Can't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't shift out of park

I know this is an old topic, but mine seems to act a bit differently.

I have a 2004 Lariat with console shifter. I've removed the console trim to expose the override button just left of the shifter. Pressing the button does nothing to get my truck out of park. When I start the truck and press the brake pedal, the override button goes down (as I suspect it is supposed to do). No manner of pressing the override button, pressing the brake pedal, or running the shifter forward and back will release the transmission. The shifter used to kind of "click in" on each gear selection, but no longer. It's quite smooth with a few "detents" as a way to describe it.

Any tips?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
I forgot to add, all of the brake lights light up when the brake is applied (including the 3rd brake light). I don't think it's a brake relay/solenoid/etc. or bad bulb that's preventing the transmission from shifting, but maybe I'm still wrong.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the shifter cable broke. Chock the wheels, put someone in the truck, climb under the truck and watch the shift lever on the transmission as they work the shifter.

D

Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM
You nailed it. The shifter linkage bushing at the transmission is worn out and the linkage popped off. Need to replace the bushing and press back onto the transmission shifter. Should be cheap and easy to do. Thanks for the advice!