Rear differential slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear differential slip

Have started to notice some slippage from my rear differential that occurs at about 1400-2000 rpm. Feels like a slight jerk and is continuous until a higher rpm is hit. Most of the issue goes away when I turn the O/D off, but it is still there. At 138k, it may be time to be looking at a new rear end, or maybe a new truck. Any ideas?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I think it's more likely a low grade misfire. How many miles on the spark plugs, and what brand are they? It could also be one or more weak coils.

Please post details on your truck - year, model, engine, transmission.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Good thought. I had all the plugs and coils replaced about two years ago at the dealership. Hate having to pay to hook up to the diagnostic,but it may be cheaper than a new rear end. My brother has the same truck, and he has had to replace most of the drive train, but he tows a lot more than I do ( fact is I have only towers a heavy trailer twice, and that was still well below max).

Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
It's WAY cheaper than a new rear end because a new rear end won't fix your problem. It is impossible for a rear end to slip like you describe. Can't happen.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Rear end it is not

Thanks for the advice. I am heading into the dealer to have them chase down which coil is going bad and am armed with far better knowledge than before. Wish I had a good mechanic around here that would charge a ransom for diagnostic and solution.

Quick Reply: Rear differential slip