Getting Ready to Install Transgo Kit - 4R100

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting Ready to Install Transgo Kit - 4R100

I getting ready to install a Transgo kit in my F-250 / 4R100 tranny. The kit looks fairly straight forward, but I was wondering if anyone had feedback on what size to make the shift control passages in the valve plate that comes with the kit. According the the instructions, the larger the holes are, the firmer the shifts get. The holes start out a .053 and the instructions give some guidance on what the next larger sizes should be for firmer shifts (how firm is firm?). Are the standard holes good enough...? I want a good firm shift, but not to the point that I'm going to get whiplash I'd also preffer not to have to drop the pan and valve body multiple times - not to mention the oil used. Any other feedback on the kit is very welcome - I'll post my results from the installation.

Dan

Old 12-07-2001, 07:12 PM
I know it's been a while, but how did your Transgo and Sonnex install go? I'm about to install the Transgo so I'm gathering up all the tidbits I can!

Old 12-08-2001, 10:01 AM
Familyride,

I posted a summary of my experiences in another posting, but, in a nutshell, everything went very well. The biggest decision you have to make is how large to make the openings that control the shift firmness. The drills that come with the kit give a nice clean shift, but I ended up opening the 1-2 shift orfice larger. Like I said, I have the details in my other posting - search for my postings. The biggest issue is that you'll probably end up dropping the pan more that once (I did it 3 times) - between adding the SONAX valve, and adjusting the shift openings. I assume you also going the change the filter..... I don't know if your transmission pan has a dain plug (mine did), but if it doesn't, you should either buy a pan that has a drain plug, or install a plug in your pan - it makes life A LOT easier - especially if have to drop the pan multiple times, and for regular maintanence. Plan on getting oil EVERYWHERE..... I still have the cheap oil in, but have AMSOIL synthetic waiting to go in - just as soon as I get up the will power to get back under the truck

Take your time and think everything thru and you'll be fine.

Dan

Old 12-08-2001, 10:39 AM
Thanks Dan.

And yes, I'm planning on installing the 4X4 pan and filter for the plug primarily but I'll take the extra quart and a half or so too.

And I'm also planning on one stab! I'm drilling mine out to the second level (V8/V10) as they call it now. I'm going with advise from a few including a guy locally (and from here) that has installed it in both his Expy and his "L". His Expy got V8/V10 and the "L" got level 3, diesel.

One thing I'm not sure about that that's replacing the line mod valve with the Sonnex. I hadn't planned on it but after seeing that the Transgo for the 4R100 is nothing more than replacing the springs and adding the seperator plate, I'm thinking maybe more fluid flow isn't a bad thing.

Now if I could get Amsoil to respond maybe I'd get the tranny fluid on the way. otherwise it's Mobil 1.

Old 12-08-2001, 04:12 PM
Family,

In regards to the Sonax valve, I agree, that's why I ordered it after I had the Transgo installed....

As for the Amsoil, I ordered off the Amsoil web page.

http://www.amsoil.com/

Good luck, you'll really like the results.

Dan

Old 12-08-2001, 04:55 PM
Thanks Dan. And that's where I ordered the Amsoil. Over a week and no contact after I've replied 3 times to the order and email address they ask you to coorespond with. Part of it is the fact that I'm an AT&T Broadband customer and @Home shut AT&T down so I've got a new email address; but I've emailed it 2 times. Hmmmmm

Quick Reply: Getting Ready to Install Transgo Kit - 4R100