Reverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse issue

Hello,
I have an 02 F150 4.6 with an intermittent problem engaging reverse. More often when it is warmed up, it occasionally does not engage reverse. I cycle through the gears (all forward gears work fine) and back into reverse and eventually it will kick in. The issue has been getting progressively worse and taking longer for me to get it to kick in. Once in reverse it works fine. The transmission fluid looks and smells good. I have not done any work on it yet. Any suggestions on what would cause this? I thought a solenoid that’s sticking but I called a shop and they said they don’t think so. They want $70 to diagnose it. 🙄
Thank you!

Old 02-22-2021, 06:19 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check your fluid level (PROPERLY!!!) first, otherwise, spend the $70.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
There is NOTHING electronic that can cause this. I am fairly certain you have a damaged seal. If I'm right this is going to continue to get worse until you don't have reverse at all.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There is NOTHING electronic that can cause this. I am fairly certain you have a damaged seal. If I'm right this is going to continue to get worse until you don't have reverse at all.
this sounds accurate. I was going by my experience with losing OD on my 4Runner. That was a relatively easy fix. This sounds like I have to pull the transmission and start playing operation or spend a ton to have it done yeah?
Thank you!

Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 AM
If a seal is damaged, then a rebuild is going to be required.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds like a valvebody issue. There is a separate solenoid for reverse if I remember correctly, but I think it may even have a plunger; which, has either an o-ring or a scarf seal depending on which vendor made what Ford used for that particular build. Its very possible to repair this with the transmission still in the truck if you're careful. It's not all that different from putting in shiftkits from the old days. Drop the pan, pull the valvebody, repair on the bench. Reinstall, new filter, fill with fluid.

Investigate before you blame the gearbox completely.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by ThrillsMan79
That sounds like a valvebody issue. There is a separate solenoid for reverse if I remember correctly, but I think it may even have a plunger; which, has either an o-ring or a scarf seal depending on which vendor made what Ford used for that particular build. Its very possible to repair this with the transmission still in the truck if you're careful. It's not all that different from putting in shiftkits from the old days. Drop the pan, pull the valvebody, repair on the bench. Reinstall, new filter, fill with fluid.

Investigate before you blame the gearbox completely.

Hope this helps.
this is good news. Thank you!
anyone have a pdf parts manual for this tranny?

Trending Topics

Old 03-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kencart
this is good news. Thank you!
I don't, but I think you would do well to find an "old-timer" type shop to do this for you; or at the very least talk to the old-timer first before you attempt it.
I say "old-timer" shop because most "modern" shops are going to have parts-swapper style employees that don't know they even have a butt, much less know their butt from a hole in the ground.
Transmission valvebodies are like carburetors, lose one check ball or spring and the whole thing becomes useless.

This next bit may read a bit strange, but follow me-
The guy/gal you're looking for is the shop that builds transmissions for drag racers, he'll know how to do it. To find this guy, go to your nearest dragstrip and talk to some of the racers, and "be a fan"; some of them will actually talk to you. Ideally, the racer you want to talk to won't necessarily be high-end, because some of the well-financed rigs are assembled using "modern" shop parts. You want to find the racer that is "enthusiast" and he'll likely be driving a car in the "door slammer" or "pro street" class; cars that could be driven to the track; ergo, no parachute cars. Once you get a rapport, ask about their car, find out who built the transmission.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ThrillsMan79; 03-01-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Online parts manuals are available online from a number of the companies who supply parts to the rebuild industry. You should be able to find more that one in under a minute using Google.

Quick Reply: Reverse issue