Changed my T-Fluid/Did I miss something?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my T-Fluid/Did I miss something?

Hello all...This board is great and saved me alot o' time in lining up the torque drain plug with a breaker bar. I drained the converter, removed the pan, and changed the filter. I also followed the advice about adding 8 quarts and starting the truck up to fill the converter. The manuals say the truck is to take 13.9 quarts. I only got 12 in and it is about midway on the cold reading on the dipstick. Did I not drain something? Could it be there is some in the cooler or left in the trans? I have a 2000 Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4 and the 70RW transmission. Thanks again

Old 11-25-2001, 08:17 PM
I'm about to do mine but that sounds about right. I've read that there will be some still left in the clutch packs. Someone posted that they let theirs drain overnight and it seemed to get just about all of it. You probably got about all you could with letting it sit; if that really will get it.

Old 11-25-2001, 08:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The last part of the fluid is stuck in clutches, servos, accumulators, valve body passeges, etc. You'll never get that last quart or so out no matter how long it sits.

Mark

Old 11-27-2001, 09:48 AM
Tim,

Mark is correct. We have two 1999 F150 4.6 V8s in the family and two different dealers flushed and drained the whole system.

We both were charged for 12 quarts AT fluid. You did as well as the dealers did. Don't sweat it!

Old 11-27-2001, 10:00 AM
Cold?

I'm not sure what you mean about midway on the cold reading on the dipstick. Did you check the fluid when hot and running in park?

I just changed mine this weekend, and I could only get 11 quarts in after draining the torque convertor. I only let the torque convertor drain for about 10 minutes, which may of not been enough. There might of been about another quart or so in the convertor.

I hope you used Mercon V fluid...........Speaking of, has anyone heard of an additive for Mercon/Dextron III that will convert it to Mercon V? Shopping for my trans fluid this weekend I found it, $17.00 CAN for 10 oz. I used it, because it worked out cheaper after buying the Mercon over Mercon V. I was a little leary about it at first, but it is made by ATP which is a well know tranny company. And the guy at the auto parts place told me he was at a meeting the day before about this additive and it is apparently a great product. He could of been just pulling my leg??

Old 11-27-2001, 11:14 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Cold?

Originally posted by jleinweber

I hope you used Mercon V fluid...........Speaking of, has anyone heard of an additive for Mercon/Dextron III that will convert it to Mercon V? Shopping for my trans fluid this weekend I found it, $17.00 CAN for 10 oz. I used it, because it worked out cheaper after buying the Mercon over Mercon V. I was a little leary about it at first, but it is made by ATP which is a well know tranny company. And the guy at the auto parts place told me he was at a meeting the day before about this additive and it is apparently a great product. He could of been just pulling my leg
In my opinion there is no way to change MERCON to MERCON V. They are different fluids. The only way to get MERCON V is to start with MERCON V.

Mark

Old 11-27-2001, 12:21 PM
Mark,

I felt the same way. But a $17.00 bottle that does nothing? It states on the bottle that it upgrades Mercon to Mercon V to meet or exceed vehicle manufacturers requirements.

I don't want to feel like a sucker........

Quick Reply: Changed my T-Fluid/Did I miss something?