Read this before Transgo shift kit install

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 02:43 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Read this before Transgo shift kit install

Well for those of you who have been following this, first I was missing an Orifice valve. Then after receiving one from Transgo, I reassembled my transmission and go for a ride. Now my transmission would not go into first unless I manually shifted to first.

Today I call Transgo and after talking for a few mins with Glen, he says the Orifice valve and the Sol Regulator Valve are packaged together. He says there was a service report that the Orifice valve was migrating into the hollow Sol Regulator Valve during packing or after and getting stuck there. He said this was my problem. The Orifice valve was preventing low pressure from the Solenoid and not holding first. He also said this is so common that Transgo is going to redesign the packing to separate the two valves.

I open the Trans AGAIN and take out the valve body. Well there it is, Orifice valve (VERY SMALL) inside Sol Valve and stuck. Took 5 or 6 good stiff swats to dislodge it.

If this had been told me on Monday when I was missing the Orifice, I would have looked and found the problem........and saved a lot of time and aggravation. Hope this helps someone else from the same aggravation.

My transmission is shifting very fine. I went with a setting between 1 and 2 (used my own drill bit) because I was worried that with the Super Chip, the shifts would be too harsh at part throttle. After all this is my daily commuter and I regularly tow. The drill bit for step 1 is .067 or 1/16 inch. The step two is 3/32 or .093 inch. I went with 5/64 or .078 inch (not in kit).

Well I don’t chirp the tires at WOT but that is only because I have a true locker. Today at WOT when it shifted from 1st to 2nd it actually snapped my neck back and I had to grab for the steering wheel. I think this boost alone would make a 2/10s of a second or better difference to 60. Man what a difference.
Now I can finally .

EDIT 9/5/02 The trans does chirp at WOT with the superchip installed. I love it!!!

Last edited by WLF; 09-05-2002 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to hear you got everything working properly. that was my dream.

-steve

Old 08-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Thumbs up Thanks..

WLF,
I was going to install my transgo kit this weekend. I just looked at the parts bag with the sol regulator valve and sure enough, the orfice valve was jammed inside the sol valve. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm glad that you got things sorted out with your Transgo kit.

Dont feel too bad about going back into your trans again, some of the people here dropped their pan so often that they may as well had a zipper on it. So long as things are the way you want them to be there is no shame in doing so. Shame on Transgo for not updating their kit to address a known problem!

I set mine to the #2 setting for hotrod w/ stock converter and I was disappointed that I could'nt chirp either. I guess that's what happens when you pair a 5,000 Lb. truck with a 281 cubic inch motor.

Regardless, the improvment in shifting was definetly worth the install. Maybe I'll get that chirp after I hook up with the chip.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:42 PM
WLF
Musick76,
I’m glad I saved you the aggravation. Just take your time with the kit and it will go well. I watched every step on the video twice then went and did it. Then back to the video for the next step. Remember there are things on the written instructions that are not on the tape but are important to our truck. Also when you get to the part where it tells you to drill two .093 holes, that is the 3/32 drill bit.
Part of what really pissed me off is that I really was careful. Now it is paying off but if you had asked me yesterday…

Le Pew,
I've been driving all evening and I still have a smile on my face. One thing this kit does is stops that aggravating search when you are in fourth with the torque converter locked. Before with just a little gas it would come out of torque converter lock up then go back in. Tonight, drove all over these back roads (50-65) and it did very little searching. Felt real nice...

Last edited by WLF; 08-09-2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:43 PM
WLF
Well I will be on my way to Florada in the morning. If anyone is on 95 and sees me give me a hoot and wave. You know what my truck looks like and I will be towing a small Sunline 5th wheel trailer.

The trans keeps getting stronger. Dont know its the computer chip is "learning" or what. Today it would pop rubber even at 1/2 throttle or better.
This is up there with the 4:30 gears and superchip for seat of the pants performance change...
Talk at ya in about a week...

Last edited by WLF; 08-09-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Smile

this can be a problem.

Glad to hear TG is altering the package

Quick Reply: Read this before Transgo shift kit install