Delayed upshift after passing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delayed upshift after passing

02 4x4 XLT SC 4.6L 4spd auto - no mods

Passing a little old lady on the highway yesterday - I romp on the gas, trans downshifts to second (spooled up to 4 grand or so). I get around grandma and let off the gas - but it took about 3 seconds after letting off for the trans to upshift; skipped third and went directly to OD. Truck lurched pretty hard on the upshift.

Does the auto trans usually take so long to upshift after getting off the gas at high RPM?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Should have gotten the 5.4L.

Diamond Dan

Old 08-05-2002, 01:55 AM
Sounds like the computer delay. When I slam on the gas there is sometimes a 2 second delay before it will downshift.

Old 08-07-2002, 01:31 AM
There wasa thread about a week or two ago talking about such downshifts and upshifts and the delays and such. I wll try to find it but look through the tranny forum here.
I would say what happened is normal and didn't cause any harm. To put it simple you accelerated, truck downshifted and revved up, computer starts planning when and how to shift back up, you get pass grandma and let off, truck was still planning for that 4K RPM plus shift that happened at a lower RPM. SO it sort of slams into gear (I call it a bang shift).
I could be tottaly off base here, but it's a thought.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:58 PM
The same thing here...

It has happened to me on two occasions, while passing uphill at 70 mph.

Transmission Tech at dealer said everything was ok the with transmission. It hasn't happened again, so not worried now. If it happens, I'll take it back to the dealer, to have it fixed.

R1968

Quick Reply: Delayed upshift after passing