Questions on 4R70W Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on 4R70W Shift Kit

O.K., I've browsed the board here fore quite some time, and have come to the conclusion that I am going to order a TransGo kit for my '00 F-150 5.4 4R70W.

However, I wanted to ask people's opinion as to anything else that should be ordered at the same time as the kit (e.g. drain plug to alleviate future messes, and the Sonnex valve seems to be popular with the 4R100 guys but what about the 4R70W?).

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Old 12-17-2001, 01:50 PM
The TransGo shift kit for my 4R70W is in today. I've watched the video, which was an excellent addition to the instructions. However, I have a couple of things to share:

1. The paper instructions for the 4R70W are not very clear. I've read on this board that the instructions for the 4R100 inform you what each plate hole enlargement is going to do to the shift characterisitcs. For the 4R70W, there's nothing.

2. I've read FamilyRide's posts on his 4R100 install, which seemed pretty detailed and allowed for the flexibility of "tuning" each shift. However, the kit for the 4R70W only gives THREE "settings": police/taxis/trucks, Hot Rod wth original converter, and with smaller diameter high stall converter.

I'm looking for something that cleans up this slushbox, with the ability to really slam the gear at WOT and high engine speeds. Could anyone with the TransGo 4R70W kit install experience shed some wisdom?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2001, 07:23 PM
VENOM 99,

I installed the TransGo! Performance kit in my Supercrew and love it! I have the same transmission and wondered what setting I should go with too. As you can see by my signature that I also have a Superchip. I spoke to Mike Troyer about running both mods on my truck - I was concerned that the shifting would be too hard for the transmission. He said that as long I as I did the first of three settings, everything should be fine. Everything is fine so far! If your are trying to get the best of both mods, start with the lowest setting first, you can always drill more out later; funny thing is it's more difficult to put back in what you took out.!

The WOT really bangs hard enough - a real neck snapper! It's like manual shifting without the clutch. People take notice, the truck jerks forward as if you are manually shifting through the gears. FUN in capital letters!

Funny thing too, the WOT shifts are so hard that the belt slips. It actually sounds like the tires screech - but they're not. I tried three different kinds of belt dressing - nothing worked.

Well, good luck with the TransGo! Let me know how it performs for you.

Last edited by BruceScrew; 12-17-2001 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:35 PM
Venom,

The kit for the 4R100 also has 3 settings but they call it "V6", "V8/V10", and "Diesel". Each one gives either an exact size or a range to drill two.

It's funny, I told Mike T. that the 4R100 appeared to be a "general" kit for both tranny's. Mike T., I think I mis-read the box!

What BruceScrew describes is a lot different that what I'm experiancing and sounds more like what should happen. You might want to head his advise and start out with the first setting. Once you do it once, dropping the pan and doing it again isn't that big of a deal. I don't know if you can get a panm with a plug, but it's worth it! I paid way too much for it but it was conveiniance. I paid Ford list about $43 when www.oemfordparts.com (Southwest Ford in Weatherford here in North Texas) would sell it for $30.

Old 12-17-2001, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys!

I am not planning to run a Superchip anywhere in the future (Sorry Mike, although I like the feature of taking out the spark retard during shifts). Do you think it would be wise to step up to the level 2 since I will be running off the stock ECU?

The WOT shifts you describe having me anxious to get it installed!

Old 12-18-2001, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed everything that was in the TransGo Shift Kit (except the video, would not fit in the pan). I also have the Superchips. I talked to Mike and he told me both may be too harsh on shifting. I said let it happen. I knew a Chiropractor and could get my neck straightened out. So far, after about 30,000 miles the trans is still going strong.

Old 12-18-2001, 11:51 AM
How should I keep the belt from slipping, eat more Holiday cookies? Any ideas?

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2001, 12:55 PM
Does a shift kit lower your 1/4 mile times?

T

Old 12-18-2001, 05:19 PM
Does a shift kit lower your 1/4 mile times?

Yup.....

Old 12-19-2001, 01:00 AM
Approximately how much time slashing?

TC

Old 12-19-2001, 12:00 PM
No experience with it on a truck, But to be safe, don't expect more than a tenth shaved off from it.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:47 AM
O.K., I have had the TransGo kit installed since New Year's, but I wanted to give it a few weeks before I posted my thoughts.

1. I installed the kit on Level 2 -- factory Hot Rod w/ stock converter.

2. The shifts are MUCH improved. This is the way it should have been calibrated from the factory. Under normal driving, the shifts are short and crisp, but not harsh.

3. Under WOT, the 1-2 shift is good -- almost neck snapping. However, the 2-3 shift at WOT is less than desireable. I don't know if it's due to the spark retard during the shift event, but it feels as if there are 2 separate things happening during 2-3. First the engine speed drops quickly to match the 3rd gear trans speed, and then the shift happens a few tenths of a second after to give the "snap". This is only at WOT, and not any other conditions. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Any comments?

Old 01-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Unhappy TransGo shift kit wont shift 2 -3 below 30 degrees

Has anyone had problems with the Transgo kit below 30 degrees outside. Mine works great above 30, once the temperature drops here in Minnesota I have problems. At 30 degrees 1 -2 shift is fine, when it heads for 2 -3 it hesitates as if in between gears, if you let up it will shift up but may jump back out when you give it throttle again. It will usually only do this once when the outside termperature is around 30 degrees, gets worse as the temperature goes down. between 0 and 10 degrees I have to drive it with the shifter in 2nd for a while to warm it up. For some reason there is a vescosity that it does not like.

I used all stock setting except I choose the Hot Rod with STock converter option.

Anyone else had any problems like this?

Old 01-17-2002, 08:13 PM
David,

I have the EXACT same issue, except mine has the 2-3 "hestitation" at temps less than 20 degrees. It has been quite mild here in Detroit for the last 3 weeks since I had the kit installed, so the problem has only happened a few times in the early morning on my way to work. I just give the throttle a little bump, and it sails into 3rd with no problem. It's annoying, though...

Old 01-17-2002, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, Venom, do either of you have a trans cooler on your trucks??

Quick Reply: Questions on 4R70W Shift Kit