look what I found in my tranny????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look what I found in my tranny????

I just did a fluid and filter change in my auto tranny today and look what I found laying in the tranny pan. WHAT THE HECK IS IT??? It sure looks like it does something but the truck seems ok. HELP!!!Someone must know what this this and where it goes. I can't find anyplace that it could have come from or where it is supposed to go. HELP!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 01:14 PM
BTW the penny is just there as a referance it did not come out of the tranny

Old 12-11-2001, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to worry (I think)

If this is what I think it is, the issue has come up many times on this board. Although I have never seen one, it probably is a production plug that Ford puts in the tranny prior to production. During vehicle assembly, it is knocked out and just lies in the bottom of the oil pan until one of us stumbles across it and panics. Someone will undoubtedly reply here as to specifically what function it serves, but if this is what it is, it's all normal and just remove it and throw it away.

Old 12-11-2001, 01:39 PM
I think what you found is the dipstick hole plug.

Old 12-11-2001, 01:44 PM
I called a friend of mine and thats what he said too. But I wanted a second opinion. Thanks guys I feel alot better now I have never seen anything like that before I thought I was going nuts. I felt kinda like the guy that doesn't want to go to the doctor cause he might find out something is wrong. I was saying that's the last time I change my tranny fluid. Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2001, 02:20 PM
Could it be the infamous muffler bearing plug!
No really, you got me.

Old 12-11-2001, 04:16 PM
Hey there guys, ShowYa here at the local Kansas City Assembly plant where the 2002 SuperCrew is built, I can put your minds at ease....... just read on.............

What you have found in the bottom of the pan is merely a pre/post production item. This plug notice it has an O-ring, is installed at the tranny assembly plant once this tranmission has been built, inspected, and filled with fluid. Now keep in mind we build around 56 to 58 trucks an hour and the operator merely takes your new filler tube and applies an O-ring to this and then just pops or inserts this in the opening which is plugged with the object pictured in this post. I have personally done this job and at first I said the same thing......

I can assure you that either this will never cause you a problem or in some cases it will never be found if they removed it prior to installation of the filler tube, I know guys who have never found it and chances are it was chewed up thru the tranmission which will cause no problem at all.

These are shipped from the vendor filled with fluid, however we all know that from time to time that some gets spilled and if you order a 4 wheel drive or the towing package then you know you also get the transmission cooler which requires additional fluid as well.

There ya go, ShowYa in Kansas City and just kicks and grins, the Lincoln Blackwood is no longer a production unit, only limited edition!

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Thanks showya,

Old 12-11-2001, 04:34 PM
You are very welcome and Happy Holidays to everyone on F150online.com. Just glad I could clear this issue up with you and everyone else.

ShowYa in Kansas City, and the 2002 Harley Davidson SVT is just around the corner, keep ya all posted on production status.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:43 PM
Who has the part number for that plug?
How much are they?
Anyone make a billet plug? with a lightning logo?

Old 12-12-2001, 10:09 AM
Don't feel embarrassed. When I installed my TransGo Shift Kit I found that thing and forgot that I had already read about it. When I went to put things back together I called TransGo Tech Line to ask what it was. The laugh was on me of course.

Old 12-12-2001, 11:41 AM
Had one in my 93 E4OD also.

Old 12-13-2001, 12:58 AM
I started to post this afternoon that I would have one too. I installed my Transgo and pan with plug, filter etc. but guess what, I didn't get a plug! Actually the bottom of the pan really didn't have much gunk at all either.

Old 12-15-2001, 11:06 PM
As posted above , it is only a plug used on the assembly line.

I have seen the plug in use for decades. It can cause some alarm to the DIY person or a newbie trans person.

I've had people call or show up at my various transmission shops with the plug in hand worried to death about it.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Trans stuff scares the bejesus out of me I don't mind anything else on a vehicle wiring , engine, brakes body whatever but when comes to messing around with the trans I get shivers down my spine I will do a fluid change and have put in a couple of shift kits but that is the end of the road for me.

Quick Reply: look what I found in my tranny????