Have you done this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Have you done this?

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Transgo Shift kit then after driving a while, gone back in and installed a Line Mod Valve such as the Sonnex or Diablo?

In my case, I have a Superchip, just installed the Transgo and have pulled the VB 3 times now drilling out the seperator plate to where I'm now at .140 for 1-2, almost .110 for 2-3 and loose .94 for 3-4. The 1-2 shift is much better but it's still not as "crisp" as the 2-3 shift. 2-3 is pretty nice and I would have hoped that all of the shifts would be like it.

I'm afraid that now, if I put the Sonnex in it would be too much. Has anyone done it and what did it do for you? What kind of difference over just a kit and chip if you have both?

I also wonder if the lack of "as crisp" might have something to do with the springs. ??? I'm curious.

I hate to drill the 1-2 out anymore but I'll probably call Transgo to see how common it is to not get the desired result from what I've done so far. I tried to call the other day, but according to Sales, they all go to lunch at the same time and let the phone ring and ring while they are out. Thought that was odd. I do know that it's not uncommon to drill them out past, or way past the recommended ranges, but how far do most people have to go? And how far is too far?

Last edited by FamilyRide; 12-16-2001 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... F/R : I have a TRANSGO shift kit set on the highest setting, plus the SONNAX valves and my SUPERCHIP's shift firmness is cranked WAY up over the stock setting for the chip. I also have a custom machined valve body. I still find that the 1-2 upshift was harder with just the BAUMANN ENGINEERING kit. The problem with the B/E kit is that if you go with their highest settings, you will break the intermediate shaft eventually. The TRANSGO shift kit has a built in bypass valve that will only allow so much pressure to build up and then it will automatically dump it. The only thing I can suggest to you is to try re-adjusting the 1-2 accumilator, with washers or different springs. Don't drill more holes.

Old 12-16-2001, 08:38 PM
Thanks Neal. Ya, I keep picturing the #2 valve just not "snapping" like it should. You replace the 1 spring with 4 but I was concerned about the smallest one. When "stacking" the springs, the smallest one (forth) just doesn't slide inside the 3rd like the rest do. It's a bit tight. I'm wondering if the 4 "stacked" springs although progressively stffer and larger, are binding a little and not letting it work as freely as it should. I'm going to call Transgo and get their opinion. I don't necessarily want it "firmer", just quicker like the 2-3 shift is.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go ahead and add the Sonnax valve, it shouldn't do any harm, if you don't like it, pull it back out. If you just want to improve the 1-2, you can tune the 1-2 accumulator by adding shims to the boost plug in the 1-2 accumulator bore, Sonnax maks a part to do that also. I'm not sure it'son there web site, but you may call them and ask. Aother alternative would be to add a spring inside the 394 spring in the 1-2 accumualtor bore.

G

Old 12-17-2001, 09:28 PM
Thanks Greg.

I talked to Transgo today. I learned something! ONce you get to about .120 you've gone as far as it will do any good in the seperator plate. He suggested opening up another 1-2 hole where a restriction is. He cautioned not to do much since that WILL allow more flow where drilling the calibration hole was already letting as moch flow as was there. Probably not making much sense coming from a non-tranny guy. It kind of makes sense. It's like exhaust. You can have a 3" exhaust and you can adjust the flow with the tailpipe. Start at 2", then 2 1/2" then 3" which is as far as will do anygood. From there you have to go "upstream" to open it up. The level 3 or "Diesel" setting at .110-.116 for 1-2 shift is about maxing it out. .120 is maxed since the regualtor allows a max of .120 flow. Sort of.

Anyway, I'm letting it ride for a week to see what it's like. I'm finding that the 1-2 is a little inconsistant. Sometimes it's pretty crisp and others it's not. WOT isn't all that crisp but I do feel a "surge". But 2-3 is a more crisp and gives me a "bump" in the butt when it hits. It still seems that if I have that much fluid flow, it should be just a crisp as the others. That's where what you said Greg, about shimming the #2 bore makes sense, adding more tension to that set of springs.

Transgo also asked me to disassemble that 1-2 valve assy to make sure I didn't get anything in there. That also makes sense. He said even a small peice of lint could keep the regulator from free movement disallowing the full flow.

I just hate to keep yanking it apart, over and over. It's just odd that hard and WOT aren't kicking my butt while softer throttle usually feels more crisp. And it's only 1-2. We'll see. I'll go for a week and see.