Identify Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify Transmission?

Can someone tell me where the tag on the transmission (or printing/stamp) is that tells me which transmission I have?

It's a 2005 F-150, automatic, 2 wheel drive, 4.6 engine, 4R70E

I'm getting a "trans fault" error and a repair shop said I need a new/used transmission.

There seems to be 2 possible versions of the 4R70E.

car-part.com shows 2 for the 4.6 and 2 wheel drive, and the salvage yard said the same thing when I called them.

I need to get under and look at the transmission itself. Where exactly on the transmission would the tag be?

Thank you!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Why don't you just have yours rebuilt?

Just because you are getting a trans fault doesn't necessarily mean you need a rebuild/replacement - it all depends on what the codes are. I'd take it to a different shop that knows transmissions a bit better. It may just need something that's easily replaced without having to tear the whole thing open.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Play_Farmer
Can someone tell me where the tag on the transmission (or printing/stamp) is that tells me which transmission I have?

It's a 2005 F-150, automatic, 2 wheel drive, 4.6 engine, 4R70E

I'm getting a "trans fault" error and a repair shop said I need a new/used transmission.

There seems to be 2 possible versions of the 4R70E.

car-part.com shows 2 for the 4.6 and 2 wheel drive, and the salvage yard said the same thing when I called them.

I need to get under and look at the transmission itself. Where exactly on the transmission would the tag be?

Thank you!
It would be helpful if you list all the DTCs that are stored.

The trans ID tag is on the passenger side of the case next to the cooler line fittings. IF Its a Factory Reman trans, the tag is expoxied on the bell housing, usually on the drivers side, but not always.

OEM tag on passenger side of case;

where the tag would be if its a factory reman transmission;

Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't complicate your life with all that.

You can use any of the automatic transmissions out of a 2wd F150 from 2005-2007 as long as it is a 4R7xx (the x's can be 0's, 5's W's or E's) and was behind either a 4.6 or 5.4 Any of these will be a direct, bolt in swap with no changes needed. They are literally all the same. There used to be some differences that would matter, but that all changed in 2005. 08 was coming up on a transition year so be careful there and 09 and newer won't work electronically as a straight in swap. So if it physically looks like yours from tip to tail then any 05-07 will work. Same for from a Van, Expedition. One from a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis could also be used, but you really have to watch those because there were 2 different lengths on the tailshaft and extension housing and thus you need to measure.

There are definitely years that cannot directly swap without issues or changes needed. You got lucky having a vehicle from a time when the door is really wide.

D