1997 4wd f150 tranfer case speedometor

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 4wd f150 tranfer case speedometor

i just bought this truck, speedometer does not work correctly,when going 30 it says 100+ i was told that this truck should have a gear on output shaft ,and a gear on speed sensor, i drill a hole in the out put shaft and put gear on shaft. but there must be a difference and the tail shaft housing, the hole where the speed sensor goes is to big for the sensor, and it must have to be at an angle,so the 2 gears match, if so where may i get a tail shaft?
thanks howard

Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
??? You don't have to drill anything?? Do you have a pic of what you are doing?

Here is mine... This is the VSS on the tail shaft. Yes, it's pretty dirty, but it's also got 230,000 miles on it....

Anyway, I pulled this out and swapped the little gear that's attached to it to get my speedo/odo back in sync when I got some LT 265/75/16 tires about 11 years ago.. I got taller tires, so I needed to get a gear with less teeth on it. Stock was 20 teeth and I got one with 19 teeth on it.

Before I changed mine out, my speedo/odo was slower. So I was going 30 mph, but the speedo only showed something like 25 mph..

If you are going 30 mph and it shows 100 mph you have some serious issues or you have some serious rear end gears and/or some really short tires??

What rear end gear do you have and what size tires do you have?

Mitch

Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM
someone has changed tranfeer case before i dought it, it was ele. now maual, with a ele. speed sensor. not a gear. tail shaft does not have a holed drilled fore plastic gear, so i drill it, but now tail shaft housing is not the same.my sender hole is in the center of shaft,your is off set

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey i added 2 photos to the picture album howard. i could not figure out how to add it on this. sorry

Last edited by hmiller; 02-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Howard, I got your PM, but the pic did not come thru on it. I looked at them from your album. There are different ways to post a pic. There is a post on how to do it somewhere on this site..

I'm doing this from clicking on the 'insert image' button from the 'Quick Reply' window and copy/paste your pictures album address (URL) location.

As to your issue, I don't know what to tell you. The electronic speed sensor is calibrated thru the computer as far as I know.. I don't think there is a gear for it?

How your analog gauge cluster is even working with it, I don't know either??

Adding your own VSS sensor, you'd have to match it up to the output shafts gear to engage it. That is, if there is even a gear to match up to?

Sorry I can't be more help for you on it... There are a couple of actual/former Ford Transmission Techs on here that can probably shed some light for you. ("Factory_Tech" and "Mark_Kovalsky" come to mind off the top of my head..)

Good luck!

Mitch

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
what i need is your tail shaft housing.. where can i get one?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
went to junk yard this week found the right tail shaft housing ,it workes fine now

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Good job! Glad you were able to fix it.

Mitch

Quick Reply: 1997 4wd f150 tranfer case speedometor