E4OD maintanance @ 50K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD maintanance @ 50K miles.

I do not remember any sheduled maintanance for the E4OD tranny like fluid changes and such but I could be wrong, please fill me in if I am missing something to keep my tranny in good shape.

-Kelly

Old 12-16-2001, 03:11 PM
I'm sure it's like with the newer 4R100 in that you should service it at 30000 miles.

Old 12-16-2001, 07:44 PM
My owner's manual says that the E4OD (unlike the 4R100) has no scheduled maintenance.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would still reccomend service for an E4OD at 30,000, the 4R100 is just a newer name for the E4OD, tehre aren't many big differences between the two. Change the fluid and filter, at least.

G

Old 12-17-2001, 03:42 PM
That's right. Absolutely no scheduled maintanance for E4OD's, ever! What Crap! And Ford really does say this ! Unbelieveable.

The out-right-stupidity of this "offical" statement, is why Ford replaces E4OD's at the drop of a hat, rather than fixing them (unless you have a crooked dealer who's just trying to screw you $$$), and the fact that they fail so easily and often (Ford's Weakest Link).

I have a '98 F-250LD, last of the E4OD's. But then the 4R100's are just rebadged E4OD's (had to get rid of that reputation somehow) with a few mod's and PowerTake off, etc. On the bright side, these trannies have been improved year after year, month after month. So the last few years are not so bad after all.

Change the fluid every 15,000 miles, perferably not a flush, which doesn't drain the torque converter, but a real drop the pan, drain the converter, and use a new gasket, much more costly fluid replacement change. If this is too much, try (as I do) a "flush" every other 15k mi, and a real drop the pan change at 30k, 60k, etc.

My first change was at 8k. But alas, too late for the glazing of the clutch plate when I took my camper over the Sierra's and back (should have installed the SuperChip the day I drove it off the lot :-) instead of after the glazing). Since then I do this every 15k, with the above alternate 15k/30k flush/drop pan schedule.

So now I have to live with more than the normal slippage (on freeway on ramps, etc.) when I accelerate hard. Unless I want to rebuild it and install a heavy duty torque converter.

Also, an added note, train your thumb to push that OverDrive button (turning OD off) on the automatic shifter, EVERY TIME you get in the truck. And engage it only when you're at Hwy speeds - don't forget to turn it back off when you get "off hwy" and onto city streets again. Otherwise the constant shifting (hunting) for gears (OD to 3rd back to OD, etc.) will kill this tranny - El Pronto!

Quick Reply: E4OD maintanance @ 50K miles.