FYI,Trans Fluid change Done

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYFordFreak

You're right I did. It made it much quieter but before it's warmed up, you can still hear it a little. It's been close to a year I think now. It's much better than it was I think.

Old 04-03-2002, 02:59 AM
Did I hear that right? Mobil1 synthetic Mercon for the power steering? I've been thinking of changing my ps fluid.

Mine makes some noise while driving slow and turning the wheel lots.... always has though.

Old 04-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Yep, you heard right. I changed mine over to Mobil synthetic ATF about 4 days ago. Mine was not making any strange noises but it was getting pretty dark looking. Really didn't change anything adding the Mobil other than me knowing it's been changed and I used a quality product.

Old 04-03-2002, 05:29 PM
what mileage did u guys change your ATF at?

Old 04-03-2002, 05:40 PM
I think ideal mileage for atf change is 20-30k miles. It's not expensive if you do it yourself. Good insurance I guess. I actually didn't do the first one till 50k miles and it was a lot darker in colour than the new stuff.

KYFordFreak: I haven't even looked at my PS pump or hoses yet. What's the best way to drain it. Is there a low point in the system ideal for draining? The Mobil1 atf you used is that the Mercon/MerconV compatible stuff that has been argued about for the 4R70W?
I picked up that 3" in/out #17220 Dynomax Welded UltraFlo from Raoul_D the other day. Didn't meet him though, talked to his father. It has a few rust patches but in good shape. Going to wire brush it clean and prob aluminum paint it. I think I'll go with a flowmaster 3" universal tailpipe. Those pieces are quite a bit larger than the stock muffler/pipe in flow area. What are you running on yours?

Last edited by p_ferlow; 04-03-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Not sure on mine about the mileage. I have had my truck for about 48000 miles and I haven't done it yet, really do need to. The truck itself has around 135500 on it but I am not for sure when or if they changed the tranny fluid. I bought it with 86,600 miles and there was 1200 worth service they did to it before they put it on the lot. That still doesn't mean they changed the tranny fluid.

I switched to the Mobil mercon in the power steering fluid about 3 days ago. Actually all I did was take a turkey baster and siphoned all of it out of the reservoir. I got almost every drop out of the tank by sticking the baster down into the hole for the ps hose. It took about 1/2 a quart (1 pint) to refill it. I plan to do it again later and use the other half.

It seems that the first thing everyone does is a exhaust. I am always backwards so I have yet to get one. I planned on getting one real soon. I just need to study of what I might want. Originally I was thinking of 2 1/4 dual pipes from a modifeid y-pipe back into a x-pipe then to some kind of DI/DO muffler then to 3-3.5X18 tips out the cornors. According to Flatsman he lost 17hp in a setup like this. On the other hand I think he used 2 1/2 pipe and a Magnaflow muffler. I think with the 2 1/4 pipe and a more restrictive muffler I would be all right. Another hold back factor on this etup would be the cost. I may try just running duals with some mufflers and tips and og from there. Speaking for myself I need all the low end torque I can get, yet want the look of duals and a good sounding system. I could go on and on but I won't.

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 04-03-2002 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:37 PM
I think if you want to go duals out each corner it's the flowmaster "thunder II" or whatever it's called. A flowmaster y-pipe is a good idea definitely. I think an X-pipe somewhere in the system would be a complete waste of money though. I say that only because the distance from the cats to the y-pipe is different on either side so the exhaust pulses won't really scavenge each other like in an equal-length header or in a Mustang with true duals. If it was me and I had the cash and wanted dual out back then I would use the y-pipe, and a Delta 50 series 3" in, dual 2 1/4 out muffler. Not sure if they make that size. Hopefully that ultraflo muffler I picked up won't be too loud.

In any case I won't finish my exhaust till prob end of June. Have to sneak in new parts here and there so the wife don't notice! But if you haven't done anything by then I'll send you an mp3 of before/after.

While I'm not really experienced or biased to any one particular brand, check out the www.flowmastermufflers.com website, they have lots of sound clips and installation videos.

Old 04-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Nothing against Flowmaster, they do sound good most of the time but they seem way to popular and sometimes to hyped-up. So your saying to use the Flowmaster Y, huh. You don't think that the 3in from the y to the muffler would be to large? I would think if you can keep your pipe about the same diameter all the way through you would be better off. I was thinking of cutting the factory y off, and welding two 2 1/4 pipes all the way back for true duals. You are probably right about the x-pipe thing, just a big waste of money, it would add at least another 130 to the price. I am thinking about just getting the 2 1/4 pipe put on, a V-force muffler recommended by a local shop, and then two 3 or 3.5 tips at each cornor. I got my tax money back so I am going to try something within the next month. I might try to get a clip recorded, if I can, what's a good site I could upload it to for internet use?

PS, maybe we should start a new discussin in the exhaust section vs talkin mufflers in the tranny section.

Old 04-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Talking

I'll start a new thread!

Old 04-07-2002, 12:43 AM
Lightbulb YO FERLOW!

Whats the deal with the airbox mod.? i need details! does it REALLY help? or just look cool? how do you clear your engine! details details!!! lol...

Quick Reply: FYI,Trans Fluid change Done