Is This Tranny Shudder ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is This Tranny Shudder ??

Guys, I need to know if my problem could be the dreaded "TRANNY SHUDDER" that I've been reading so much about Now, here's my story. after installing the chip, i went for a run. At approx 100mph I started feeling, and hearing a deep rumble in the cab. Well at approx 125mph (a friend pacing me) I backed up off of it. I thought it was wheel balancing, or pinion angle; nether was it.
I'm pushing a 2000 Harley with the 4R70W tranny (was hoping for a 4R100). I'm running a superchip, K&N FIPK, 2 in rear drop, and the mangacharger /SC.
Now here's the kicker. I decided to have my beast Dynoed. The first run, no problems. However after the second run we heard fluid dripping. Looked around, and you guessed it, TRANS FLUID When we finally got over the shock ! we noticed the the rear trans/driveshaft housing was completely ripped all the way around (see pics)... Has anyone ever experienced this before and if so what was the fix I don't want this to happen again.
By the way, the part was only $85.00 and it took us about an hour to replace it.

Old 01-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
No, that isn't transmission shudder.

The rumble is from exceeding the critical speed for the driveshaft. You're lucky that the broken extension housing is all you have. Exceeding the critical speed can cause things to fail as you have seen, but can also the driveshaft to break. That wouldn't be fun at 125 MPH.

There is a reason there are speed limiters in the PCMs. Defeat them at your own risk.

Mark

Old 01-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Arrow Mark K

Thanks for the info Mark. But do you think a driveshaft balancing would resolve the issue It's hard to believe that these trucks can't go over 100mph without vibrating apart....

Old 01-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
No, balancing won't help. Making the driveshaft stiffer or shorter will help.

A good driveshaft shop should be able to make a driveshaft that can run that fast.

Mark

Old 01-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Not Warranty

I doubt Ford will warranty b/c the first thing any ford tech will do is look for evidence of a chip.

These things are not built to exceed certain speeds. I have a Crown Vic and it's limited to 108 MPH from the factory for that very reason. Only real diff between my vic and the Police Interceptor is the higher speed limiter (129mph), heads, and the drive shaft.

Go to a shop and get a Nascar shaft and you can run up to 220mph. It'll set you back $600, but you'll be safe.

You're lucky to still have all your body parts.

Quick Reply: Is This Tranny Shudder ??