Reverse went out in my 2005 F150.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, can i get anyone to help me with finding a transmission for my 2005 F150 4x4 5.4L
Automatic . Shifter center floor. Suggestions, phone numbers ?! Im here in South Alabama right on the Ga. State line going into Columbus Ga. I was told that theres a reverse band in the transmission that has busted cuz 2days ago when turning around in my driveway it sounded like i rammed into something behind me and thetes nothing there to hit but the reverse is gone!!! The truck has over 200,000 . And to think i was just fixn to have the transmission serviced cause i knew it was time for it again. When i bought it 4yrs ago, i chkd the carfax on it and it said now, that it had been serviced, along with a tune up. But i believe where the last owner took it being a dealership they didnt give it the correct tune up. The coils looked liked they were still from the factory. Cause ive had to replace 4 plugs and coils. I have someone that works at one of the ford dealerships around here and hes the head mechanic and he brought home the little computer that reads whats going on and it was first 2 plugs and coils then a lil bit later down the road it was 2more. And the reason for knowing is cause the truck starts shuttering and doesnt have much pick up power when entering the highway. And its doing it again now. And NO i cant ask that mechanic for help cuz i dont know him well enough to. My exhusbands the one who knows him. ANYWAY! IM just wanting some feed back on somewhere, anywhere i can be trying to find a transmission. I guess to start would be the junk yards. But thats why i joined on here so that i could ask you guys who know! Cuz im being honest here, i dont know too much about vehicles. I know somethings, i maintain it by keeping it serviced. But now that im on my own i dont have anyone that i can trust to wrk on my truck. And im not guna let 2 or 3 different people touch it cuz then i'd really have a mess. And i cant afford the dealerships plus im not to keen on dealerships. Ive wrkd at a few in my life time. Ive been in the automotive field for about 25 yrs. But i went from the dealerships in parts departments to Automotive paint and supplys. Not in it anymore but would like to be again. Anyway.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Hi,
im in need of an answer to what happened to the reverse in the transmission. Its a 4whdr 5.4L Lariat 2005. Its got about 210,000. So im going down my long dirt driveway and stopped to turn around at the powerlines to go back to the house and as im backing up, it went "BAM" like i hit something from behind doing about 10 mph. It felt like a jerk too . I was told it was peobly the reverse band, that it had busted . The video said that its notorious for these trucks at around 150,000 to 230,000 miles. I kbow that every 50,000 you should have one serviced with new fluids and gaskets. And ive only had it going on 4yrs. I was just about to get it serviced to and then this happened. Just this past tuesday.
So my question is,,, What should i do?! Should i have it chkd out to see if the band is the only problem?!, or should i have it rebuilt?!, or should i search for another from a junk yard?!
Please can you give me some advice! I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks! 😞

Old 09-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Either rebuild it or replace it. If you find a good junkyard one, that's a good option. If you get a bad junkyard trans you get to do that job twice.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would go with replacing it. Look around online for one that has a warranty that also includes labor. Do some research and calling.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Ok, Thank you for your suggestions! And though where exactly would i go about looking online for one with a warranty and the labor?! Im sorry i have no clue as where to start with this! Thats why i joined this site cuz im on my own now and have to take care of things myself. So any advice or suggestions, im open to hear or see them! Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Ask around and do some research online to try to find a trustworthy local transmission shop.

It will be expensive, but you can buy a remanufactured transmission from a Ford dealer which will have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. This warranty also covers labor if the dealer installs it.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The last option glc mentioned is the best. If you can shell out the money and plan on keeping the truck.

Quick Reply: Reverse went out in my 2005 F150.