Baumann kit: unimpressed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baumann kit: unimpressed

I'm going to talk to Greg as soon as I can get through to him. However, during installation, I was unimpressed with the proposed modifications.

After installation, I can definitely feel a change in shifts. Don't let that sway your opinion of the kit. Everything shifts much harder, quicker, for sure. No more shudder. No more stalls into gears. No more guessing for the transmission to down/up shift.

But one thing I did not like was, I can't break my tires loose for the life of me! (I shouldn't be so hard on myself though, because I have a 4x4, Extended Cab with 32 inch tires) But, I can definitely get thrown back in my seat during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Even on the highway, the 3-OD shift, the truck will jump forward in the air. But, I can't break my tires loose.

Now, for the dissapointment:

The instructions being out of date was sometimes frustrating. There were NO wires to disconnect (which was actually a relief). But, I was laying underneath the valve body, looking for wire harnesses while warm trans fluid was dripping on my forehead, arms and in my eyes.

The holes to be drilled were about 8 or 9. I drilled out TWO plus two more for the sonnax sleeve and plunger valve. All of my holes were already the reccomended size (even for stage 4 which is what I decided to go with before installation). I thought about going to stage five, however, I felt, it wouldn't make a difference where it counted. The holes I drilled were for the 3-OD shifts, 3-2, or 2-1 downshifts.

The non permanent modifications were a little more pleasing. However, for the Torque Correction mod, the replacement (shorter) spring was shorter than stock. How could that increase pressure?

And there was another little filter that was laying on topof the valve body that inserted into the trans case. I didn't know where this was supposed to go until half an our later that looked like the same shape as the base of the filter.

I think, overall, I was unimpressed with the kit. How could a few mere coil spring spacers 0.024 inches thick make a difference in drive. But they did. I think $145 for the kit plus sonnax's plunger valve and bipass valve was way too much.

However, the kit does make a noticeable improvement. So, I'm not completely unsatified.

Sorry for the long post. Just had to get this off my chest.

- Joel

Old 08-21-2001, 08:47 PM
Joel,
Unless you supercharge this truck I don't think you will break the tires loose.

I don't think any shift kit is going to increase HP..
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. : (

JT

PS: after a few weeks with the kit I am pleased with the way it runs..

Old 08-22-2001, 09:23 PM
It's not necessarily the length of the spring, but the stiffness of the spring that matters. The stiffer the spring, the more pressure required to activate the valve.
GDG

Old 08-26-2001, 07:06 PM
not so unimpressed now

all the things i found to be unacceptable turned out to already be known. but i wished greg would have told me these things. things such as the electric wire harness, already large holes to be drilled, and the missing D hole.

And now, I have found out that I need to insert 0.340 inches of spacers in the 1-2 accumulater.

after that, the tranny will be fine. but i think i lost the spacers that came with the kit. woops.

Joel

Old 08-31-2001, 11:54 AM
update

Just for the sake of updating.

I have contacted Greg. He commented on the short spring for the Line Pressure Control and Torque Correction. He said it's not the length of the spring. It's the stiffness. You were right GoGoDog.

I couldn't find the spacers from the kit. But he said I could use washers from a hardware store. I can stack four washers 1" od, 3/8" id to obtain the 320 thousandths of an inch to replace the ones I lost that came with the kit. This afternoon, I will be performing the installation. And I will reply again after the installation (if it stops raining here in CS). And another time a few weeks after the adjustment.

He also said, "Ford has actually been doing a good job of keeping the transmission flow into and out of the valve body at it's most efficient." So, I shouldn't be upset at all about not drilling any holes in the separator plate.

So, as each day passes, I become less concerned of the installation (to pretty much not concerned at all) and more happier with the performance of the new shifting characterisitics.

Sorry to dissapoint. I can't wait to break my tires loose (jk).

-Joel

Old 09-02-2001, 10:51 AM
heh

if u like to break your tires loose, you should have got a 5-speed manual, because i definatly have no problem doing that with my 4.2

as for a shift kit, the only purpose is to make the trans put the power to the road, by making it shift on demand (if you have it set up that way) and quicken the shifts (increase hydrulic pressure).

Old 09-03-2001, 01:32 PM
aft installation update

Ok. I'm getting more and more comfortable with changing my transmission fluid. The mess of dropping the pan and laying on my back isn't so uncomfortable anymore. I just get down there, get the job done so I can get out of there. When working on the body, fluid still flows down my hands and forearms. But it wouldn't be fun if it weren't messy.

Spacers are in and transmission went back together: no problem. I was kind of affraid because getting the 1-2 accumulator back in was very difficult. Actually, with little pressure on the holding cup, the accumulator was sticking out. I had to hold excessive force with one hand while trying to squeeze the c-clip pliers and push the clip in place. That was very fun. I cussed out of excitement when the clip relaxed in place. And knowing that the tough part was over.

I love my transmission. The spring spacers were definitely the source of my depression. It shifts so wonderfully now. I've tried to simulate as many different circumstances as possible to facilitate slide shifting, clanking and banging into gear, or shuddering. No such possibility. My transmission now makes my truck jump up and forward into the next gear now.

And although I can't "facilitate traction breaking shifts" from 1-2, 2-3, or 3-OD, I can gaurantee smooth, quick, agressive, and exceedingly responsive transmission characteristics.

Old 09-14-2001, 08:11 PM
Removed Superchip

I removed the superchip for alittle test.
I have the baumann kit on 5 as you may remember.
The truck shifts/runs even BETTER than it did before.
The only thing I have niticed is the speed limiter is now back to 98 mph.
I am still in 'Test mode' : )

Red Bull perhaps you can change the name of this thread now!!!

PS: I hate to see this chip sit on my desk but I can't help but feel the truck is running better. $225.00 OUCH... LOL

Joe T

Old 09-16-2001, 04:55 PM
Joe T,

Do you know which level you had Mike set your Superchip on. I've read, some people requested Mike to set the level to it's highest. I didn't know there were difference.

Another question. How many holes did you drill? I ended up only drilling 2 out of the 6 or 7. I put mine on stage four. I was thinking about putting some extra spacers in my 1-2 accumulator. Everything else is fine. 2-3, 3-OD actually shift harder than the 1-2. The 1-2 is just a very quick shift. Nice though.

Did performance sacrifice after removing the chip? I would think so. I remember having to remove the chip because it was going to the dealer the next day. But I hated it. I had forgotten was a difference the chip made to the shift characteristics. I think I will contact Mike in the next few days.

Good to hear from you.

-Joel

Old 09-18-2001, 06:53 AM
Red Bull,
With the chip in the 1-2 shift is hard & there is a 'lag' between shifts. Its like a hesitation. With the chip out there is zero lag between shifts & the truck accelerates quicker & overall runs smoother.
When I started doing mods to the truck 1 of the 1st things I did was the chip. Now that I have done a few mods the chip doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'm nuts but the truck without question runs better..
As far as holes I drilled. I can't remember but I followed the instructions & there were some holes that were already the size needed..

PS: Maybe I need the chip reprogramed for softer 1-2 shifts. We'll see what happens

Joe T

Quick Reply: Baumann kit: unimpressed