dropped once at a shop, and it looked pretty good actually. there was a little sludge in the pan, but nothing alarming like shavings or anything. Of course that was also at about 61k. Thanks again, I'll probably do the gauge first, then take a look at the SD cooler.,,,,98

Old 08-26-2002, 12:44 AM
One more question, well two How much does the SD cooler change the capacity requirement of the trans fluid. Negligable, or half a quart?? Something in between? And have you noticed any difference in the cooling of the coolant or a/c performance? I was thinking it could possibly effect that being higher up in the grill? I'd have to find some way around that, I have two six inch lights in that area,,,,98

Old 08-26-2002, 02:19 PM
98SCREAMER,
As far as increasing fliud capacity, maybe 1-2qt.

When you drop the pan, do you also replace the filter?

My concern is that the filter may not be changed frequently enough. It may become blocked, then causing the trans to run hot & starve for oil circulation & eventually cook the oil.

Your oil changes may be frequent enough to keep the trans in good shape, but you may be building up some varnish on the bands and clutches such that there may be some varnish breaking loose & clogging the filter, as I mentioned above.

AC Performance....I don't notice a major difference. It still takes 2-3 miles to cool the truck (and me) down in 100+ weather after a hot soak.

Tony

Old 08-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey F150Tony, do you know what most would concider too hot for the fluid? I have my temp gauge probe tapped in the line from the trans to the radiator and it is about 8" away from the trans, so, pretty good readings. The other day with a strong headwind the converter unlocked instead of downshifting and I drove that way for a few miles. Temp got up to almost 205 before I turned off the o/d. I'm sure that's pushing it but what it "too" hot?

I don't tow or anything but do spend alot of time with the converter unlocked while in o/d because of hill and wind around here. I think I'm going to change to Amsoil fluid and a pan with a little more capacity just for the added benefit instead of the aftermarket cooler.

When the converter unlocks is the only time I have seen my fluid top 175 and that's in southern cal desert.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a tranny cooler.