Trans Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Upgrade

I am new member, but for the last few months I have read many great ideas from everyone on ways they have gotten more power out of their F-150's. I have a 2001 HD with 4K miles and just installed the Factory-Tech valve assembly, replace the tranny fluid with Amsoil traany fluid and installed a K&N Gen II intake system. I had a superchip installed by Ford when I purchased the truck in August.

All I can say is "WOW". Even at part throttle I chirp the tires going from 1-2 and 2-3. At WOT the shift-jerk and sound is violently awesome! Even when I am not trying to spin the tires they still spin a little when shifting. Downing shifting is very smooth and 3rd-OD is also very smooth. Even my transmission guy was surprised. Thanks Factory-Tech member!

I find myself starting off rather slow and building up my speed so I don't have to buy those 20" Goodyears too soon.

Is what I am experiencing normal?

Old 11-21-2001, 07:43 PM
No that's not normal, but isn't that the point.

A couple things caught my eye in your post, the "Dealer" installed the Superchip? Cool!

So, do you have the 4R100 in your's? I didn't think they came with it but if you've installed his valve body I guess you do. Cool again!

Old 11-21-2001, 08:02 PM
Question

Just curious. Did you have the Superchip's shift characteristics detuned for the "FT" valve body? Alot of people claim that you have to detune the chip's shift points after installing the valve body/shift kit or problems can occur. But there's others who claim otherwise.

I recently installed the valve body and along with the chip and got the same positive results as yours. But at the moment, I had to take out the valve body due to other tranny problems.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Jupiterak...I was also wondering if I needed to re-tuning my chip. There is a performance shop near me that specializes in aftermarket services and has a dyno. Sometime before XMAS I want to dyno the truck and ask about a supercharger installation after the first of the year. I'll find out if my chip needs re-tuned then. You removed your valve....Do you think the valve had anything to do with your tranny problems?

My tranny friend said changing to the Amsoil tranny fluid also helped with the solid shifting performance. I am not sure from what others have posted.

FamilyRide....Yes, My 2001 5.4L Harley D came with a 4R100 tranny. Code E. I found out about the dealer installed superchip option when I was signing the finance papers. It was a few hundred which I handled out of pocket. When I test drove the truck I was pleased, but when I pick the truck up after the chip was installed I was amazed!

Old 11-22-2001, 06:19 PM
Well there's a few "L" owners recommend detuning the chip's shifts when adding a shift kit. Honestly, I like the two combination but alittle worried about any long term damage.
It wasn't the valve body at all causing problems. It was one of the speed sensors. It was a coincedence the tranny started to act funny right after doing the "FT" valve body. But Greg was a major help and we finally solved the problem.

Old 11-22-2001, 09:14 PM
What I understand is that the primary concern is the increased line pressure. Many people like and beleive in both as a good combo, and others feel that you don't and shouldn't be increasing line pressure if you've installed mechanical shift improvments line a kit or the FT valve body. Somthing to do with possibly reducing lubrication of something, somewhere.

It would be good to hear more opinions.

Old 11-23-2001, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is that using software to raise line pressure puts more load on the pump and it's possible that if you have another problem that causes you to have lower line pressure from the pump that the software will maintain line pressure at the accumulator at the expense of the rear lube circuit, I'm not saying that it will happen, just that I think it can. A lot of people disagree with me on this, it's just a concern I would have. An accumulator based kit is downstream of the pump so it doesn't overwork the pump and if your internal pump pressure lowers you'll get slushy shifts but you'll still maintain pressure to the lube circuit. My theory is that if you have bad shifts, you know something is wrong and you get it fixed before the tranny grenades, if you lose the lube circuit, you're first symptom of the low pressure condition would be when the output shaft welds itself to the case bushings and your tranny is toast at that point.

G

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2001, 05:48 PM
Greg,

In the spirit of this discusion, whether a shift kit or the FT valve body is installed, what about the line mod valve? If I understand correctly, that basicly controls the fluid flow (maybe line *modulator* valve). Would that be recomended with the shift kit or FT valve body as well or is that overkill or maybe even something not related?

Jim

Old 11-24-2001, 09:55 PM
The PSP/FT shift kit has a line mod valve in it, I do a few other things also.

G

Old 11-25-2001, 02:33 PM
Factory_Tech- Again, thanks for all the help diagnosing my truck. Sorry for the long delay, but I got the extra valve body mailed back to you. You should get it any day now. Thanks

Old 11-26-2001, 12:34 AM
Not a problem, just glad you got it fixed and glad I could help.

G

Old 11-27-2001, 10:17 PM
Factory_Tech,
This may have been covered in another topic but will this mod void my warranty?

Old 11-28-2001, 02:30 AM
Depends on your dealer, but the fact is it'd be awlful hard for anyone to know it was done with what amounts to an engineering study, not detectable on the PCM and not really something you can see even if you take the tranny apart. And honestly, it doesn't do anything that would cause any damage.

G

Quick Reply: Trans Upgrade