Replacing tranny

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing tranny

Hi new to site

Inherited a 2005 f150 xlt 5.4 has about 115k miles. Truck is paid off so Im thinking better to keep and repair than buy another one. Tranny rebuilt about a year ago and is slipping. Was done cheaply by a friend of a friend. I tow a 21ft boat 5k lbs. Should I get a reman ford Tranny or is there a better option. A shop told me I could put a Allison on this truck and never worry about it again? Not to educated on this any help is appreciated.
Ty

Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
A good transmission shop should be able to replace your trans for less money than Ford. I don't know if Aamco is reputable now. They used to rip off people, so bad that the attorney generals of 12 states got together and went after them. A good local shop would be what I would pursue. If you put something different in it, there are the computer controls to sort out. I don't know anything about that.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:17 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
A Ford reman may be expensive, but it has a better warranty than anything else - 3 year/unlimited mileage.

I don't see how an Allison would work, that's a GM tranny.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by glc
A Ford reman may be expensive, but it has a better warranty than anything else - 3 year/unlimited mileage.

I don't see how an Allison would work, that's a GM tranny.
Yeah it was my dad's truck he passed last November. I want to fix it up. Starting with the tranny.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Eacue
Yeah it was my dad's truck he passed last November. I want to fix it up. Starting with the tranny.
Called local ford dealer. They quoted 2238 for a reman tranny plus labor. I think I'll go that route. Then I have to change the rear end diff it's from a junk yard lol.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Aamco used to have a life time warranty. Maybe they still do.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
They still offer it as an optional extra.

With an AAMCO Lifetime Service Agreement, your transmission is covered for as long as you own your car, no matter how many miles you drive it over the years. The Lifetime plan covers your transmission and torque converter against defective transmission materials, as well as parts and labor, as long as you own your car.

The AAMCO Lifetime Service Agreement is null and void if the failure is caused by accident or alterations, if the covered vehicle is converted from a passenger vehicle to a commercial vehicle or is used for commercial purposes. Be sure to read your AAMCO Lifetime Agreement to fully understand all of your rights and any other restrictions that apply.

The AAMCO Lifetime Service Agreement is not transferable.
* Some charges, exclusions and limitations apply to service agreements.
As I remember, I think you have to take it to them for a fluid change every 12 months.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by glc
They still offer it as an optional extra.

As I remember, I think you have to take it to them for a fluid change every 12 months.
Only issue I have with Aramco is the one in my area has horrid reviews about people being ripped off and transmissions never working right. There is another place near me called gold Coast that has the same kind of reviews. Yeah the dealer is most expensive but I just want it done right the first time.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I know a guy

D

Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I know a guy

D
funny thing... I know a guy too

Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mitymerc
funny thing... I know a guy too
Yeah, there are a lot of guys nowadays. Everyone seems to know one.

My best advice to anyone in need is to look for how long the "guy" has been doing it and weigh both positive and negative end customer feedback. That and warranty, because warranty speaks a lot to confidence in the product. It seems that some "guys" offer an included 2 year parts and lifetime labor on their work. That ain't shabby.

Ford has a warranty that beats the heck out everyone though. Just wish they put as much into the quality of the product.

Good news is that there are some pretty good guys out there. I'm sure we can both attest to that.

D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing tranny