Power shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power shifting

How do you power shift? I've always wanted to try it but i have been afraid of messing up my tranny. What rpm do you shift at? Do you keep your foot to the floor or let off the gas? Do you slam it into gear or pause a second in nuetral? And yes i realize that power shifting is bad for the tranny and should only be used in extreme situations, like when your overinflated ego is at stake at a stoplight at 3 am.

Old 11-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Drop the right foot, while the left foot clutches and you bang the gears as fast as you can. You never let off of the accel., some do it without using the clutch. I used to do it with my old Mustang, and I replaced the tranny 3 times before I sold/gave it to a friend.

I would not recommend it and the last thing you want to do is miss a gear... ewwww that can be very bad indeed.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:16 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Speed shifting the Mazda POS is the best way to destroy it. Even if you succeed in getting it into 2nd the wear on the tranny is too much. It has been my experience that the syncros cannot act fast enough and it grinds. Because of the long shifter you are excerting enormas loads on the internal shift mechanism.
This will lead to failure. 2nd to 3rd is almost impossible.

Speed shifting is the act of keeping the Gas pedal to the floor while changing gears. Using the clutch helps in getting it out of the gear you are in prior to the shift. If you use the clutch you might as well keep your foot on it while you are preforming the actual gear change. Just a note; if you try it while not using the clutch be prepared to walk home. Practice with the engine off.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-16-2001, 11:04 PM
Must be different schools!

Power shifting as I learned it, is shifting without the clutch or without lifting the gas. Not something I would do without a tranny that is up to the task, and a shorter throw, strong shifter.

I've only had one car strong enough to be confident to power shift. There's a lot to be said for a no lift power shift that occurs at around 7000 revs.

Speed shifting can be done in most vehicles. Many times you can just give the clutch a "half stab". Make sure you get used to it at normal revs first.

Quick Reply: Power shifting