Stacked Plate Vs. Finned

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Stacked Plate Vs. Finned

Hello everyone, I just got my Transgo kit but am still investigating tranny coolers. I like how the stacked plate types look like stock but do they cool as well as the finned type?

Well, which do you like better and why? I'd like your opinions, good or bad.

TIA, LE PEW

Old 09-17-2001, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tranny Cooler

I give a thumbs up to the B&M supercoolers. I recently installed mine on my 99 F150 and it fits really well and is tougher then nails, which the finned ones are not and always get banged up and look terrible, besides not telling how less effective they are with bent fins. Also, although i'm unable to give a direct quantity of cooling ability, it definatly does make a difference in temperature. I go the 24,000 GVWR rated cooler because Heat is any transmissions enemy. Also, i installed amsoil synthetic atf and a B&M shift improver kit and couldn't be happier. I just purchased a 4200# trailer and needed to set it up this way. Remember to install the cooler on the tranny return line which was the lower one on the radiator on my truck.

Also, FYI.... when you install any cooler, you probably won't be able to find a fitting to mate with Ford's tranny lines, so i flared out the end of the rubber reinforced tubing by opening needle nose pliers while inside the rubber hose and then slipped it over the flared end of the tranny line tubing. A little harder to get on, but i feel it's better then cutting the tranny line with tubing cutters. If i ever have a hose break, i can just pull the hose off, and screw in the fitting back into the radiator and i can be on my way.

just my opinion

but i'd definately go with the stacked one like B&M's

Old 09-17-2001, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always heard the stacked plate were better at cooling. But, I have no proof. Certainly it is more durable.

Old 09-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A stacked plate cooler is less restrictive to cooler line fluid flow.

Mark

Quick Reply: Stacked Plate Vs. Finned