2016 F150 5.0 6 Speed whine after pan drop and filter.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 F150 5.0 6 Speed whine after pan drop and filter.

I took my truck in with no transmission problem at all. I had them drop the pan and replace the filter with new ATF. I picked it up it drives fine no slipping goes through all the gears fine. The problem happen when I'm going 30 to 50 and step on the brake and immediately back on the gas pedal and the transmission would whine. It sound like low powers powersteering fluid but deeper tone. I took it back to the shop they check the fluid said it perfect level. They kept it overnight and test it in the morning they said likely air pocket in the atf and that it when away when they test it in this morning. I picked it up again and immediately it did it again. I took the mechanic for a ride even.. any idea what could cause this? Truck have 91k mileage on it

Old 06-25-2021, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Did you fill it with the correct fluid?

Old 06-25-2021, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Did you fill it with the correct fluid?

Exactly same problem in this video.. I got an update from the shop. They think that since we changed the fluid and filter and the truck being 91k it most likely changed the pressure and the adaptive shifting need to be clear and have to relearn. I hope they got the right fluid. Everyone in the shop basically saying the same thing the guy who's working on my truck all he does is transmission and he's very familiar with the F-150. They also said there's a tsb on this as well. I hope they're right. Truck drive good it actually shifted smoother, it just this whatever it is.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:33 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'm no trans expert but I'd be worried that they didn't get the filter installed correctly if it installs like the 4R70.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:13 PM
I did ask him about the o ring and did he make sure it came out with the old filter. he said it did and that he made sure the filter went in.. weird but we'll see tomorrow

Old 06-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Ok pcm flash /reprogram did not work. Turns out the term for this problem is call sqwuak and the solution is this. Kinda make sense I guess since I did changed the fluid it probably got rid of whatever was in there. I inject 10 per tsb and drove 20 miles it slowly worked through the transmission by the time I got back I couldn't replicate the sound anymore.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 2016 F150 5.0 6 Speed whine after pan drop and filter.