E4OD and 302?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E4OD and 302?

I've recently purchased and finished off Ford's GT-40 302 long block from the SVT catalogue. I'm really very pleased with the performace we got off the dyno and I'm interested in putting it in my '98 F150WS. It currently has that lackluster 281 that even with chipping, FIPKing and installing a Borla cat-back system on doesn't seem to move like my old F150 that had a screaming 302 with an automatic.

So, my question is this. Will a 302 mount up to an E4OD? I've called Maxwell, Covert, Lief Johnson and Munday Ford here in Austin and they've been excessively unhelpful as they will not even provide a simple yes or no. The truck is long out of warranty so that's not the issue.

Would it be better just to buy a built C4 and do the proper driveshaft swap and perhaps replace the back end with a good, stoud Ford 9?

I loved my old 302 and by the time I was done with it, I was getting 460 horses at the flywheel. I'd love to have that in my new truck.

Old 12-09-2001, 01:57 AM
Don't do it!

Stop! You are about to destroy the tranny, that nice new GT-40 and maybe even the truck itself. Your best bet is to get rid of that thing in a hurry! Send me your address and I'll come pick it up before you do something you will regret!

My '95 came stock with an E4OD and a 302. The only concerns would be the PCM changes. Don't know if you could get a chip for your code that would run the 302 and tranny. You may have to swap for a computer out of a 302 truck. This could be a problem as well, and may take some thought and research.

BTW, what kind of numbers did you get from the 302, and what cam and induction did you go with?

Old 12-09-2001, 08:13 PM
Induction is handled by Weber IDFs and a custom manifold from Redline that sings sweetly under WOT. Am going to have to punch holes through the hood for the stacks but it will be oh so worth it.

The cam is Ford's M-6250-E303. Had great luck with the whole package in the past and decided to repeat it.

By the time it was all said and done, 384 blue ponies galloped. I'm sure if I went with other, more exotic parts that I could drag out a whole lot more but I think that's sufficient for a longbed daily driver.

Old 12-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "narrow flange case" E4OD will bolt to a 302, you'll need to find a PCM from a truck that came equipped that way.

G

Old 12-09-2001, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, if you need one, I can build you one that will bolt up to it, I do custom internals etc...

I'm a Ford Factory Technician, (4R100 repairman, Sharonville Transmission Plant).

GBEvans@peoplepc.com

Quick Reply: E4OD and 302?