Explorer tranny..what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer tranny..what is wrong?

Hey guys....

In addition to my '01 f150 i have a '99 explorer on lease. It has 25000 miles on it. I put it in the shop yesterday for a transmission problem. it is the 5-speed auto.

When it shifts between 2-3rd gear, in my opinion, the tranny slips. If the shift is to occur say at 3000rpm, the tranny seems to shift into neutral for 1 second, rpms jump 1000-1500 rpms then the shift completes. There is no banging.

This has not started happening until tuesday. The service writer called today and said they ran a bunch of diags and made calls to ford. Ford states that this is normal.

This happens in no other gears and the fulid is in range and normal smell and color.

I am going to pick it up today, but i am not happy with it.

2 ?'s

1. Since everyone here seems pretty kean on tranny's, do you have any ideas?

2. I know this is an f150 board, so if you are going to flame me, at least give me a link to find the info elsewhere, the places I have looked so far have been worthless regarding problems, but a wealth of info on off-roading.

Thanks!

-C

Old 12-21-2001, 07:53 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Crick,

My wife's Explorer Didn't do that. It had the 4.0 OHC V6 with the 5 speed automatic. Take it to an independant tranny shop for theri opinion. Go back to the Dealer and tell them what they said.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-22-2001, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMC,

Well here is the updated story. The Tech could not reproduce the shifting problem that the truck had for 2 days. After pickup from the dealer all is fine (go figure!) the truck is shifting normal.

After doing some "diagnostics" of my own on my way home I found this symptom. I do not know if it is related to the previous post or not.

If I keep the truck in 1st gear via the gear selection and drive to 35 and let of the gas, I do not experience engine breaking at all. The rev's drop to idle even though I am going 30-35mph. I get back on the gas and the rev's rise until they meet up to where they will be accelerating the truck and the truck accelerates. No banging, no noise at all. Does your explorer do that?

I really don't want to spend the $$ on diagnosing a tranny on a lease vechicle. Especially if it is an intermittent problem. I will wait until it becomes more pronounced, then have the tech come along for a ride.

Thanks for the help!

-Crick

Old 12-22-2001, 03:00 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Crick,

Yes it did that. Most annoying thing ever.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Crick
If I keep the truck in 1st gear via the gear selection and drive to 35 and let of the gas, I do not experience engine breaking at all. The rev's drop to idle even though I am going 30-35mph. I get back on the gas and the rev's rise until they meet up to where they will be accelerating the truck and the truck accelerates. No banging, no noise at all. Does your explorer do that?
That's a common problem, but I don't think it is related to the flare you are seeing on the 2-3 shift.

There is an internal gasket that has failed. There is a Ford TSB on this, but I don't have the number. I have read it, and you have the exact symptoms, no engine braking.

Mark

Quick Reply: Explorer tranny..what is wrong?